“Comfortable and convenient”

Ranked #150 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Denver, Colorado
“Comfortable and convenient”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

The OB Hotel is not fancy, more of a motel, really, but it's comfortable, clean, inexpensive, friendly and located close to all of the main attractions in San Diego. It's older but lovingly mainained. There are tons of inexpensive places to eat within walking distance, spas, surf shops, bars, groceries and some nicer restaurants, too. You get the feeling of the surfer community, being across the street from a public beach. We watched the beach action all day long while sitting in the courtyard with the fountain gurgling. Seaworld is a few minutes' drive away. There are city buses going to from the hotel to almost anywhere you'd want to go. The staff is friendly and helpful. It got a bit noisy at night, since the walls are pretty thin, but I would definitely go back.
If you're in a taxi to and from the airport, specify Narragansett Avenue. It's the straightest route.

Room Tip: The cheaper rooms don't get the noise from the street outside.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Korean first
San d
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My boyfriend and I just moved to San Diego, Ocean Beach area from Santa Fe, New Mexico (though, we are originally from Seattle). We moved without a place to live in Ocean Beach, and did a quick search on the Garmin to find a hotel in Ocean Beach. The Ocean Beach Hotel popped up. We called and they mentioned the very reasonable prices. Once we got there, I noticed the hotel is literally across the street from the OB pier and ocean. Rooms are incredibly clean, cute, and makes you feel you are at home. Honestly, I did not want to leave! The service was outstanding, and we had no trouble staying a few nights, while we searched for an apartment. The parking lot is behind the hotel, but has video cameras, since we had packed our lives in the Subaru, we wanted to make sure it was secure. We never had any problems. There is a great Taco shop a few yards from the hotel, which is open late. A plethora of restaurants and bars are within walking distance. Everyone that worked at the hotel was very friendly and helpful, answering all our questions. We will definately be back, and I encourage you to try it! - Cassandra Conner

Room Tip: There are some great ocean view rooms!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Idyllwild, California
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Let's start with the positives: very pleasant office staff and a great location. Now for the big guns, the negatives: this hotel is located pretty much in the middle of a lot of bars/pubs/clubs, so you can imagine what happens late at night. I was waken more times than I can count (up to 3a.m.) by drunks attempting to climb the stairs to their rooms, continuing the party in the hotel's courtyard, and carrying on loud conversations just outside my door. Once the sun started to appear, the airliners began their flights right over the hotel. Yes, it is situated in a flight path! The VERY TINY bathroom had only one outlet, and it didn't work. The gal in the office gave me a power strip, which I plugged into the only other outlet in the room. I then attempted to stretch with my my blow dryer (there isn't one in the bathroom-glad I brought mine!) to the bathroom to dry my hair. I guess if you are one who just wants to party and crash on a bed, then this hotel will be fine for you.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank PCfan
Reviewed 4 March 2012

all the times that we vist san diego the best opcion to stay is the ob hotel, the staff is great , and im in love WITH THE HOTEL, THIS LAST VISIT WHE STAY AT THE SUITE OH MY GOD IT WAS GREAT to wake up and see the beach trough the window is magic, its and amaizing location and the place highly recommended i love it

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 March 2012

The location is great for several reasons. First, the courtyard is beautiful - you have a great view of the beach.When you venture outside of the hotel you have the beach across the street and all of the shops, bars and restaurants OB has to offer. The rooms are small but have everything you need (even a mini fridge and microwave). The room was clean but the bathroom was cramped and I felt I had to wear my flip flops in the shower. All that being said, I will be staying here again because of the location and great value for your money.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple