“Great Expectations But Great Disappointent”

Old Town Trolley Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
USD 41.95*
and up
Boston Shore Excursion: Boston Hop-On Hop-Off...
Ranked #50 of 153 Tours in Boston
More attraction details
Owner description: Old Town Trolley Tours of Boston shows you the best of Boston on their 100-minute, fully narrated tour. As the official tour of the Boston Red Sox, guests will enjoy 19 stops, including Fenway Park, where you may disembark for shopping, dining and attractions. Each ticket comes with free admission to a 45 minute cruise of Boston Harbor, the Old State House Museum and coupons worth over $50 in savings. Old Town Trolley Tours has a 100% money back guarantee.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 6 April 2018

On a very cold blustery day, I anticipated that the Old Town Trolley Tour that promised regular Trolleys every 15 minutes would allow me to see the city and learn from the commentary as promised in their booklet. The first warning sign was a "note" at the Old Town Trolley Tour agency office window that said "Back in 30 Minutes" but without a time when the 30 minutes began. After waiting 25 minutes, I left that booking office and was able to purchase a ticket through the hotel at which I was staying.

While there was a promise of a Trolley every 15 minutes on the brochure and at the designated stop, there was NOT a Trolley for 90 minutes. A group of more than a dozen folks which included small children, waited the 90 minutes in the cold and wind. As a group we tried to find ways to secure information about the lack of Trolleys but without success. We even sent folks back to the hotel to see if their staff could help solve the mystery.

There was no apology when the Trolley finally did appear. The Driver of this trolley was entertaining and had good antidotes about the city. And I must say the buses were quite comfortable.

I got off at the Boston Tea Party Ship, and while admission to the Boston Tea Party Ship was included with the price of the Old Town Trolley Tour ticket, the electronic ticket had to be reprocessed by the Boston Tea Party Ship operator and the wait for the reprocessing outside in the cold and wind again was another 20 minutes. Those who were on the back of the Trolley had to wait longer. It seemed to take about 5 minutes per ticket reprocessing. Very challenging process when it was so cold.

Upon re-boarding on the Trolley, the 2nd Driver was not a good communicator, difficult to understand and obviously did not enjoy his job. After two stops, the Driver announced that while mid day, he was taking the rest of the day off and all passengers would have to get off the Trolley and wait in the cold and wind at the depot and for another Driver and for an undetermined length of time. There was general unhappiness with this news as several of the group on the bus had been waiting together in the cold for 90 minutes earlier in the day. We had just visited the Boston Tea Party Museum and were generally in a "let us revolt" mood.

After some time, another Driver did arrive to continue the route. And this 3rd Driver offered good perspectives and commentary.

Overall, there was contradictory information about why there were ongoing service challenges during the day. It was a challenging morning and not a very enjoyable one. And with delays, afternoon by the time I got off near my hotel. I decided to share my disappointment with the Old Town Trolley Tour Office where I first tried to purchase the ticket. I shared the challenge of the unexplained wait and abandonment of the 2nd driver. While there was a 100% satisfaction guarantee offered in the brochure, I was told I could not get a refund from the office. No doubt I will not be recommending this tour option to others

1  Thank WendelinF
Jennifer G, Guest Relations Manager at Old Town Trolley Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Please accept my apologies for the experience you had with our tour. We take great pride in providing our guests with great customer service and clearly in your case we let you down and I am very sorry for that.

Refunds at the ground level are challenging, due to security issues. We are currently working on this issue and hope you will not let this one experience keep you from trying us again. We understand vacation time is precious and we are sorry we wasted some of yours.

We do have a 100% Satisfaction guarantee that I hope you will take advantage of by visiting the customer service page of our website.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,542)
All reviews
"boston bob"
in 45 reviews
"day pass"
in 150 reviews
"the boston tea party museum"
in 117 reviews
in 42 reviews
"quincy market"
in 38 reviews

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

We booked tickets online. They seemed to have quite many buses, so the waiting time wasn’t long. The windows were closed which was good since it was a windy day, but they were so dirty I couldn’t see outside or take any pictures!! After we moved to the first row and were able to look through the front window it was a lot better. The tour guides talked really fast, and as English is not my native language I could not keep up. The bus completely skipped the stop in Charlestown, the driver said he didn’t want to go there because of traffic. I think it was because it was already 5pm and that was the last round, but still, I am only able to go once and it would’ve been nice to see the full tour.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Took the trolley on a cold day in April. Tour guides were friendly but the speaker system/ acoustics were poor making it difficult to understand. New York was a name of our tour guide he was nice but monotone and hard to follow. We used same trolley line in St Augustine and loved it, but would not say the same here.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

There are a couple of tours online but this seemed to have the most trolley buses going around. Lots of stops. Our first guide was a bit lacking in information. just kept telling us what the prices of houses were going for. thanks for the history tour of real estate. luckily he got off and went for lunch. next guy was much better. worth the $40.