“Just Keeps Getting Better!!”

The Burrus House Inn
Ranked #6 of 9 Manteo B&B and Inns
Chapel Hill, NC
“Just Keeps Getting Better!!”
Reviewed 4 November 2010

We just got back from another incredible stay on the Outer Banks. It was absolutely unforgettable, thanks to our innkeeper guiding us to great excursions and experiences.
First of all, the Inn is a must stay for its charm and beautiful accommodations. The rooms are spacious, the view is breathtaking, and the attention to the guests is first class. My husband and I fell in love with Vicki, the innkeeper from the moment we made our reservation. She was so gracious and made us feel not just at home, but like royalty. If you're lucky , you may get to chat with Jack, the owner, who is a character.
She recommended The Lone Cedar for dinner, and we were so impressed. It was the best seafood we had ever eaten. Just a lovely restaurant. You must go there as well. Wonderful service, scenery, and food! She then recommended Sam & Omie's for breakfast, which was excellent! It is old Nags Head charm wrapped around a lot of fun. Another must do.
Vicki also helped us on our sight seeing needs. We felt that we had really been exposed to the treasures that the Outer Banks offers. I can't say enough about our trip, or the Inn and its staff. The little gardener was always so cute and cheery in the morning. We plan to return often, and will always stay with Vicki, Jack and the staff at the Burrus House Inn.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rovergirl69

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Walpole, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 October 2010

My Husband and I decided to stay at this Inn because of the availability and the seclusion. We called to ask about prices and what was included, and were treated as an annoyance. When we finally got there, the room was beautiful, although they were still in the process of cleaning the room they showed us. The owner, offered us the room and then preceded to ask us what kind of wine we liked, explaining that we would get a gift basket with the room. We also asked her what restaurants were good, she was again annoyed and not helpful. We then went on our way to the beach. When we came back I was expecting to find our wine basket, but there was nothing. I also asked for an iron or ironing board (things you find in hotels and inns) but she was not available and we did not get it until the day after. (Our romantic dinner was of course that night). Finally the second day there was still no basket and I finally called. She explained that she was unaware, since it was a service that was to deliver them and would reimburse us for the cost of the gift basket. We were leaving the following morning at 4am, so she stated that she would put it back on our credit card, since the basket was part of our room cost. It is Oct and she will not return our calls, or e-mails. And when she did pick up the phone, she would lie and say she was here or there and would call us when she got back to the inn. Although, the room and views were gorgeous... as far as a B&B or Inn, the service was horrible and I will not return due to poor deceitful service.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank aim8802
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 October 2010

My stay at the Burrus House was the most horrible experience that I've ever had in my life. My husband and I travel all over the country and the world and we have never been treated with such disrespect and deception.

My husband and I have a registered service animal that was traveling with us. We were approached by Vicki and asked if we had a dog with us. We said yes and it's a registered service animal. She immediately said "Well what does it do?" She then told us that there was a wedding that was going to be taking place later that day. Since the heat index was 122 degrees that day and since the wedding party had older guests she asked us if we would mind accommodating the wedding party by moving to another hotel that she would pay for. It didn't make sense to us how our staying at the Burrus House would effect the wedding that was being moved inside to accommodate older guests because we were staying on the 4th floor and there aren't any elevators so if the older guests needed a room they'd have to climb 4 flights of stairs in the 122 heat index. At the same time we sensed some discrimination due to our service animal as the Burrus House typically does not allow animals, however the Americans with Disabilities Act requires hotels to allow animals when they prescribed and registered. But since my husband and I were recently married and understand the stress that comes along with weddings, we agreed to change hotels to accommodate the wedding party.

Vicki's promises of reimbursement for the 2 nights that we had already paid for and for the next hotel we moved to to help her out were not fulfilled. Our visit to the Burrus House was June 2010 and it's now October 2010 and my phone calls have not been returned and my credit card company can not help me with my dispute since. My dispute can't be resolved by my credit card company because instead of Vicki paying for my room at the hotel we moved to for her, she made us pay with our credit card. However, the hotel we moved to didn't accept American Express. Since we paid the Burrus House with American Express and the next hotel with a Visa, my claim has no stake with the new hotel and Vicki apparently is not legally bound to her promises.

I wouldn't recommend the service at this B&B to anyone. Not only do I feel that we were forced out due to our service animal and discriminated against Vicki was completely untruthful and unresponsive to my repeated follow-up for my refund that was promised to me.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank RockyCollins
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 9 September 2010

My second stay in as many weeks and it couldn’t have been any better!! I can’t stop raving about it. I have been coming to the Outer Banks for over 10 years and just found this gem. The entire inn is absolutely lovely from top to bottom. The interior is beautifully appointed, feeling very luxe and comfortable at the same time. If I had a beach house of my own, I would want it to look and feel just like this! The inn has a very unique architectural design with exceptional space planning. Not only can you enjoy quiet seclusion but there are plenty of common space areas to gather if you vacation with friends or family. The owner knew what he was doing when planning a “home away from home” ….only BETTER…where you can feel pampered and relaxed. I can’t remember ever going on vacation and feeling like I would rather stay in and enjoy the accommodations rather than hit the beach or see the sights! I can’t think of a better compliment for the wonderful owner and staff (the kindness of the staff was the icing on the cake). BTW - There are fireplaces in every room, so my husband and I can’t wait to go back later in the fall, for a totally different beach experience.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LOVEManteo
Clayton
Reviewed 8 September 2010

My wife and I were looking for romantic getaway. The Burrus House Inn was exactly what we needed. The bed was heavenly. The staff were so friendly helpful and accommodating. The sunrise and sunsets painted the sky across the water.

The Burrus House Inn is beautiful inside and out. The location is great too with easy access to local attractions in Manteo. It's also a short drive to great locations like Nags Head, Kitty Hawk and Corolla.

The only place we enjoyed as much as the Burrus Inn was staying on a cruise ship.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank weekendretreatcdc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manteo
Elizabethan Inn
Cameron House Inn
Cameron House Inn
#1 of 9 in Manteo
The White Doe Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Burrus House Inn? Share your experiences!