“Good layout -- smoking-room stench ruined the stay”

Extended Stay America - San Diego - Mission Valley - Stadium
Ranked #216 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 10 May 2017

This was a last minute reservation for my husband, 1 year old and I when we were in town from a Thursday through a Tuesday. It was the "last room left" and my mom made the reservation. Traveling with a 1 year old meant I had certain needs of the room and this one did check all the boxes: bathtub for the baby, fridge for the milk, access to dishes and microwave to reheat baby's food. Kitchen and bathroom were clean. The bathtub was glazed so no one would slip. The closet was even wide enough for us to squeeze the pack n play in there so when we pulled the curtain closed it was a make shift room for the baby. I was thankful for the a.c. / heater to set the temp just where I wanted it.
The cons: The room was dirty and smelled like old cigarettes. My mom was not made aware that this was a smoking room. I have asthma and my husband was recovering from bronchitis. The stale cigarette smell was in our clothes the whole weekend and aggravated our conditions. The carpet was filthy. I was hesitant to let my baby crawl around and when I did her leggings were sticky and dirty from dragging along the carpet. Her toys fell under the bed and I discovered dust bunnies, spiders, cobwebs and trash under the bed. The corners and ceiling had cobwebs hanging around for what looked like months. The bed skirts and blankets were covered in dog hair and I found multiple long curly blond hairs on my pjs after I woke up in the morning.

I didn't get to speak to too many people during my stay but everyone except one front desk lady was very friendly. (I may have been a bit sensitive because it was first thing in the morning before coffee) There was free in room WiFi but it was slow. Ample convenient parking and I felt like my car and family were safe there.

Sigh. All in all, it served our needs nicely. But considering our little family only gets away 2 times per year and we spent our vacation time in such a dirty stinky room, I just feel icky about it. Staying here made me feel like I should apologize for wanting to be clean.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a non-smoking room or else you will get stuck in a smoking room.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank christinasantos
00esa, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Mission Valley - Stadium, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2017

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback. I apologize for the smell of smoke you experienced on your stay. We work hard to provide a clean and comfortable environment and I am sorry the smell compromised your experience. We will follow up on your concerns with our housekeeping team to ensure we keep our promise. We hope you will give us another opportunity to provide you with the stay you expected from us.

Reviewed 1 May 2017

I've been at this location 2x and the staff: from the ladies cleaning my room, all the way to the Manager (Gigi) are great. During Easter, there was even an egg hunt (found one). I had a corner room (hint: they are bigger) and have lived here 18 months the 1st time, and 2 days shy of 5 months this year. It is the better of the 2 Extended stays in San Diego: the other one (Hotel Circle) is too tourist-oriented. If there for work, this is the place.

Room Tip: Best rate: call the Extended Stay Plus Program if able to stay that long.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
00esa, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Mission Valley - Stadium, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2017

Ollie, we appreciate your repeat business and are so happy to know you had a great experience each time you stayed with us. We strive to provide our guests outstanding hospitality and your compliments serve as an encouragement to all of us. Thanks for the recommendation to future guests! We look forward to seeing you again at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Mission Valley – Stadium.

Reviewed 4 April 2017

Self service luggage trolleys are falling apart. Only one elevator for all three floors and service means you'll almost always have a wait. Lots of kids running in the halls. Rooms were reasonably quiet. When checking out the reception would not give me a receipt. Said I would have to contact Booking.com. However, as I tried to explain to her, we didn't pay Booking.com, we paid them. Still no luck. Most of the people working there seem to not know their jobs.

Room Tip: Rooms are bare-bones. Bring napkins, glasses, etc.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
00esa, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Mission Valley - Stadium, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2017

Thank you for reviewing your stay. We apologize for not meeting your expectations and for failing to maintain our high standards. We appreciate your feedback as it will help us to improve our future guest satisfaction. We regret any inconvenience you had, and please give us another opportunity to serve you with a much better experience.

Reviewed 4 April 2017

We have never stayed at an Extended Stay and we never will again. I expected a nicer place given the price but it’s very similar in feel to a Super 8 budget hotel. We found condoms in the kitchen cabinets. The glass microwave try was missing; they did replace it when we asked about it. I’m wondering how the cleaning people missed those items.

The worst problem was the noise. The building is very poorly insulated. We easily heard voices and the TV from next door but even more problematic was the stomping from the room above us. There were four construction workers in that room (apparently the hotel has a contract with them) and they went to bed late and arose early and stomped across the floors. We could not sleep even with the AC fan on high and 2 white noise machines.

You have to ask for any kitchen dishes because they store them to keep them clean which was okay. What was not okay is that you get absolutely no cooking utensils with your kitchen. You get 2 spoons, 2 forks, 2 butter knives and 2 steak knives. No wine glasses, wine opener, cooking cutlery, chopping knife, stirring spoons or measuring utensils. Have you ever tried to chop garlic and vegetables with a steak knife? The kitchens are not designed for cooking which makes no sense. Might as well just give you a microwave (with the glass spinning plate included please) and charge less. You also have to ask for a coffee maker and hair dryer. The hotel manager, Gigi, already had the dryer in the room at check in which was nice of her.

The beds were not comfortable. The pillows are very large and stiff, we couldn’t use them so we used our coats for pillows. There is only one thin comforter which was cold and no other pillows or blankets in the room. I was cold every night so had to turn the heat on. It was very hard to sleep with that and the noise.

Internet speed was horrible. You have to pay extra to get a normal internet speed. Even trying to load emails was painfully slow.

The location of the hotel is good, it’s pretty easy to get to everything and there is a grocery store nearby. The manager Gigi is wonderful. She was very kind and tried to help us but was limited in what she had to work with. There were no rooms she could move us to that would have been any better as there were construction workers in many rooms and part of the 3rd floor was smoking which is horrifying.

We asked Jeanette when we checked out if we could be credited back for part of our stay given the amount of problems we had. She was going to have someone get back to us. We still have heard nothing.

Our advice, pay more and go to a nicer place.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor is smoking so skip it unless you smoke. Everything else is very noisy so be prepared.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple

John, thank you for letting us know about your visit. We certainly apologize for the issues you encountered which led to a disappointing stay, as it is never our intention to lose focus on providing the hospitality you deserve. I will share your feedback with my team and will use it as a training tool to improve our performance. We truly regret the inconvenience you had, and please give us another opportunity to make it up to you on your next visit to our area.

Reviewed 5 January 2017 via mobile

My family and I usually stay at the Hilton when we travel so with that being said It was a Christmas night and the staff was very friendly and made us feel welcome. The room was okay, decor a little outdated and the beds just a little uncomfortable, there is a kitchen in your room but pots, pans, coffee maker etc.. you have to request it and go downstairs to pick it up. There is no room service offered unless you stay there longer then 1 week and you would get room service once a week if your stay is longer. If you need clean towels you take your old ones down stairs to the front desk the lady will count the towels you return and then replace them with the same number of dirty towels you have her. This is the first I've ever seeing there were plastic hangers in the closet I've never seeing that at any hotel before. Once again it's a great place if you don't plan on spending your entire day in the room. The staff is very very and welcoming.

Stayed: December 2016