All reviews carlsbad caverns oil field biscuits and gravy room was large breakfast staff yogurt sinks
Reviewed 24 August 2018

On August 13 and 14, 2018, my wife and I, along with another couple, were caravanning to various places in New Mexico for leisure. The other couple had never been to Carlsbad Caverns and so we decided to go there to put a check in that box for them. My wife and I had been to the caverns 3 times previously and stayed at the Stevens Inn Best Western on all 3 of those occasions. It no longer is a Best Western Motel even though the girl behind the counter told me they were! You can call Best Western to verify if you desire at 800-528-1238. Staying there this time was my idea. Never again!

Always before when this was a Best Western Motel, I had pleasant experiences staying there. It's convenient as it has a motel, restaurant, and nightclub all in one. The restaurant has a decent salad bar. Our friends had a room in the 600 series rooms and my wife's room and mine was in the 200 series. Our reservations were made at the same time and we asked for the same type room, a king room for 2 people. Their room had 2 queen beds, a desk chair, a sitting chair with an ottoman. Our room had 1 desk chair and no other chair in the room nor did it have an ottoman.

On the first night I called the front desk and asked for a second chair so that 1 of us did not have to use the bed to sit to watch television. I was told a chair would be sent right over. The chair never showed nor did anyone call saying that it would not show. On the second night I called again and asked for a second chair and the girl that answered the phone said that a chair would be sent right over. After 30 minutes I called back and was told that the other girl was out getting the chair and that she should be there momentarily. Thirty minutes later I called again and was told that there were no more chairs and that either my wife or I would have to sit on the bed.

I walked to the front desk around 7:20 pm and asked the two girls if I could possibly have one of the chairs from the dining room or a desk chair from the lobby to use. I was told no, that would never happen. I then asked to speak to the manager. No manager was on duty. I asked that they call the GM at home and have him to call me directly on my cell number and I gave them my number. I was told that I would be called in about 20 minutes. No one ever called! At 9:00 pm, a maintenance man showed at the door with an extra desk chair!

We were tired and soon went to bed after a long day exploring Carlsbad Caverns. The chair was a day late and a dollar short.

Other complaints I have include large dust bunnies, hair, and dirt on the baseboard and on the floor behind the bathroom door. Close the door and take a look. Also, the two girls behind the desk (both) were mouthy, loud, and not suited to deal with the public.

As directed by the lady behind the counter upon checkout, I wrote the General Manager. She provided me with his business card that included his email address. It's now several days later after writing to him and if Mr. Bobby Forrest reads the reviews of his hotel from Trip Advisor possibly he will get the idea and write me back.

Room Tip: Don't ask for a particular location because you will get what they assign.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

We were very shocked at hotel prices when we were entering Carlsbad New Mexico. They were in the several hundred dollars even for 2 star hotels!And they were all filled! We saw a billboard for Stevens Inn and decided to stop by and check availability . Got a room for $135 (incl breakfast). Clean, roomy,friendly, good breakfast , GREAT steaks at dinner!

FYI: Its all about oil exploration here, hence the high hotel prices. Stevens Inn is privately owned and operated, not a conglomerate so they can control their prices. I highly recommend them!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2_Traveling_gypsies
Reviewed 10 August 2018

My Husband and I stumble on the Stevens Inn after we had Horrible experience with Motel 6. as we walked in to the lobby and spoke with the office manger she found us a room on short notice with out a reservation for 2 nights. I honestly have nothing bad to say about this hotel. the room was very clean nice and roomy. I didn't have to worry about someone messing with my car in the parking. I will definitely stay here again when I travel to Carlsbad.

Room Tip: I had a standard King room on the floor and honetly to me it seem like a suite, I know it wasn't though
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 August 2018

I had compared prices and did my research before booking here, and Stevens Inn exceeded my expectations. The rooms were nicely furnished. The free hot breakfast set us up for a good start to our day of cave touring. All the staff went above and beyond, even when we had a language barrier with some of the housekeeping staff, other staff promptly came to help us. I had left some ice packs behind in the freezer when I checked out in the morning, and did not realize it until the afternoon, so we stopped by on the way out that afternoon, and housekeeping had held onto it and kept it cold for us the whole day! This is where we will stay when we go back to Carlsbad. I just hope they will have availability for us.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2018

The Stevens Inn is a pit. These guys are making a fortune catering to oil field workers on expense accounts who really just need a bed for a night and some crappy breakfast to get them started in the morning. I know because I am one of those workers and I stay there for a week at a time several times a year. They could not keep up the quality standards for a Best Western - a VERY low bar - and so they bought out of their franchise a year or so ago. Since then the place is even worse. There is rarely a time that I don't have a TV that doesn't work, stained floors, shoddy plumbing, etc. And it runs over $150/night. The breakfast used to be half decent, but they must have run off the cook, because it has really gone down hill. Oh and I checked in late due to a delayed flight and they charged me for an extra night and insisted that they didn't. I still haven't go them to remove the extra charge. AVOID!

Room Tip: avoid if you are a tourist or have a family.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business