“Cancellation” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Atlanta, GA
“Cancellation”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Their cancellation policy is not practial for the business traveler. If you do not cancel by noon the day before your arrival, they will charge the full amount for your room. Due to business deadlines and meeting cancellations, plans can change abruptly. I have stayed there many times but may need to change to a hotel with the usual cancellation policy of before 6pm the day of arrival.

Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank bktl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,005)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Great location for seeing all that Boston has to offer. Despite its being close to everything and on busy Commonwealth Ave., our room was very quiet. The room was large and comfortable. Two overstuffed chairs and a large desk, bright and sunny. We will definitely use this as our 'home'-base when we return to Boston.

Room Tip: The hotel overlooks Fenway Park for baseball fans. We were in a corner room facing Commonwealth whi...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

The Commonwealth Hotel was lovely. Comfortable and charming. ALL the staff were wonderful. I realise that is because they would like a good tip but sometimes people can still be over-the-top, but they weren't. Always happy to help and give recommendations that were great. The restaurants in the hotel were fantastic. Overall we had a great weekend.

Room Tip: We booked the Kenmore room but were offered an upgrade for $20/night so not sure what we received. I...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

If you see the room and bathroom, you will see why I was so glad!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jongseok l
Hicksville, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

I’ve been in a very high-stress customer service career for over forty years, and I know how important it is to make each and every customer feel that they are the most important person in your life; some hotels get it, many don’t . However, The Hotel Commonwealth takes this to another level. The moment my husband pulled up to the curb we were greeted by the doorman who welcomed us the way an Italian mother (ie: “me”) welcomes her children back home. “What a nice guy!” I said to myself. The valet took our keys with a smile and wished us a pleasant stay as he drove away. Our bellman swiftly put our bags on the cart and told us he would meet us in our room shortly. Another doorman escorted us into the building and we found ourselves looking up the stairs at a most elegant entry. We arrived at the front desk and were welcomed by staff members who let us know that if there were “anything at all” that could help make our stay more pleasant to just let them (or any staff member) know. It wasn’t just idle chatter…

The room was extraordinary; a “Junior Suite” that gave us enough room to spread out and not feel claustrophobic bumping into each other as we dressed in the morning. There was a tray with a split of wine, two wine glasses and a small box of truffles waiting on the ottoman in front of two plush club chairs in the living room area. Two flat screen televisions allowed my husband and I to avoid a “compromise” with regards to what either of us wanted to watch (the hotel has a collection of DVDs, and a phone call to the front desk will send your selection up to your room in a matter of minutes!) I usually don’t sleep that “hard” at a hotel, but this was undoubtedly the most comfortable mattress (and sheets!) I’ve had outside of my own home! And to ensure a pleasant “rise and shine” we had our own personal Keurig coffee brewer with an assortment of coffee and tea.

We left on Saturday to do the “tourist thing” (forget the historical places, the food at Quincy Market is to die for; I’m already planning my next trip there!!) Our concierge gave us tips on where to go (and more importantly, where to park!)

We took a short walk outside the hotel (although we could have gone through the hotel) to have some yummy frozen yogurt at “Zinga’s!” As we were leaving, we engaged in conversation with the bellman who (because it was drizzling) offered us an umbrella for our walk!

Sunday brunch at the hotel restaurant “Eastern Standard” was delicious, and my husband and I couldn’t stop talking about the incredibly different taste the pancakes had; I happened to mention this to the clerk at the hotel’s front desk. He smiled, told me to “wait a moment”, went to the back office and came out with a pancake recipe! “I’m not positive this is the one they used for today’s pancakes, but it did come from the restaurant’s chef.” “Can you believe this kind of service?!?!” I wondered aloud.

Thanks to the management for imparting such warmth, caring, and attention to detail to your entire staff. Thank you, Hotel Commonwealth, for an extraordinary stay; you are our “home in Boston” from this point forward.

-Diana DePalma-Henne