“Upscale Flavor”
Review of El Agave

El Agave
Reserve with OpenTable
El Agave is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #195 of 4,933 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: USD 20 - USD 50
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Cross street: Old Town Ave
Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

I ate lunch here today and it was incredible!! I ordered:

Exotica - Blend of sweet Hawaiian pineapple, fresh cilantro, el agave artesanal reposado, and mini basil herb crystals.

Tacos de Arrachera - carne asada with onions, cilantro and guacamole.

Alberto and Axel were the servers and they were very kind and helpful. They put up with my playful sass ;)

The food was amazing. Would definitely recommend the carne asada tacos. The Exotica drink was good, but I forgot I don't care for cilantro that much and the taste was obvious in the drink.

I forget the name of the dessert but it was tasty. It was like if angel food cake and bread pudding got married and had a baby - with strawberries.

If I'm ever in San Diego again, this place is on my list!

1  Thank jessicamariella

Reviewed 11 October 2017

We had an excellent meal at El Agave in Old Town SD. The decorations consist of over 2,000 tequila bottles lining all walls. it sounds a bit odd but is really cool looking. The mole's are what you need to get at this restaurant. We did the green and black ones over their pork. The pork melts in your mouth and the sauce is very complex. It's an easy walk to Old Town from the restaurant. It's a nice area of town and worth checking out.

1  Thank CEFJR
Reviewed 29 September 2017

Upscale restaurant serving authentic Mexican food. Had shrimp tacos and they were excellent!! Chips are served with a few different salsas. Largest selection of tequila I have ever seen. A little hard to find but it is definitely worth it!!

1  Thank Mnkansas
Reviewed 28 August 2017

We stopped in for a quick drink and appetizer. The largest selection of Tequila I have ever seen. Great selection of appetizers and excellent service. A little off the beaten path but well worth finding. A must add to your San Diego restaurant bucket list.

2  Thank Emory B
Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

We were in the mood for Mexican food and found El Agave in Open table. There were only about 4 tables full in a Sunday night. The best way I can describe the restaurant is rustic. They have decorated the restaurant with tequila bottles which were in desperate need of a good dusting. That being said, our waiter was great and recommended drinks and food choices. They brought chips and salsas to the table and my husband tried a tequila flight which was interesting. I ordered the Filete Chipotle which was one of the best steaks I have ever had and was cooked to perfection. If I was rating the food, I would give El Agave a solid 4. I'm giving it a 3 because I feel like it needs to be cleaned up a little bit.