“Best Shawarma”

Cuisines: Delicatessen, Lebanese
Detroit
“Best Shawarma”
Reviewed 26 November 2011

The beef shawarma is so freakin' good! I can mow it down either on the scented rice or in a beef shawarma wrap. I like to switch out the tahini for hummous. The arabic coffee will kick your butt. In the two drink fridges are a lot of unique and harder to find beverages. I really miss being able to walk here when I was too lazy/busy to make food.

• Visited October 2011

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Disapointing”
Reviewed 13 October 2010

I drove out of my way to try this place because of the reviews I read. I was disappointed. It's not a bakery that makes Lebanese sweets. And it's not a bakery that sells bags of Lebanese bread either. So the name is misleading. It's just a shack with a counter where you can order sandwiches. I ordered a shawarma sandwich. The bread was made fresh so that was a positive. However, I've had real shawarma and what this place calls shawarma has no connection to it other than the name. They don't have the rotating oven or anything. They just retrieve a baggie of meat from under the counter, pop it in the microwave for a few seconds, stuff it into the bread, add some lettuce and a couple other things, and call it a shawarma sandwich. I tried a couple of others things on the menu and they were equally disappointing.

The cash register was ringing non-stop so the place must be very popular. Just don't call it Lebanese food since it's not. Don't call it shawarma since it's not. And don't call it a bakery since it's not.

3 Thank Fromer
Delta, Canada
“Hearty & tasty”
Reviewed 7 February 2010

I stayed at the Sunburst Court Inn, which is on the same street, so it was very handy. I had a wrap that was just excellent - lots of veggies and nicely spiced. Next time that I'm in San Diego, I want to go back and try more of Mama's menu.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“You gotta try the manakeesh ultimate”
Reviewed 5 August 2008

You gotta try the manakeesh ultimate

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Great food at good prices. Love the beef kafta wrap.”
Reviewed 11 April 2008

Great food at good prices. Love the beef kafta wrap.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook