“Still an excellent North End staple”

Trattoria Di Monica
Reserve with OpenTable
Trattoria Di Monica is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #140 of 3,429 Restaurants in Boston
Neighbourhood: North End
Cross street: Salem
Transit: Haymarket North Station
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I was slightly apprehensive after seeing that Trattoria di Monica had been expanded - it has lots some of its intimate North End charm in the process. Where's that old closet of a bathroom?? Jokes aside, the remodel looks great, though the restaurant is slightly louder now as a result.

I am happy to say that the quality is still consistently delicious and just as good as it has always been. I have gone here numerous times and will continue to bring visitors to Boston here! Vegetarians will be delighted to know that there are plenty of great options - I'd highly recommend the mushroom ravioli.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

After years of trying to get a table, I finally landed a reservation!. Great menu and staff. The space is small which impacts the ambiance. I will definitely go back when near the north end.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

My wife and I were hopeful when going to the re-opened Trattoria di Monica. We loved the food and recommended it to many people, including those visiting Boston. While we loved the place, it was small and had a problem seating us anywhere near our reservation time (we waited as long as an hour after our reservation and were never seated on time in all of our many visits there).

We got to the restaurant at 7 PM, our reservation time and once again waited. But now the restaurant has a bar, which makes it easier to wait, which was only 20 minutes, just about the shortest ever. But they shortened the beer list, with Peroni the best option. I know it is an Italian place, but couldn’t you have kept Sam Adams lager?

The new space is nice and a lot more energetic than that previous space, about half of the current set up. The new configuration also included some significant price bumps.. We sat down, with one couple to our left and an empty table to the right. We placed an order for a salad to share and started to wait. The table to our left got bread and two appetizers. Nothing. A couple sat to our right and immediately got bread. None for us. After 50 minutes our salad showed up. The waitress offered us a complimentary drink, which my wife accepted. Then we waited for our entree. And waited. And waited.

When it arrived my gnocchi was as good as I remembered it. But my wife’s pasta dish was not up to their original standards.

Bottom line is we like the new space but they seem to have big problems with their second seating. It used to just be getting in on time. Now it extends to serving all of the people in a timely fashion.

We won’t be going back.

1  Thank SMPrezbo
Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

Monicas was fantastic . I’m not going to tell you each dish we ate because they were all very tasty . Monicas menu is very diverse . You can go from a good old chicken parm to something more creative such as zucchini flowers fried with goat cheese . Can’t go wrong no matter what your taste is . All pastas are homemade not your pound of barilla dry pasta that most north end restaurants use and the uneducated consumer will say wow what a big portion. If it’s crap and you give me a lot of it it’s still crap. Monicas is my kind of place . Monicas show cases some culinary talent not your typical olive garden type menus that many north end restaurants have . A must try .

Reviewed 12 March 2018

Always loved Monica's, missed it while it was closed. But, now it's back and better than ever. Definitely one of the top Italian restaurants in Boston, still a somewhat "hidden" gem, great menu, service, wine list. They've made it larger now, with a bar. Make reservations but be aware they usually don't seat on time - it doesn't matter, it's dinner, it's the North End, there is a bar and a great salumeria right in front. The food is fantastic, the appetizers, the main course, just delicious.