“Four day trip to visit college nearby...”

Ramada San Diego Airport
Ranked #146 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I hesitated booking this hotel due to mixed reviews I had read. I chose to go ahead and book because they offered airport transportation and breakfast at a decent price. We had a King size bed room on the second floor and was pleased. This is not a brand new five star hotel but it is better than a dive by far. Very comfortable bed & pillows.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,430)

Reviewed 15 February 2012

We don't recommend this hotel. The hallways are old and smelly, rooms redecorated but finish work in bathrooms old and shabby. The final straw was a 2 inch cockroach in the bathroom. I told the management about it, and got bupkis. Interesting that the front desk called us 15 minutes after checking in "to see if everything was ok", but customer service isn't really what they have. Unsecured outer doors at the end of the hallways was a concern also.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Marcy M
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Let me get ny one concern out of the way first. There are outside stairways, each one with doors to each floor, and they don't get locked. Ever. These days, that's not only a concern, it's a liability. The hotel does have some haway cams spread around, theough. Amazingly, the breakfast room has a room card reader at the door to keep undesirables from eating the muffins. Go figure. As to the good side, the staff is absolutely fantastic. They're not pretending to be couteous and thoughtful, as with so many other properties. The room is comfortable. I had a fantastic view of the harbor from both the room and balcony.Although it's fairly close to the airport, my room on the top floor was quiet and I had the best hotel sleep I can remember. The famous Gas Light District of San Diego (a must visit) is a mere 4 miles down Harbor. The hotel has some age on it and, yes, the elevator is so slow it must run on compressed molassis, but my stay was sill a pleasant surprise. I go to San Diego now and then, and I'll be back to this Ramada.

Room Tip: Get the upgraded King and ask for an end room facing the harbor.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Global-track
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Four of us stayed in two rooms, and the hotel staff put us together in adjoining rooms that were separated from the other rooms on the floor by a hallway on the 3rd floor of the corner wing. It was nice to open the connecting door and share all the space. Getting the shuttle from the airport was easy, and they offered shuttle service to the cruise port as well.

The rooms were clean, had great comfortable beds, and the usual refrigerator and microwave.

We also had small outdoor balconies. You can see from the photo that it is an older property, but it has been nicely renovated. We checked across the hall and saw that some king size rooms had a nice view of the marina that was across from us.

Other reviews have commented on the elevator, and I agree it is small, but we managed just fine and often used the stairs. I noticed that there were accessible rooms handily located on the ground floor.

The breakfast was cereal, make-you-own waffles, pastries, yogurt, toast, that sort of thing. Denny's is a short walk away if you want bacon and eggs. The breakfast room was well maintained. Here I saw families, older couples, and a few businesspeople.

There was an outdoor pool area with lounge chairs but it was a little bit too cool outside to try, but it looked appealing and would be popular in warmer weather, I imagine.

The neighborhood, which I think is called Point Loma, has small restaurants, stores, and the marina all just outside. There is a huge shopping complex a short cab ride away. I thought we might be isolated from all the sights, but since we've been to San Diego before it didn't bother us. Having a rental car would make getting around easy and there is free parking at the hotel, but we didn't feel the need to get one.

All in all we had a very pleasant 3 night stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor facing the water.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank cnd_vacation_luvr
Reviewed 13 January 2012

cheap, cheerful, clean, ok breakfast, good location, friendly airport shuttle.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo