2,242 results
All reviewswine hourpetco parkgaslamp districtjsix restaurantwine receptionconvention centerpool areamini barfree happy hourfourth floorrooftop barthe gas lamp districtevery eveningrestaurants and barsovernight parkingvalet parkingper night
Reviewed 11 August 2018

From the moment you step out of your vehicle, you'll know this is one of the more upscale hotels around. The staff was very amicable and professional during the check-in process. The interiors were well-designed and exuded a sense of luxury. Arguably the most significant selling point of this hotel was its proximity to all the major tourist destinations in the Gaslamp District. It's only a short walk to Petco Park, The Convention Center, and a multitude of some of the best restaurants and bars that San Diego has to offer.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
GM_Solamar, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2018

I couldn't agree with you more, Alex Q, our location is prime! Glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope you come back soon. Justin-GM

Reviewed 11 August 2018

Just got back from my stay in San Diego. Overall, I liked this hotel. And I must say from the doormen, to the front desk staff, to room service, everyone here exhibited EXCELLENT service. Especially Max, who checked me in. Everyone was friendly, professional, and knowledgeable. They made everything very pleasant. If not for the below I would have given this place 5 stars.

I would say that I was not 100% satisfied with the cleanliness of the room. The decorative pillows had stains (old dried chocolate or blood?), and they did that thing hotels do now where they just wrap a comforter in sheets rather than using a duvet; the comforter underneath had a LOT of stains. Blood, dirt, what looked to be juice or food, etc. Other than that the room was very clean. But that was pretty off-putting and make me grossed out by the bed. Not the best for sleeping when you are disgusted...

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Ri818
GM_Solamar, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hello Ri818, Thanks for the review. Max is an all-star! I'm glad he took such great care of you. I'm disappointed to see the room wasn't in tiptop shape. I assure you that's not the norm as we have very high standards of cleanliness. We'll address your issues with our team. Thanks again and we hope you give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed 9 August 2018

This Kimpton is great. if you can follow directions and not get frustrated or turned-around by the one-way streets it's easy to get to. Clean, welcoming, and roomy - each of my multiple stays here have been quick but pleasant ones. They are very pet friendly too and have brought my dogs pet bed and 'pupcakes' which we felt was a nice touch. Our rooms were good-sized and clean, comfortable and quiet. The location is great and safe, but this area of downtown San Diego can get crowded if it is peak season of they have a big, city-wide event happening. It's close to many good eateries, and live music venues, tourist attractions, and the hotel staff is more than happy to help you find your way about town.
In summary, this is the better of the 2 Kimptons in San Diego! I've stayed at both, and prefer this one due to its location (and the other one's proximity to the jail).

Room Tip: If you want a quieter floor, you don't want to be close to the roof.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
3  Thank celestronica

Thanks for the review, celestronica. Glad we made you and your fur-babies feel right at home! We hope to see you all back again soon. Justin- GM

Reviewed 8 August 2018

This hotel is very old. The interior needs to be renovated. Carpet in hallway and room are very old and dirty. Room 909 is smelly. Sound proof is not good since you can hear noise from next door or across the hall way.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank diemhuong888

Hi diem,
We just renovated our hotel head-to-toe a little over two years ago. We definitely have an eclectic look about us but we're pretty up to date. I am sorry if there was anything on the carpet that wasn't taken care of prior to arrival. That's definitely not the norm. We hope that you consider us in the future. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me prior to your next trip to San Diego. I'd love to prove that we are better than this! Justin- GM

Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

in the middle of Gas Lamp quarter. very active in the weekend. pool is nice. older designs. we were able to switch to another room easily from a room with stuffy old smell. Happy hours include beer and wines, no snacks.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple