“Two days ON THE BEACH”
Review of Ocean Park Inn

Ocean Park Inn
Ranked #29 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I had a wonderful two days here, I agree with those who stayed longer...I wish I would have stayed an extra day, at least. The parking here is underground which is great-no street parking necessary. The desk personnel is very friendly and helpful. As a matter of fact the desk called shortly after I checked in to make sure everything was satisfactory. I believe his name was Matt. As it turned out I had done something plugging in the coffeemaker and the plug didn't work. He brought an extra coffee filter for me (since it was 4 or 5PM and I was already trying to make coffee); so that I would have a fresh pot for the morning and fixed the plug for me. I had a beautiful room on the beach (with a boardwalk in between) and a nice little patio so I could sit outside with coffee or a glass of wine & watch the spectacular sunsets along with the many, many surfers and of course skaters, joggers, bicyclists, and skateboarders. The room was spacious and clean & the bed was comfy with nice soft sheets. The lower patio areas have a fence all around which makes it very safe. I slept with the patio door open so I could go to sleep to the sound of the surf. and breathe fresh ocean air. The second night I was there it drizzled then rained all night. Still great. Continental breakfast was yummy, with a very nice wheat bread & little containers of peanut butter. I couldn't wait to get up have toast with peanut butter and delicious coffee and juice. The Firehouse restaurant & bar are a short walk across from the front door. There are a couple of pubs with outdoor eating areas and a 7-11 and a Ralph's within walking distance. One would never have to move the car.

Room Tip: I agree with one of the previous reviewers; the rooms facing the Firehouse were probably noisier, bu...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Mat R, Front Office Manager at Ocean Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2012

In all honesty, one of my favorite activities in Pacific Beach is people watching! Whether you're sitting on your balcony watching the people below pass by on the boardwalk, or you're walking by the restaurants and bars on Garnet St., it simply never gets old. We're all happy you enjoyed your stay and grateful for such a nice review - see you again!

Reviewed 22 May 2012

When planning a trip to San Diego in early May, my BF and I were deciding between staying in Tower 23 and OPI. For the value and location, we were so, so happy with our decison to stay here. We originally booked 2 nights but after spending just a few hours in the hotel, we went to the front desk and asked if we could stay another night. You cannot beat the location, right on the beach, literally walk out the pool door, over the boardwalk and onto the beautiful sand. It is also right next door to 3 excellent restaurants/bars. We tried PB Shore club and PB Ale house. Shore club is good for drinks in the afternoon as the front windows open right up to the beach, it gets pretty bumping at night. We had a good dinner at PB Ale house and watched the sun set over the pacific...beautiful. Back to the hotel itself- I think every room has a balcony with two chairs and a little table which was nice to sit out on in the morning or evening after getting back from the day. It was so relaxing to be able to keep the screen door open and let the cool air from the ocean come in and hear the waves. The pool was nice and the chairs around it were very comfortable. When it got a little cool and breezy on the beach it was nice to be able to go back to the pool and still get sun and warm up a little bit. every staff member we encountered was great. Like I said before, one of the girls at the desk went out of her way to rearrange things so we could stay in our same room for a third night. We truly appreciated that. Rooms were always cleaned quickly and efficiently in the morning. We would go to breakfast at Kono's (a must do, huge breakfst burritos at ridiculously low prices!) and would come back to a clean room. We tried the continental breakfast one morning, it was alright, just your basic breakfast foods. The bathroom was a little dated and the shower wasn't great, at times I could only get very hot water. But the products they left in the bathroom were fantastic, I think you could buy them at the front desk too. We had a rental car, underground parking for $10/day felt very safe and so convenient. There's also a fridge in the room, always good for keeping some cold waters and what have you. If I ever return to San Diego I will most definitely be returning to Ocean Park Inn.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

It sounds like you're quite happy with your decision to stay at the Ocean Park Inn! Whenever guests are on the fence about staying at the any number of the properties in the area, we urge them to do their research. Most guests call back and book with us once they've realized the price for the location and amenities, along with fantastic reviews such as this one, cannot be matched. The next time you stay with us we'll be sure to offer a number of new restaurant/bar options so each time in Pacific Beach can be a new adventure!

