My husband had to work in SD for a week, and I tagged along. We chose the Old Town Inn because it was within the moderate price range his company allowed and offered a kitchenette (nice for a somewhat extended stay).
The room was clean, comfortable, fairly spacious, and had a mini fridge, microwave, sink, range--we requested the kitchen supplies, which were just about anything you could ask for, including toaster. (Eating in the room is such a great way to save money on food and eat more healthily.)
When we first got to our room and found it was very dark, we asked if we could change to a sunnier room, which the manager(? not sure--the woman at the front desk) did her best to remedy--the room she put us in got more natural light, but was still pretty dark.
- My husband is picky about hotel beds, but he loved the mattress. Says he would return just for the comfy bed.
- Staff was friendly and helpful
- ample continental breakfast included waffles, cereal, bagels, pastries, fruit, hardboiled eggs
- five-minute walk from Old Town State Historic Park
- grounds were pleasant, well kept (I enjoyed lounging poolside--the water was warm, though I didn't go in)
- cozy, welcoming lobby with armchairs and DVD library
- internet cable in room (safer than Wi-Fi)
- even the room we were transferred to was still pretty dark (maybe because all the rooms that have kitchenettes are in the corner of the building, and the rooms that get light don't have kitchenettes?)
- we had some trouble trying to fiddle with the termostat to get it the right temperature
- the neighborhood felt, to me, kind of unsafe for pedestrians (fast moving traffic with nothing between the sidewalk and the road), though there were plenty of people walking around
Overall, we had a great stay and would gladly come back--seems like a great value for what you pay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our rates reflect what we are, a modest AAA 2 Diamond property, family owned with a priority on customer service. Great central location, commercial pocket – we joke that we are nowhere but right next door to everywhere. Amenities include a complimentary expanded continental breakfast, free wireless internet and parking, and heated outdoor pool. Children 12 and under stay free. Pet friendly. We have a wide selection of room types, including large apartments with kitchens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Old Town Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Old Town Hotel San Diego
- Old Town Inn San Diego
- Old Town San Diego