“30 yrs old and married”

Ranked #1 of 469 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Located in downtown San Diego, the USS Midway (Museum) was America’s longest-serving aircraft carrier of the 20th century. Today, the interactive museum is an unforgettable adventure for the entire family as guests walk in the footsteps of the 225,000 young men who served on Midway. Visitors explore a floating city at sea, the amazing flight deck and its 29 restored aircraft, flight simulators, and are inspired in the Battle of Midway Theater, included with admission. Admission also includes a self-guided audio tour narrated by Midway sailors in English, Mandarin, Spanish, Japanese, French and German. Visiting Midway is a once-in-a-lifetime experience in San Diego, known around the world as "Navy Town, USA."
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed the USS Midway but were a bit disappointed because of how psyched people seemed about it. Was told it was the #1 thing to do but at the end of the day it was touring an old ship. We did learn a lot!

1  Thank GoPlaces168085
Write a ReviewReviews (21,878)
All reviews
in 292 reviews
"men and women"
in 219 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We booked this as one of the activities on the Go City pass, and the savings were good. This museum is so full of sights and information. For those super interested, you could spend a full day there. We really enjoyed the audio tour. Very nice they have a kids version—great for kids and adults like me who like the simple version!

2  Thank CindyJV
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

My kids and I went through this behemoth on Spring Break and found it to be very interesting. The film is good, the exhibits informative and the crowds were well dispersed. I was glad we went. The bridge display closes an hour before the rest of the exhibits so go to the bridge right away if you arrive after 2:00 PM.

1  Thank Delta5076
Reviewed 5 April 2018

So it's really nice for Navy History buffs and everyone else for that matter to see a nice piece of our History on display. However, sometimes these Navy Ship museums turn into tourist traps and found this to be the case here. I did love my visit and the self guided tour took you around to many parts of the ship, which was nice. There were plenty of displays too. I really liked the tour of the superstructure and bridge. They only allow small groups to go up there, so you'll have to wait in line. I would recommend going early and heading to that part of the tour first to avoid a long wait. The flight deck had plenty of aircraft, but as a former Submarine Sailor, I don't care much for airplanes so I just bypassed that. The hanger was full of other activities (some with extra fees), food, and a gift shop. That's the tourist part I didn't really enjoy. The engine room part of the tour was a huge disappointment. All I really got to see was the main condenser. As an engineer, I wish I could have seen more. Overall, I'm glad I did it, but probably won't do it again. Budget about two hours or so for a visit unless you are really a hardcore history buff. Even then, you could probably see most everything in less than half a day and still walk away satisfied.