“Great quaint hotel in the middle of the Gaslamp Quarter” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #71 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles, California
“Great quaint hotel in the middle of the Gaslamp Quarter”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

This small Hilton can be mistaken for an apartment complex. We stayed there for one night and were very pleased with the room and the help that we received.

The rooms are larger than the ones at the Hyatt Grand Manchester, and the location cannot be beat!

The bellman even told me of a great place to park the car (parking structure next to the ballpark, in front of the omni), and its only two small blocks away. So the next time you are there forget the expensive valet parking, drop off your luggage with the bellman and run over to that parking structure.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Elmhurst, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Very nice room for a Hilton. We had great service the entire time. This hotel is within walking distance of most attractions in the Gaslamp District.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Tyler, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

Ok, so this is hard, as the location of this hotel is perfect for you if you want to go to a ball game or the Convention Center or like me, attend a charity event at a brewery just up the street. I was on business and came with a co-worker so we shared a room. We loved walking the marina and there were tons of great restaurants to enjoy. That's pretty much all the positive I have to say which isn't really about the hotel at all but the location. There are a lot of homeless camping out at night right outside the hotel. There was some San Diego police biking the area, so it was relatively safe, just didn't make for great ambiance.

For a Hilton, I expected better. The rooms were nice with exception to two things that became annoying. The lack of electrical outlets in convenient locations in the room (next to a bed for your phone charger, or next to a mirror for your hair appliances for instance). The full length mirror was on a wall next to the bed. So technically it was not full length at all and therefore useless. My co-worker and I laughed that there were two perfectly suited locations for the mirror but they chose the wall next to the bed.

To their credit, there is free cable internet in each room. But the cable is visibly strung in the hallways at the ceiling. It looks so haphazard and cheezy I forgot I was in a Hilton. It looks like some guy came in and drilled a hole in the hallway ceilings and ran cable, well, actually that's exactly what happened.

My scary moment came when I arrived at my room before my co-worker and got ready for bed. I was asleep for about an hour when she came in. I sat up to greet her, and to my horror there was a stranger standing in my room. Once I sat up and got a handle on the situation, I was shocked to learn that our room key was given out in error for a bachelorette party. I had the girl call the front desk immediately to stop any more keys being given out to our room and to get the right information for the party. An apology was made but the damage was already done with my mistrust of the front desk staff being able to manage important security details of guests. When my REAL roommate arrive we bolted the door.

Would I stay here again? NO. I'd rather have my old favorite Best Western around the bay with a spectacular view and take a cab downtown for an event than deal with too many "little" things out of place that add up in the end.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review of the hotel. We appreciate this feedback as it allows us to improve our services as we share all reviews with our staff. I hope that you will accept my sincere apologies for the issues that you outlined in your review. We are in the process of upgrading our wireless internet to the latest Hilton standard and temporarily have cable exposed on some guest floors. Crown molding is currently being installed as the project nears completion. I was very distressed to learn of the mistake made with your room. We have many safeguards in place to prevent this and will personally conduct a training review with our department heads and front desk staff. Thank you again for your feedback and we will be in touch with you to hopefully have an opportunity to win your confidence back.
Champaign, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

I don't understand this hotel's parking system. When I arrived at night, the valet guy said the only parking option is valet parking. When I woke up in the morning, I saw a sign for "Unloading zone for Self parking" and I could see a garage entrance from the K street. I ended up paying $40 per night as other reviewer said but I think I was fooled by the valet company.

When I arrived at the hotel, water did not drain from both sink and tub. Thus, the maintenance came and fixed them with plunger. Another frustrating part was the location of thermostat. Both my son and I could not locate it because it was completely hidden behind the shade of the desk lamp. I got the impression that the hotel doesn't want customers to touch it. I managed to find it after a maintenance guy came in and found the location for me.

They don't have in-room Wi-Fi but Wired Internet. Although the wired Internet service was free, my MacBook Air was quite useless since I did not bring a wired adapter.

The worst part of my hotel stay was noise and vibration at 2:00am. I thought there was an earthquake. Since it lasted about an hour, I suspect some washer/dryer machine was making a such noise.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank gyoju
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review of the hotel. We appreciate this feedback as it allows us to improve our services. Similar to other large downtown area's parking is very limited and the hotel provides valet service with unlimited in and out privileges. I apologize that you had some issues with your room as noted in the review. We are currently in the process of adding upgraded wireless internet to all areas of the hotel in addition to our in room wired service. Our dynamic location in the Gaslamp district is adjacent to local transportation hubs and I'm sorry the noise level kept you awake. We look forward to future opportunities to serve you to your complete satisfaction.
Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

We had a great experience at the Hilton. Check-in was easy and staff was very courteous and helpful. We did have a car and used the valet parking. It was $40 a night but this was not an issue with us. The valet staff were very helpful with directions and also recommendations for eating establishments downtown. We appreciated their help. The rooms were very clean. There were ear plugs there in case you needed them. We were not bothered by the train sounds. Beds were very comfortable. There was fresh lemonade and cucumber flavored ice water in the lobby. This was a nice gesture to travelers. All and all it was a great stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends