“Great selection and value!”
Review of Modern Pastry Shop

Modern Pastry Shop
Ranked #4 of 102 Dessert in Boston
Price range: USD 1 - USD 20
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Takeout
Neighbourhood: North End
Reviewed 31 December 2017

Stopped in while in Boston this week and was pleased with the selection. I brought some things home or family and they haven't eaten them yet, so no verdict there. I will say that the woman who helped my friend was pretty rude, but the one who helped me was fine. Very reasonable pricing though - was pleasantly surprised at that. My friend did wish she had gotten more of the ricotta pie - she said it was better than Mike's or Maria's, but I can't attest to that since I didn't try it.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,800)

Reviewed 29 December 2017

Plan a visit to Modern Pastry in the North End! The products are delicious (especially the rum cake:) and the customer service is professional and pleasant....thank you to Lea for all her help. It's a no wonder this pastry shop has been in business for so many years and continues to hold a gold star!

Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

We came here after dinner (having also been to Mike’s in the past, to compare the two). We loved Modern. All the classic Italian desserts, cannolis, tarts, cupcakes, and cookies. There’s also an area to sit down and its not total insanity in there like MIke’s (though its cash-only, btw).
My favorites were the peanut butter brownie and the “Hostess” style cupcake. Both were insanely good. Service is fast, portions are good, and prices are fair, even if it can be a tourist trap. Love it and will definitely go back. Much prefer this to Mike’s.

Reviewed 26 December 2017

Modern has a great lineup of pastries including most of your favourite Italian fare and it's all really really good stuff. I had cannoli, whoopie pies, and peanut butter cups.

On the Saturday afternoon when we visited, there wasn't much of a lineup and the line moved very quickly.

There is also a nice bar! When you enter modern, walk toward the counter and move toward the right by the stack of pastry boxes. There is an entryway that leads downstairs to a bar! Well-stocked and very cozy and nice.

Check out the partitioned wall at the left as you descend the stairs; it used to be a tunnel that led to the shore so stuff could be smuggled in. Unfortunately, the tunnel has been filled in.

We had the thin-crust mergerita pizza and it was cheezy goodness!

Reviewed 25 December 2017 via mobile

We have been here several times and always go back for the pistachio cookies. The strawberry shortcake is a family favorite as well. We love the lobster tail too! My daughter loves the peanut butter chocolate cupcake. Everything we have tried has been delicious. This is a favorite stop for our family.

Been to Modern Pastry Shop? Share your experiences!