“Loved the Crack Shack”
Review of The Crack Shack

The Crack Shack
Ranked #112 of 5,244 Restaurants in San Diego
Description: Admittedly, we’re a little cocky. Forget about what came first. We’ve intentionally crafted both the chicken and the egg for you to enjoy with reckless abandon and the assurance that you’re savoring every bite of locally raised, free-living chickens without a care or antibiotic in them - just as nature intended. Out of our culinary coop comes everybody’s favorite animal that crossed the road, reimagined: Southern California fried chicken and egg fare in the sunny SoCal spirit of inspired cuisine, spacious ambiance, lawn games, and craft drinks for any occasion, helmed by Top Chef’s Richard Blais. There are no shortcuts when you give a cluck.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

The Crack Shack had very tasty food. We ordered food at the counter and chose a table by the giant rooster. Our food came in a timely manner and there was a sauce bar where you could choose over 6 different sauces to try. The drink station also had some unique soda choices. I liked the outdoor seating and there was also a bocce ball court to play on. The Crack Shack also had valet parking for patrons. I would definitely go back to get a fried chicken sandwich and the deviled eggs. A unique dining experience that was affordable and enjoyed by the whole family.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

My first exploration into the salads of Crack Shack and it was a success!!

I ordered the chopped salad and added sliced fried chicken breast.

I ordered the salad to stay/eat-in and so the salad arrived, served on one of their classic silver trays.... literally in/on the tray, no plate!! It works! It’s a generous portion and it matches the relaxed setting of the outdoor eatery.

Lots of families were eating there today and kids seem to love the menu as much as the adults.

There is something for everyone...

It’s an outdoor/covered seating area that offers bocce ball, a giant chicken (see photo), big screen tvs, a full bar, and plenty of picnic tables for open seating.

Lines can form a quickly and lead to long waits so pack your patience and a smile!

Parking is available on-street or valet. Valet is not hosted. My suggestion is to go with the valet. There’s a lot of construction in the area and parking is tight.

This area has become quite gentrified and so there are a lot of cute shops around. Enjoy the area, Little Italy is just a few blocks away.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

There are no Publix grocery stores outside of the SE, and there were no great fried chicken spots in SD, until The Crack Shack. Read the card on the tray that explains that the chicken is not injected. It’s the freshest, not grown by chemicals-chicken, ever. Everything chicken is amazing from traditional, to boneless sandwich and slaw topped. Yes, the cost is more and yes it’s totally worth it. @richardblais is genius and we don’t have to fly to the south to sweat while eating fried chicken.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

On a recent visit to San Diego for work I reconnected with some friends I used to work with in Okinawa. Two of us are from the Southeast (Southern Virginia and North Carolina), and somehow we ended up going to this Fried Chicken place in the midst of a Mecca of Asian, Mexican and Middle Eastern food paradise! We sat at the bar and had difficulty choosing from a great selection of beers - though this isn't usual for San Diego. I had the Firebird which is fried chicken thigh Sandwich with ranch and crispy onions. We also ordered Mexican Poutine Fries which are their Schmaltz Fries with pollo asado (chicken) with jalapeno cheese. Compared to Southern Fried Chicken the sandwich was just okay and a little pricey (what can I expect in San Diego?) The fries were pretty good and salvaged the food experience for me. The outdoor atmosphere was nice and the wait staff very friendly with great service. Enjoyed the reunion with friends at this place, but if it were up to me I'd pick another restaurant.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Checked this out due to trip advisor reviews. Very long line. Waited for about 45 minutes. The food was good but The wait was too long. Prices were reasonable. Not much explanation by staff on where sauces were or that food was getting brought in.
I probably would skip this place next time I go to San Diego.