“A great authentic restauranr”

El Centro Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #512 of 3,263 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Mexican
Neighbourhood: South End
Neighbourhood: South End
Reviewed 13 May 2016

Looking for something near our hotel and found a listing for this place within a half mile. It is an interesting walk there past row homes that sell for $800,000 and up, but also lots of street people, many of whom appeared lost in drug use. Anyway, we didn't bother them and they didn't bother us. It was a pleasant night, so we sat outside and sipped on margaritas while pondering what to order. I ended up getting the Camarones Al Chipotle, while my guy got Chile Relleno De Queso. My shrimp dish was amazing-tons of shrimp with roasted corn and tender bites of asparagus, and a chipotle sauce flavorable and just spicy enough. My guy was similarly impresses with the Chile Relleno, though he didn't say much, just finished it quickly and started working on the shrimp I couldn't finish. The staff was efficient and friendly and went out of their was to engage us in conversation. I love authentic Mexican food and was delighted to find this place

There are newer reviews for El Centro Mexican Restaurant

Reviewed 24 April 2016

I'm prettty picky about Mexican food, and El Centro has a nice selection of "the real thing". I appreciated the homemade hot sauces and pickled jalapeños. I was undecided about what to order and the staff kindly let me try a few things first. Small space with poor acoustics, so gets loud when it's full - but worth the trip. Get there by 7 pm if you want to grab a table!

Reviewed 22 April 2016

Food was typically Mexican but nothing special, lacked a little something. Service was no better than average and drinks expensive, certainly better places to eat in this location. We asked about a few dishes and staff barely engaged - not very impressed to be honest.

Reviewed 24 March 2016 via mobile

We had so much fun and the food was delicious. I had a glass of red Sangria and white Sangria. Both exceptional, as was the guacamole --so fresh and topped with crumbled cheese. My dinner of shrimp wrapped in bacon with cheese, avocado salad and rice was crazy good. We finished it off with Churros with thick dipping sauce and the tres leche cake.
Scores 10/10 on my book. Would return in a heartbeat.

Reviewed 18 February 2016

Came here after work on a Friday night for dinner and drinks. All of us at the table ordered margaritas, which were all watered down, and super-weak. We all decided to switch with the next best-bet, which were bottled beers. There's a good selection of Mexican beers to order from. The food was great and tasty. Service was slow at times, mainly due to inattentive wait staff. Overall, an average experience, but nothing outstanding