“Lovely view of pool and marina!”

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
Ranked #44 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Victoria, Canada
“Lovely view of pool and marina!”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Our waterfront room was on the 20th floor, a well appointed room with a fabulous view/balcony.Our original room was on the 6th floor with an enclosed balcony.
As view is extremely important to us, we immediately returned to the front desk.
We we're then looked after by "Hela" who was great.She immediately found our new room and blocked a room two doors down for the arrival of family the next day. My only room complaint is is no bath tub, shower only.
Had drinks and Mexican food by the pool, good food and excellent service. Location is fantastic, easy, lovely walks right out the door.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Laurie M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,379)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Detroit area
Reviewed 4 March 2012

This was my second time in San Diego, although my most recent stay was for a work conference. We had a marina side room and the view was spectacular. The room itself was nice with a comfortable bed. The details of the hotel is why I have given it 5 stars. The service was great from the second we walked in. There is fruit flavored water waiting as you check in (delicious). We tried only one of the restaurants, but all of them looked amazing. The pool is beautiful. There is an outdoor restaurant/bar that we loved. If you can grab a fire pit, it is an amazing place to have a couple of drinks. There is a Starbucks in the lobby if you choose not have the coffee in the room. Seaport village and downtown San Diego are just a short walk...everything is pretty much at your finger tips. I read many reviews about the loud train, but I only heard it once- was not a problem for us. Would definitely recommend this hotel and I would stay here again... maybe with a balcony this time :-)

Room Tip: Marina Side
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank DetroitareaKate
Palos Verdes Estates, California
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Every staff person we came into contact with made sure we felt welcomed. The hotel is located right on the bay and the area is very "walkable". We loved the ability to walk out of the hotel and walk in a nice, safe, beautiful area. I would stay here again. It is close to the airport and close to the Gas Lamp District, which is a fun place to visit. Our only negative (and it is a big one) is that at 4 am we were awakened by drilling, banging, nailing, sawing. We called to inquire, and apparently the construction crew was at work. They stopped after our complaint, but really, who was monitoring them? Should a hotel guest have to call in at 4 am after being awakened to inquire what was the cause of the noise? Anyway, the pool area is nice and the noise might have been a once in a year occasion. Soooo, I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cliffview12
Liverpool
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Our room had a really beautiful room... 19th floor... View right over the gorgeous marina. The quality of fitment and cleanliness were great... General ambiance also great. A real plus point is that the staff were all lovely!! Including bell boys and cleaners et al.

Comfy bed, all very plush.
Room decor style reasonable, but we felt the corridors and all a little bland...
I liked that there were no mirrors in e lifts... I always get a shock at how bad I look in those big elevator mirrors!

Internet $13 per day and a little flaky, but this is common in hotels.

Plumbing; I know there are hundreds of millions of Americans and the USA is the most powerful nation on earth... So I want to tread carefully here... But how come we need "toilet plungers"? Not only was a plunger provided... It was necessary :( We were on the 19th floor for goodness sake.. surely gravity should work?!!

Restaurants were a little lacking. Here's what we have...
LC's breakfast only, didn't go there.
Sarbuck's stall... Tended to be a bit busy. The OUTDOOR Tequila bar and grill. Shut when it rains, freezing when it is dry and it's February, even when it was open we didn't fancy that.
Roy's, look that up separately. Good but pricy and rather off campus.
Lounge bar.... For a lounge bar, really good..l but way too busy... Due to the lack of indoor alternatives, in the rain, or on chilly evenings, and just fancying something quick.. you are trapped with the bar as your only option.
Put in another indoor restaurant and earn another star!!!

• Stayed February 2012
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I stayed here for four nights for a conference in February 2012. Even though I did not pay personally for the stay, I did not think that their rates were out of line with other hotels in major cities. My room in the south tower was awesome, with a beautiful view of both the city and the bay. The sunrises were beautiful. The room itself was spacious, clean, and well-equipped. I had the best nights' sleep on this room's king-size bed that I have ever had in a hotel. (I personally did not even notice the trains in the night, although my room faced in that direction -- that's how well I slept.) The desk area had a panel that allows you to plug in up to four devices, plus it had input plugs for HDMI, laptop DVD's and other audio/video plugs. I assume that these would allow you to watch a movie or play a game that was your laptop, with the video showing on the widescreen plasma TV monitor. The bath was spacious with a walk-in shower with a rainforest shower head -- ah, bliss! No problem with water pressure or temperature. I agree with other writers that prices in the hotel shops were very high. While the floor vending machine had soda for $2.00, the price at the gift shop was $3.49. Hotel staff were uniformly pleasant and knowledgeable. My companions and I ventured out into the Gaslamp district for dinners, and found varying quality, mostly chain restaurants (Hard Rock Cafe) or what I would consider to be overpriced touristy restaurants ($10 for a side of broccoli with a steak!) sandwiched between bars of all types and touristy shops and boutiques. We also took the ferry to Coronado Island one evening and checked out the San Diego Zoo, both great experiences. All in all, a great place for a conference and a wonderful hotel for a home base.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business