Harvey Milk's American Diner
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Took my sister here for dinner a few months ago and it was more than I had expected. The service was great, the food was very good and the desserts were to die for. I would like to try and breakfast or dinner here and will probably do so the next time I am in San Diego for a visit. Fortunately, my sister lives close by in Mission Hills! I especially recommend the eclairs (take them home or back to your hotel because you will be too full to eat dessert right after dinner). Great value for the money.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We were in San Diego for a week to see Sheena Easton perform with the San DIego orchestra, and we were starving while we were driving to our hotel. We saw this diner, parked the car, and went in for a meal. Best decision we've made in a long time. We ate here 5 times during our stay. The meatloaf sandwich was the best I've ever had. The tater tots, french fries, and mashed potatoes are all fantastic. I also had one of the best burgers I've ever eaten. Pancakes were amazing, as were the biscuits and gravy...and the bacon? Shakespeare would have written sonnets about the bacon. Even the dinner salad I had was fresh, crisp, and delicious.. The service was great and fast, although not even a little bit rushed. The owners/managers were very sweet, stopping by our table each time to check on how our meal was. If you go to San DIego...go to Harvey Milk's American Diner.

1  Thank Steven B
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Like some others, we took on Harvey Milks because breakfast at some of the other trendy places which were recommended to us were an hour plus wait. HM wasn't busy though traffic picked up as we ate. Parking was adequate. We were so distracted by the fantastic looking dessert case that we didn't notice the rainbow flag; we just laughed at ourselves. The food was pretty good, nothing fabulous but it was breakfast. Service was great. Would go back. I agree with other reviewers that the place needs to move away from the diner feel.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I could not stand the restaurant that previously occupied this space.

Upon arrival in San Diego, we decided to give it a try just to see if it was an improvement over what preceded it. It was. I ordered a hamburger. My date ordered soup and salad. Both items were a quantum leap over the previous restaurant here. Ditto for the service. If I'm in the neighborhood next time I am in San Diego (a given) I would go back.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We had planned to eat at Snooze, but a one hour wait changed our mind. We needed something NOW so entered Harvey Milk's American Diner which had empty tables. Oh No, the clientele seemed to be all Gay. Oh well, we were hungry, all three generations of us. Besides, we're originally from the Bay Area so who gives a ___. We could not have been more warmly welcomed and treated. (Maybe people who face discrimination know how to treat other people.) I had the best latte I've ever had. It was smooth and creamy and just delicious! Since I'm not a real breakfast person, I ate what I eat at home…granola and Greek yogurt and fruit…except this was so much better than mine. My husband and grand-daughter split the chocolate chip pancakes…more than they could finish. My daughter tried the biscuits and gravy, delicious but way more than she could eat. My son-in-law finished off one of the egg dishes. We all loved our meals and bought a brownie to eat later which was rich, moist and chocolatey. We ate about 9 in the morning and didn't feel hungry until 3 in the afternoon…and that was after being busy sight-seeing all day. I'm not sure why there were any empty tables in this restaurant…it is outstanding and a great tribute to Harvey Milk.