Reviewed 22 May 2012

Stayed with my wife & family ( 2 young kids) for a 4 day weekend in May. We arrived early and were very pleasantly greeted by the front desk staff. They had our room ready so we could check in a couple of hours early and the front desk staff was very helpful, offering coupons for services like bike & surf rentals from preferred merchants nearby, to book outings, book reservations for restaurants and also to provide us some beach chairs & toys for our daughter. Very helpful!
When we first walked into our room we were a bit underwhelmed at the decor. It is quite dated but after a few hours we realized it was very similar to other places we stayed in SoCal so it's likely the design popular in the area. The room was spotless as well and quite spacious for a family of 4. We overlooked the ocean and the boardwalk and had a small balcony with 2 chairs & a table which made for great morning coffee & evening drinks area! Beautiful view.
The hotel location is awesome too. Lots of restaurants & pubs nearby and very easy access to the boardwalk. I think the complaints by other posters about the noise of the bars must be room related. From our ocean front room we couldn't hear the bars at all at night even with our patio door open. I suspect the rooms on the South side and the rear (non ocean view) rooms would be louder though as they are across an ally from the nearest bar.
I can't get over the service enough at this hotel. Everyone we encountered was super helpful and really seemed to care that we enjoyed ourselves and were always willing to help in anyway possible. One example when my blackberry died and my charger didn't work I asked at the front desk about a charger and they did an emergency charge for me for an hour or so and the gentleman (I can't remember his name) actually brought me one from his house for the next day so I could borrow it. This is the above & beyond service missing from many hotels but really made us feel at home so to speak. Definitely a choice place to stay in my books. Would rebook again without question on future trips to the area.

Room Tip: Request a beach front room for great views & some quiet. We stayed in 227 and it was very quiet...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Many thanks for all the extremely kind comments regarding our property and staff. We take customer service very seriously, so the staff (especially the front desk team) truly appreciates the feedback and they're very happy to know all of their efforts are paying off! If you decide to head back to San Diego, make sure you keep an eye on our website for any specials!

Reviewed 16 May 2012

hello! i am a mother of a 19month old boy and me and my husband are both nurses with very stressful job demands and this place was very relaxing for us. we stayed from may 6,2012 up to may 11, 2012 and my heart was broken when we left. i am very picky in regards to finding a perfect place for us wherein both me and my husband can relax and my son can have fun as well.. this place is perfect! they gave us what we wanted, a room with an ocean front balcony with fully working microwave and fridge, we couldn't ask for more! the staff were really nice and accommodating, and the place is very clean..I did enjoy my morning walks along the beach and people are very friendly as they walk by as well. the place is near sea world which is very convenient also near garnett st where there was a lot of restaurants you can eat.. we would definitely recommend this place to our family and friends and we'll surely be back for a longer stay next year!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

We're thrilled to hear you found and enjoyed the "perfect place" to unwind on your vacation with your family! Many of our regular guests bring their families back to our property year after year, and it's always a pleasure to see the kids growing up. One year we're handing out a bucket and shovel to play in the sand, then before we know it we're handing out boogie boards and describing the best spots to catch waves to the same child! Thank you for all the wonderful compliments - we can't wait to see you and the family again!

Reviewed 15 May 2012

My husband, son and I stayed here for three nights and really liked it. The room rate was reasonable and the location is fantastic. We were on the ground floor in a room that walked out to the pool and hot tub, which was perfect for us. The room is pretty standard - nothing terribly modern or special about the decor - but it was clean and had a refrigerator and microwave. The complimentary continental breakfast is nothing fancy, but the fresh waffles are a nice touch.

Besides being right on the beach, there is a Starbucks and Ralphs in walking distance and an underground parking garage where we kept our rental. We were there on a Sunday through Wednesday, so it was pretty quiet.

I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Mat R, Front Office Manager at Ocean Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

We're glad the whole family had an enjoyable stay with us! Those first floor rooms, with the large patios and easy access to the beach and pool, are great for families so we're happy to hear you were able to take advantage of the space. Make sure you're signed up for our newsletter to receive returning guest discounts for next time!