“Laid Back Area”

Bay Club Hotel & Marina
Ranked #49 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I just stayed 4 days at the Bay Club and I can't imagine a better place to stay in San Diego, if you are into a more laid back area like Shelter Island. The hotel was clean and the staff all friendly. My room in many ways felt brand new. The views of the Bay and the Marina are spectacular. Awesome breakfast buffet, and with half price starters for happy hour, one can eat for very little. I throughly enjoyed myself. Any trip to San Diego in the future, I will be staying at the Bay Club.

Room Tip: I would get the second floor, with a view of San Diego and the Bay.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Doug80904
thisavonladysadude, Front Office Manager at Bay Club Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2012

Thank you so much for your recent five-star review of our hotel. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found Shelter Island to be a "laid back area." We also appreciate your kind words regarding the cleanliness of the hotel and our friendly staff. It is also great to know that you found our complimentary breakfast buffet to be "awesome." We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to San Diego! Warmly, Aaron Willard

There are newer reviews for Bay Club Hotel & Marina

Reviewed 25 February 2012

This hotel is beautifully situated on Shelter Bay with a view across the water to San Diego on one side and a view of the Marina on the other. There is a bar terrace with a small outdoor swimming pool and hot tub. Check-in staff are friendly and efficient. The rooms are spacious, clean and well equipped. Most of the patrons are retirees and families so this is not the hotel to be in if you are after a wild time and the feeling of the hotel is conservative and old-fashioned, but that will be a plus for many.

The pricing is very reasonable and although I had to leave a day earlier than planned they did not charge me for the extra day. The free breakfast is varied and generous and the bar snacks and food of excellent quality for the price.

The only negative I found was the barman who was the rudest person I met in San Diego!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank DavidFinch9436
thisavonladysadude, Front Office Manager at Bay Club Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2012

We truly appreciate your taking time to leave a review of our hotel. Thank you for letting us know that our Front Desk staff was friendly and efficient and that you found the room to be clean, spacious and well-equipped. We apologize that you found the bartender to be unfriendly. Rest assured, your comment has been reviewed by our Director of Food & Beverage and he will take appropriate action. We truly hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to America's Finest City. Warmly, Aaron Willard

Reviewed 25 February 2012

I absolutely loved this hotel. The staff was amazing (many interacted with our 4 year old son which I loved). The location cannot be beat. When my son saw how close we were to the sand and water, he started jumping up and down. The complimentary breakfast was delicious. The rooms are very spacious and you cannot beat the views (we booked a Bay view room). My husband, son, and I enjoyed relaxing in the jacuzzi after a long day of sight seeing. The only problem I had was the first night I was awaken at 3am by the sounds of the seals barking (but the hotel has no control over that and honestly, we are in their territoty). I honestly do not think I could ever stay at another hotel in San Diego, none of them will even compare.

Room Tip: choose a bay view rom to have a wonderful view. There is nothing like seeing a huge Navy ship pass i...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Mary D

Thank you for taking time to leave a five-star review of our hotel! It is humbling indeed to hear that you loved our hotel, found our staff to be amazing and that it was your "best trip in a long time." Indeed, we strive for five-star service and are glad to hear that it showed. A great many of our guests find our location "unbeatable" being close enough to be within 10 to 15 minutes of almost all attractions without being in the middle of it all. How wonderful that your son was so excited to be near the sand and water! While the "mini beach" across the street from the hotel is not ideal for swimming or surfing, many children find it delightful. We also appreciate your kind words about the complimentary buffet breakfast and our spacious rooms. It is wonderful to hear that you will look no further than the Bay Club for your next visit to San DIego. It will be our pleasure to welcome you "home" on your return. Warmly, Aaron Willard

Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stayed at the Bay Club for a business conference in San Diego. The hotel where the conference was located had poor ratings on TripAdvisor, so I decided to stay at this higher rated hotel.

The rooms are spacious and clean. The bed was very comfortable. The staff was friendly and accomodating. The parking was plentiful and easy to access. The buffet breakfast was delicious, hot, and maintained...all things that make a hotel stay wonderful.

There were two issues, neither of which were under the control of the hotel, that had me wishing I had stayed elsewhere. The hotel is located on Shelter Island which is in the San Diego bay, directly across from North Island Naval Air Station. During my stay, there was a large amount of air traffic, mostly helicoptor traffic, that was extremely noisy. My balcony was open towards the source of the noise, thus funneling the noise into my room. Luckily, the majority of the noise was during daylight hours. Also in the noise category, this hotel's room layout is designed such that the TV set in one room is located along the same wall that the adjoining room's bed is located. Unfortunately, my neighbor was a late night television viewer with an obvious hearing problem...luckily by turning the wall mount AC unit on high, I was able to mask the majority of the TV noise.

The second issue is regarding the WiFi capabilities at this hotel. They offer free WiFi. Upon arrival, you are told that the free WiFi is limited in speed (I found it to be slower than an old dial-up modem). They offer WiFi with increased speed for a premium (actually provided by a third party provider known as sandiegowirelessservices.com). Because I do a lot of my business via a VPN hookup with my corporate LAN, a decent WiFi speed is a necessity. So, I paid for the increased speed. The result was a negligable speed increase (slightly above the speed of an old dial-up modem). I have contacted the third party provider to let them know...it could be a simple equipment probelm.

In summary, this is a wonderful hotel with great service. I just happened to be there during a very active Naval aviation period. It was fun to watch the air traffic and feel the noise, but it soon grew annoying (my opinion...obviously I'm getting old!!). Also, if you do business via the internet while travelling, this location may be a problem due to slow WiFi speeds.

Room Tip: I recommend getting a room that overlooks the Marina. This is on the opposite side from the Naval A...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank finewine57
thisavonladysadude, Front Office Manager at Bay Club Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We are certainly glad to hear that you enjoyed 1) your room being spacious and clean, 2) your comfortable bed, 3) our friendly and accomodating staff, 4) our plentiful and easy-to-access parking, and 5) our hot and delicious complimentary buffet breakfast. It is unfortunate, however, that you were disturbed by the occasional Navy jets and helicopters across the bay at North Island Naval Air Station on Coronado. As you mentioned, the frequency and amount of air traffic is out of our control; however many guests enjoy being able to experience Navy aircraft right from the comfort of their room or just outside the hotel. We do apologize that the noise from your neighbor's television caused you disturbance as well. We would have been more than happy, if made aware of these disturbances, to relocate you to a room on the opposite side of the hotel overlooking our tranquil marina. In any event, we sincerely hope the next time your travels bring you to America's Finest City, we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Bay Club. Warmly, Aaron Willard

Reviewed 20 February 2012

The staff at this hotel go out of their way to accommodate guests. They are polite, informative, courteous and extremely helpful. The service in the restaurant was awesome, with an excellent cuisine to choose from. Would highly recommend this hotel and it's facilities.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bienfait

Thank you so much for taking time to leave feedback about your recent stay at our hotel. We are so glad to hear that you found our hospitality to be "wonderful" and our staff to be polite, informative, courteous and helpful. We aim for five-star service and are glad to hear that it showed. Our Director of Food & Beverage will be delighted to hear that you found the menu to be excellent and service to be awesome. We sincerely hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back on your next trip to sunny San Diego! Warmly, Aaron Willard