“Hotel 140 recent stay.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #50 of 82 Hotels in Boston
Trevett, ME
“Hotel 140 recent stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

A couple of days prior to arriving at Hotel 140, I posted a comment on the their Facebook page indicating we were really excited about staying at the hotel, seeing a Red Sox game that night and celebrate my husband's birthday. When we checked in and made our way to our room, we were filled with surprised when we opened the door to our room. There was a beautiful made table with linens and china. They left a birthday cake with balloons and a 140 baseball on each plate. They surely went the extra mile just from a comment I made on their FB page!!!

The room was beautiful, modern and very clean. The staff was wonderful! Very gracious. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is making their way to Boston. The Back Bay is beautiful and everything is pretty much within walking distance. The price was awesome as well!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Katherine R
, General Manager at Hotel 140, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Hello Katherine,

Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor about your visit! We are delighted you enjoyed the great location of Hotel 140 as well as the clean, contemporary, and comfortable guest rooms. It tickled our entire staff to be able to surprise you and your husband; we always appreciate extra information from our incoming guests. We certainly hope to welcome you back to Hotel 140 soon.

Emily A.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights in June 2012. We arrived in the evening to a warm and friendly welcome from the lady on reception, and advised that we had been upgraded from our superior double room to a King room on the 8th floor - great! The room itself was spacious in the walkway from the door to the bed, but there was little room to move around the bed and no storage space for clothes apart from an open wardrobe, which was a bit of an irritation as a 4 night stay is quite long, however we made do as we could lie our suitcases down and keep them open in the corridor from our bedroom door to the bed without them getting in the way too much. The room was kept nice and clean by our maid every day, and bed linen/towels changed on a daily basis too. Our room had two big windows overlooking the street, which made the room airy and light. There was also air conditioning in the room which may have been too noisy to sleep with it on so we kept the windows open overnight - thankfully the weather wasn't overly warm anyway so we didn't have much need for A/C. I was however disappointed that there wasn't a safe in the room, even if you had the option to pay. When you are travelling with cash and passports, you want to be able to lock your valuables away. We had to get by with locking our passports and money in our suitcase every day, a hassle which you don't really want and not exactly secure.

The hotel itself is in a fantastic location, very close to Back Bay station and within walking distance of other major attractions and some restaurants, Copley Square etc. Boston as a whole is very pedestrian friendly, you could pretty much walk anywhere if you have plenty of time and some comfortable shoes. Overall, its a great place to stay for the budget-conscious traveller. The hotel itself was in a quiet, safe location, the staff very friendly and helpful (the lady on reception helped us with ordering some pizza for delivery once we had returned from seeing a show in the evening) and the room clean. Very good value for money overall, and would definitely stay here again if returning to Boston.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights in June 2012 and it was a great experience. The hotel staff was extremely friendly, the lobby was clean and comfortable, and even though the room was on the smaller side, we had a king bed and great street views. The hotel is walking distance to some awesome restaurants, many historical sites, and a $7 cab ride to kenmore square / fenway. The front desk offered us great restaurant / night life suggestions and helped us in planning our sight-seeing. Compared to some other hotels in the back bay area, the price was just right. All-in-all, I give this hotel 4.5 out of 5!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Jmhouseman
, General Manager at Hotel 140, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Dear JMHouseman,

Thank you for your great comments. We look forward to your next visit with us!

East Greenwich, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

Was traveling to conference and the city was sold out so I tried a non-chain property. I usually stay at Westin and was a little hesitant to try a small hotel, but it was my only choice. I found the lobby staff to be warm and helpful. Multiple manager greeted me in the lobby and on elevators. I was able to prepare for the conference using the free wireless internet in the room and I found the decorations to be comfortable. I felt right at home. It would have been nice to have a restaurant in the lobby, but the room service offered from post 329 next door was high quality. Bed was not "heavenly" but was very comfortable, flat screen TV, stand up shower (which I like better as it feels cleaner) crisp linens and nice individual feeling touches. The next time I am in Boston with my wife, this is where I am staying.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank John K
, General Manager at Hotel 140, responded to this review, 24 June 2012
Dear John K,

Thank you for your review of Hotel 140. I am thrilled you appreciated the "individual touches" in the decor of your room as well as the comfort of the bed. And Post 390 is indeed a marvelous restaurant; we are honored to be able to offer their cuisine in our guest rooms. We look forward to your next visit in Boston and welcoming back you and your wife.

New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

Tthe staff at Hotel 140 was most attentive. Location ideal. And for the budget minded traveler, well priced. Also discounted parking available - a plus in this neighborhood.
Decor of rooms - simple and comfortable.The convenience of a small refrigerator a plus. No closets, open clothes storage. Like I said: simple. But attractive.
My complaints. The key operated elevator, while a great idea, in practice, didn't function well. I always managed to get to my floor, but it was iffy. Others on the elevator were also having problems, so I know it wasn't just me being technologically challenged.
There were one or two small stains on the bed linens. Not fresh, so I know the linens had been washed. But it was distasteful. I launder out the stains on my sheets at home; don't expect to find them in hotels where I stay. The housekeeping staff has got to keep an eye on this. I mentioned this to management, hope no one else will have this issue.

Room Tip: Mine was very quiet; not on street. Talk to reservation clerk about getting a quiet room.