“It's Grand in size with good service in good location!”

Ranked #26 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seoul, South Korea
“It's Grand in size with good service in good location!”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I had a chance to stay one night on business with a co worker before we moved on to Park Hyatt in Washington D.C. The main reason I chose to stay here was great pricing and good reviews I read in Tripadvisor. As we drove up to the hotel we were wowed by the size of the hotel and lobby was huge. Our check in was very smooth and we were upgraded to Premium View at no charge. Our room was decent size with very comfortable beds. I guess best part about staying at thie hotel was the view of San Diego harbor and our room had a view of aircraft carrier. Our internet was complimentary but we did not try any of the hotel establishment due to our busy schedule. Overall I can not say anything nice but this hotel and will most likely stay here again if I am ever in san Diego again. I loved the location and view of San Diego harbor.

Room Tip: Stay here if you get a great rate and ask for view of San Diego harbor.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
KHelms, E-Marketing Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear sleeplessinseoul,
Thank you for the nice review! We are very happy to hear you enjoyed our service, location and rooms during your stay. I'm also happy to hear you stayed with us based on our great reviews here on TripAdvisor. We pay very close attention to all reviews and incorporate feedback into how we operate our hotel, so we greatly appreciate the nice complements. We'll look forward to welcoming you back to sunny San Diego, hopefully sooner than later!

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,524)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 25 February 2012

A very elegant property with an amazing pool, spa and view of the harbor.

I stayed for a convention. Room rate was discounted, but still pricey.

Excellent business meeting support, but at a price.

Rooms were average. If you are light sleeper, be sure to request away from the rail line, and an upper floor.

Room Tip: Request away from the rail line
Sugar Land, Texas, United States
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Stayed in room 1703 from 02/20/12 - 02/24/12. There are stains on the carpet, florescent light in the bathroom buzzes, the water pressure is so high that the showerhead hurts and the toilet is very loud when it refills. The channel selection is very pour but the tv is a nice size and has a good picture on the few hd channels they have. The bed doesnt have a fitted sheet and continiously comes off. The room has not been updated since the 80's and it shows. During our confrence in their ballrooms they would put away the lunch and drinks 15-30 minutes early. If i had a choice i would stay at the sheraton marina. It cheaper, has a shuttle to the airport, the rooms are very modern and clean, they have balconies, and the staff is very nice.

• Stayed February 2012
Dear ReedVH,
I'm sorry to hear about your recent stay with us and appreciate the candid feedback. Please know that I have shared your comments with our Director of Housekeeping and Director of Engineering regarding the room issues you mentioned here. I'm extremely happy to report that all of our guestrooms will undergo a complete renovation beginning in May of this year. The new look and feel will incorporate classic lines and subtle nods to the maritime heritage and San Diego landmarks of this beautiful city. These upgrades will only add to the existing bay and city views from our floor to ceiling windows that open to allow in fresh bay breezes; currently available in each guest room. I hope you'll be back to experience these room upgrades firsthand. If I can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night while attending a conference at the Convention Center. The Hyatt is just a few minutes walk from the convention center and close to lots of bars and restaurants in the Gas Lamp area. I stayed here because I got an extremely good rate by naming my own price on Priceline.
Check-in was quick and easy. The room was nice. Had two queen size bed (would have preferred one king bed as a solo traveler, but it was fine), small sitting area, and a desk. The bathroom was clean and updated. There was an updated television and the beds were very comfortable. The view from my room was nice... overlooking the harbor.
The staff were very helpful with check-in, giving directions, and suggesting places to dine at. My only complaint was that at 7am I got a repeated knock on my door claiming to be a wake up call, which I had not requested. When I did not answer the door right away, the woman came into the room to wake me up. This seemed odd and was definitely not appreciated as I had not even requested a wake up call.
The other negative thing about the hotel was the cost of parking. I think it is probably comparative to parking in this area, but still seemed steep. It was $27.00/day.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again if I were attending a convention and could get a good rate on the rooms again. I would also stay here is I were vacationing in San Diego since it is close to many attractions and a trolley station.

Dear cdlhos,
We greatly appreciate your nice review and look forward to welcoming you back to sunny San Diego, for business or pleasure or perhaps a little bit of both!
You are correct, our parking prices are competitive with other parking garages in the downtown San Diego area but I did want to point out our Park and Surf package we offer that includes self-parking and high-speed Wi-Fi throughout the length of your stay. This package can be found under Special Offers on our website. If I can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. We look forward to your return.

Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt for one night when we couldn't get into the other hotel we'd been staying at as they were fully booked. Maybe it was just our great experience at the other hotel, but this place was very average.

We booked over the phone using Hyatt's own phone lines. My wife has a scottish accent, which to be honest is not that strong, and found it very hard to be understood by the booking agent. Despite being promised a confirmation e-mail, it never arrived so we popped in on the evening before just to confirm the booking on site and it's just as well we did as it had never come through to them. To her credit, the girl we dealt with at the front desk (Laura) was excellent and personally sorted it out and made sure we were booked in properly, along with an upgrade for the hassle - if it wasn't for her they'd have had a 2/5 rating.

It is the first hotel we've been to where when our taxi pulled up and we started to unload luggage, that the bus boys just stood and watched. We ended up having to wheel four cases and other bags in ourselves, which was terrible service. Maybe it was just the fact that we had shorts on rather than suits that they usually deal with, as we had the same issue when we left the next day. Either way, it's pretty poor standards from a supposedly four star hotel.

The room itself was comfortable if a little dated, and we had a good nights sleep. The shower and bathroom was big too.

The 'decadent' breakfast in the morning was anything but. Some warm bacon and sausages, pancakes that weren't great and a decent selection of fruit and cereals is not what I would call value for money at $26 a head. Especially with dirty cutlery! We did have a snack in Redfield's Bar the night before which was very good (the hot wings are H-O-T hot) with good service, so the food isn't all bad. Location is good, with Seaport Village right next door, trolley stops a few minutes walk away and the Gaslamp Quarter within a five/ten minute walk.

With it being next to the Conference Centre you do get the impression that's all the business they are interested in, and you do just feel like a commodity rather than a customer. A bit more focus on how they treat everyone wouldn't go amiss.

It's a hotel that ticks the 'average' and 'adequate' boxes rather than 'wow' or 'must stay'. In my opinion, there's far better out there, especially in terms of customer service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the bay
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Shugsterhibs
KHelms, E-Marketing Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Dear Shugsterhibs,
Thank you for your candid review here on TripAdvisor and I'm sorry to hear of your recent experience with us. Whether guests are staying with us for business or leisure it is our number one goal to provide authentic hospitality and first rate amenities to each and every traveler. We care tremendously about our guests’ experiences and it is for this reason that we pay such close attention to our online reviews, and use the information our guests provide to improve or adapt where need be. Please know I have shared your comments with our Rooms Director who will follow up internally with our bell staff and also our Executive Chef who will look into your comments regarding our breakfast buffet. We are happy to hear you appreciated our convenient location neighboring Seaport Village and the Gaslamp Quarter and also enjoyed your snacks and service at Redfield's Sports Bar. Again, we appreciate your feedback and hope we get the chance to host you again, should your travels lead you to the San Diego area again.