See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 April 2017

I travelled to Boston with my mum in August 2012 and I'm so sorry it took me so many years to write a review about this place but late is better than never I guess. The bnb came to my mind the other day and looked it up on the internet, thinking I wouldn't find it online (we booked through airbnb/roomorama and it's been like five years) but I did and I don't think it deserves all these bad reviews I read. It is true though that if a standard, normal hotel is what you're looking for this is not the right place for you.
But if instead you're a type who can adapt and who doesn't mind some "heartfelt mess" Christiane's house sure has something to say.
Christiane was really nice to us, very talkative but she knows a whole lot about Boston and the surrounding areas. In general I thought her stories were quite interesting.
The house was clean and yes as many say cluttered with stuff. But I didn't think that was bad at all. It gave the place a certain antique charme and character. The nearest metro station was about 10 minutes walking. I enjoyed my stay in Charlestown and I have pretty good memories about this place and about Christiane, who was helpful and kind. So I would recommend this place to those travellers who enjoy unconventional (yet comfortable and convenient) places and who are willing to forget about standards in exchange for a good story.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 November 2016

When we arrived, she immediately greeted us at the door and we thought everything was fine. Her house was very cluttered to say the least, but otherwise it was a very nice home. She was quite a talker, but my partner and I weren't really bothered by it. She had us pay the whole thing upfront in cash, and did not give us a receipt.

This is where the horror story starts. It started when we finally got her to stop talking and escaped to our room. We locked the door because we didn't want her bothering us. She kept trying to open the door without knocking, even though we clearly locked it. To say the least my partner and I found this extremely strange and rude. Finally, when we thought she had finally left us alone, just when we were getting intimate, she opened our locked door with a key and walked right in on us.

After she left we locked the door and then locked it with a padlock. We were scared and made arrangements to stay at another hotel for the next night. In the morning, with the locked door, she tried to get in again! In the exact same style! But thank god we had a padlock. This woman didn't even knock. Honestly that whole experience was a nightmare, I would rather sleep in the street than stay with that crazy woman again.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank taslami576
Reviewed 8 November 2016

Ah, where do I begin. As an extensive user of TripAdvisor, you would think that I looked up the place before making reservations, but I didn't.

Subsequently, I did look at the reviews, but since I spoke to the proprietor, I discounted the negative reviews. In addition, I figured that since a lot of the negative reviews were written by people who didn't have much review history, the reviewers might have gone overboard.

Let me tell you, they sure did not. I waited a long time, and debated whether to even post this. I don't like to be negative. I understand that Boston is an expensive place to live. As a small business owner, I can also have some sympathy for trying to compete against the big boys.

But if you choose to be in business, there's a modicum of level of service that you have to offer, and it simply wasn't up to par.

Is it too much to expect to sleep on pillow sheets that don't have scratches and holes? I think not.

Is it too much to expect a receipt for the upfront cash that she required, instead of waiting until the next morning? I think not.

I didn't get the more expensive, Waterfall room that I reserved, for which she blamed Airbnb. This was not arranged through Airbnb. In the Nautical Room room, not a single drawer is free, there's no closet, only a tiny 3-foot wide armoire with NO ROOM for me to hang even one single item. It has a basket on the bottom, a pillow and a comforter; and things already hanging in there. Trip hazards everywhere.

I pride myself on being able to pack for 5 days in a single carry on, but to not have any room for my stuff was ridiculous.

I thought the negative reviews were overstated, but they didn't even cover all the stuff that's wrong here. Only good thing I can say is up to par is the bathroom.

Bedsheets are freaking cold, despite her claim of a down comforter. She has some microfiber throw, which I put under me so I could be warm. Then I waited for the top sheet and comforter to warm up. I was supposed to be in the warmest room, and I brought light sleepwear, not my winter sleepwear. At least I had socks.

I tried to suck it up and deal. I've been in B&Bs before. I know what to expect. I set my expectations even lower here and I still wanted out.

There too many little rugs everywhere, and I tripped several times. She keeps the house dark, turning lights on and off as she goes in and out.

The saving grace for my clothes is that I packed dressy-looking knitwear and other materials that keep well inside a carry on. I'd be worried if I brought regular suits. A fly was buzzing around my room when I arrived.

Unfortunately, she requires upfront cash payment - my bad for accepting those terms, but I had to travel on short notice, and didn't have a lot of time to research the nice parts of Boston. I took the first thing that appeared ok. No refunds for the remaining 2 nights here, but I didn't care. She's overbearing, and not in a charming way. I bought some apple juice and water bottles, which I left in the breakfast area, because she doesn't allow food in the rooms (which is fine by me).

When I said I bought bottled water, she says "oh you didn't have to do that. I have bottled water, but you have to drink it outside the house. I'm big on the environment, and I don't let people drink bottled water in the house. Boston is known for its great water."

But guess what: since her kitchen is off-limits (insurance reasons, she says) I'd have to drink the tap water from the bathroom? Uh, no thanks.

So yeah, I wanted out. But first, I decided to pen a letter to her, to ensure that my issues would be addressed, once the room she promised me was no longer occupied.

She called to apologize that things weren't up to my standards. So I thought the room I was promised was going to be ok. Sadly no. Instead, the upstairs room turned out to be worse. I felt so defeated, I just left without bothering to reach out to her again. I simply sent her an email that I left the keys by the front table, and left it at that.

Stayed: October 2016
5  Thank Rina R
Reviewed 2 August 2016

We paid for two nights, endured the first night, and then left first thing the next morning, happily forfeiting the cost of the second night.
Many rules, very adamantly communicated and defended. We stayed in July; when I asked if our room could be cooler, the hostess said no, she preferred it warmer, and we would "freeze her out" if she turned the air down any lower. She suggested leaving our room door open to get cool air from the hall or bathroom. The kitchen was definitely "off-limits" so if we wanted water we were told to get it from the bathroom tap. There would be no ice, and the bottled water was absolutely only ever for when we went out, no exceptions! We were warned many times that there could be no food in the room; the hostess saw a paper bag with our things and asked accusingly if there was food in it.
The room was cluttered: I counted three throw rugs stacked on top of each other in places. Creepy dark-feathered wreaths in each window, like some kind of haunted Victorian house of ill-repute.
The hostess was relentlessly talkative. In order to get her to stop giving us sightseeing tips and rehashing rules at 10:00 at night, I had to tell her "we are going to sleep now" to get her to go away.
She had an appointment in the morning so we were told there would be no breakfast, but the hostess said we would find power bars in the dining room. We left the power bars, and let her keep the $20. "key return" fee as well as the cost of the second night.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FreeRangeDrew
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I just spent a week at Christiane's place and I had a wonderful time. I loved her house and Christiane made me feel welcome. She is caring and warm and I will definitely be returning to the Bunker Hill B&B! After a busy day of touring this is an excellent place to rest your head.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo