“Clean place, fresh ingredients”
Review of El Pelon Taqueria

El Pelon Taqueria
Ranked #431 of 3,337 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: USD 5 - USD 10
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Delivery, Outdoor Seating
Description: We offer authentic Mexican food prepared in our kitchen daily using only the freshest ingredients, the same way we've been doing for over 12 yrs. Our taqueria offers more than just the ordinary tacos & burritos. Make sure not to miss the ever-popular "El Guapo" burrito made with grilled steak, rice, black beans, fried plantains, jack cheese and our in house made fire roasted salsa.
Reviewed 23 June 2016

There are not many notable authentic Mexican restaurants in Boston. With that said, El Pelon might be more like a 3 star review if it were in any urban area with greater competition. The food is good, the place is clean. We ordered from the Tacos De La Casa part of the menu. I had fish, my husband had steak tacos. I have had better fish tacos, but the asada was very tender with a tasty sauce.

If I see tamales on a menu, I have to try one. It is very telling of the skills possessed by the cook. Unfortunately, this tamale should really be considered a Mexican matza ball. There was no masa surrounding a filling of some sort. It was just a lump of masa with poblano peppers speckled through the mix and some corn. It was sizable, but how hard is it to lump masa in a corn husk? I make tamales. Yes, they are labor intensive. But it's a side dish that balances out a menu because there are other dishes with quick prep.

The only other thing that put me off was that I asked for cilantro on the side. Cilantro is a polarizing herb. People love it or hate it. I love it and most dishes don't have enough of it for me. So I ask for (and am willing to pay for it) extra cilantro when I order Mexican food. The woman said they did not have any left after the morning prep. My tacos had no cilantro, but the guacamole on my husband's taco did. So that would have been nice.

I will go back to try a burrito. Many patrons ordered that. But I would not order again what I ordered today.

Unfortunately, for Boston, this is as good as it gets for a taco stand. But it is clean and they rock the carne asada. Oh, and if you dine in, you will see the three headless mariachi figurines on the wall that cracked me up. I really hope they don't get rid of them. It's part of the scenery and I got a giggle out of it.

Reviewed 22 June 2016

all our food was great, and not expensive. Ingredients were fresh, and portions large. Everything you would want from a Taqueria.

Reviewed 1 June 2016

Had a burrtio from el pelon when I first moved to Boston in March and it was superb. I did not mind paying the slightly above average price for this one but since then the quality has gone significantly downhill. Maybe it's the fact that BC students have moved away and they were the main demograph but I have got cold and soggy burritos here in the last few weeks and would be slow to go back

Andrew V, Manager at El Pelon Taqueria, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2016

Thanks for writing, and we can assure you, that we strive to give you the same amazing burrito every single time you visit. We missed the mark on more than one occasion and we are very sorry. Please email us at info@elpelon.com and give us a chance to make up for it. If it's not up to your standards, let us know. Include the date, time, and location so we can ensure it doesn't happen again

Reviewed 2 April 2016

My two teenage daughters and I were looking for a quick lunch before a BC college visit. We found El Pelon and were not disappointed. I had chicken tacos and my younger daughter had steak tacos. Each dish was $4 and it was fresh and delicious. My older daughter had a chicken burrito that was delicious. She loved it. I loved the portion, the pickled cucumbers and the tenderness of the chicken. The tortillas were excellent (although they fell apart), too. The price was great and service was quick.

Reviewed 16 March 2016 via mobile

I was told to visit El Pelon by my roommate and man was she right! I recommend getting the Carne Asada Burrito with their hot sauce!

Their chips and guacamole are also amazing and you know it is fresh since you see the cooks at the grill making it for you.

If you are ever in the area, or take the Green Line to Boston College, stop at El Pelon!