“Simple, Authentic (mostly), and Vibrant!”

El Centro Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #511 of 3,263 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Mexican
Neighbourhood: South End
Neighbourhood: South End
Reviewed 28 June 2016

The vibe is funky South End, the food is solid (more authentic interior Mexican than not), the margaritas are delicious, and it's a great scene. One of the best skirt steaks I've had, in fact! The Chile Relleno is really tasty, and the Chimichanga is not the typical deep fried, crispy burrito... this one is pan fried and completely delicious! Also of note are the bacon-wrapped shrimp and the queso fundido. Try it all!

There are newer reviews for El Centro Mexican Restaurant

Reviewed 21 June 2016 via mobile

El Centro is a small, local Mexican restaurant in South End. We were visiting Boston and fancied some Mexican food. This place has exceeded our expectations. Great food, fantastic atmosphere and massive margaritas! One cannot ask for more!

Reviewed 13 May 2016

Looking for something near our hotel and found a listing for this place within a half mile. It is an interesting walk there past row homes that sell for $800,000 and up, but also lots of street people, many of whom appeared lost in drug use. Anyway, we didn't bother them and they didn't bother us. It was a pleasant night, so we sat outside and sipped on margaritas while pondering what to order. I ended up getting the Camarones Al Chipotle, while my guy got Chile Relleno De Queso. My shrimp dish was amazing-tons of shrimp with roasted corn and tender bites of asparagus, and a chipotle sauce flavorable and just spicy enough. My guy was similarly impresses with the Chile Relleno, though he didn't say much, just finished it quickly and started working on the shrimp I couldn't finish. The staff was efficient and friendly and went out of their was to engage us in conversation. I love authentic Mexican food and was delighted to find this place

Reviewed 24 April 2016

I'm prettty picky about Mexican food, and El Centro has a nice selection of "the real thing". I appreciated the homemade hot sauces and pickled jalapeños. I was undecided about what to order and the staff kindly let me try a few things first. Small space with poor acoustics, so gets loud when it's full - but worth the trip. Get there by 7 pm if you want to grab a table!

Reviewed 22 April 2016

Food was typically Mexican but nothing special, lacked a little something. Service was no better than average and drinks expensive, certainly better places to eat in this location. We asked about a few dishes and staff barely engaged - not very impressed to be honest.