“I LOVE Lady Liberty!”

USD 49.00*
Twisted Statue Tour: Under the Skirt of Lady Liberty
USD 99.99*
and up
New York City Package: Statue of Liberty Reserve Ticket, THE TOUR and Lunch or...
Ranked #15 of 1,111 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Statue of Liberty Enlightening the World was a gift of friendship from the people of France to the people of the United States and is a universal symbol of freedom and democracy. The Statue of Liberty was dedicated on October 28, 1886, designated as a National Monument in 1924 and restored for her centennial on July 4, 1986.
Kalamazoo, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“I LOVE Lady Liberty!”
Reviewed 16 July 2010

My husband and I visited the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island on 7/2/2010. We took the ferry from Liberty Park in Jersey City, NJ. We arrived at approximately 10:30am and it took approximately 40-45 minutes before we actually boarded the ferry... not too long in my opinion since we had to buy tickets, go through security and wait for the ferry to return. The ferry ride was wonderful and relaxing. The ferry stops at Ellis Island first but we went to Liberty Island first since we were on somewhat of a time constraint. Liberty Island was beautiful, clean and amazing. I love Lady Liberty. We took lots of fantastic pictures, ate lunch (which was quite good for the amount of people) and climbed to the top of the pedestal. Tickets including the pedestal and audio tour were only $20 each. We then took the ferry to Ellis Island... we didn't get to spend as much time as I would have liked, but it was still great. I highly recommend the audio tour at Ellis Island or it seemed like it could get a bit boring. There isn't a ton to see at Ellis Island, but the audio tour made the tour and experience more real and put my imagination to work... with the audio tour I could actually imagine what it was like for immigrants coming into the US. My only regret is that we didn't get to stay at Ellis Island longer (to look at every display) and that we weren't able to get crown tickets to the Statue of LIberty. I went online a month in advance and they were already sold out!

5 Thank brooke2921

34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Not to miss!”
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Non one should go to New York and not see the Statue of Liberty - it's just one of thse landmarks that you have to see! We didn't travel over to the island, we got off the tour bus at the Statue of Liberty stop and looked at it across the water. We didn't have time to do the trip to Liberty island but imagine it would be cool if you ahve the time, if not there's lenty of other things to see and do!

1 Thank emmalh7
Liverpool, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Must see”
Reviewed 10 July 2010

Get a ticket online in advance and get there early. Avoiding the queues makes the experience so much better.

Ignore those that say "don't get off the ferry" and DO get off :) It's great to walk around the island getting different views of the statue, as well as of the other sights in the area.

I never had a ticket to enter the statue itself, but I still had a nice leisurely stroll around the island, taking pictures and resting in the sun taking in the views of Manhattan.

1 Thank Davey1800
Calgary, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A Landmark you must see”
Reviewed 8 July 2010

My wife and I made our first trip to NYC in June. We took the ferry to Liberty Island to visit the statue. One suggestion - go early, the lines get longer and longer as the day goes on. We went around 10:00 am and waited about a half hour, but our tour guide told us the wait could get to 2-3 hours by 2:00 pm. At the statue there isn't a whole lot to do other than take pictures, but its just one of those sights you just have to see if you are in the city. Our tickets allowed us to go inside the monument and up the pedestal to her feet - apprarently its a 6-month wait for tickets if you want to go to the crown. The ferry also stops at Ellis Island - we didn't get off there but that's available to tour around as well. Overall its a unique experience and well worth it.

2 Thank Poacher33
Lancaster PA
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“it is an icon of the United States”
Reviewed 8 July 2010

We visited the Statue of Liberty and then Ellis Island the last week of June. I bought tickets online for the ferry scheduled at 10 am. I bought them two or three weeks ahead of time and printed the tickets at home. You have to have all your party's names and that information is printed on the ticket.
note: be sure where you are buying tickets. The US park service sells tickets but so do private businesses that offer extras.
You can purchase 1. just the ferry ride 2. ticket with admission to the base of miss liberty or 3. ticket with access to the crown.
Choose times and there are a limit to tickets for each time.
The base tix and crown tix sell out quickly. If you buy crown tickets you have to be able to walk about 250 steps to top!!
We arrived early at the ferry area in Battery Park. I asked and we were able to use our 10am tickets and board the 9am ferry. That was really great! If you don't ask , you don't know!! You have to go thru security before getting on the ferry but for some unknown reason if you have base/ museum/ crown tickets you have to go thru a second screening at the liberty island (after the ferry ride). That seemed like it was overdoing it.
We had beautiful weather, and I loved seeing Miss Liberty up close. Get on another ferry when you are ready and then head to Ellis Island. That has a great museum. Then head back to Battery Park.

You can also go to New Jersey and get on a ferry there. I have heard that it is easier to get on in New Jersey if that fits your vacation. Make sure you buy the correct tickets.

PS I think most all of the US government museums/ landmarks have some sort of ability to purchase tickets on line ahead of time. I did that for Liberty Bell in Philly. That is a valuable time saver.

3 Thank abby57