“Private, Well Apportioned, and Very Bostonian”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Gilded Lily

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Gilded Lily
Ranked #2 of 39 Boston B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Private, Well Apportioned, and Very Bostonian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

One of the benefits of B&Bs is the opportunity to capture a "life in CITY" point of view that can't be matched in a chain hotel, where "the sameness of things" is reliable and predictable. The Gilded Lily is what I imagine a Bostonian experience to be. I stayed in the Parlour Room on the third floor, overlooking South Boston rooftops with an October sunrise peeking through my blinds. My trip was business -- so the inn experience was limited to mornings and evenings. As mentioned in other reviews for this property, the location is ideal, close to transit, taxis and a mid-range walk to Copley Square (10 minutes) and the Theater District (20 minutes). The room was beautiful, very clean, with moderate room to stretch. Ample closet space. I used the wifi and ipod dock while working in the room at night. I used the TV in my room, though since there was no printed channel guide, it took some time trying to locate a sports event I wanted to see -- and I had no success with that. A minor disappointment. The other observation: This is a private experience, in that there is no common room for breakfast, so unless you happen to run into another guest in the shared kitchen area, or on the stairway, you will not interact with other guests or the innkeeper. You can take your breakfast to your room and enjoy it there, by yourself. (It is possible for friends to rent both rooms on the third floor -- and to open doorways to each other.) The innkeeper, in a lovely welcome note, does invite you to visit his office between specified hours daily in the ground floor if you wish to meet, and there is a telephone number, of course, for other queries/concerns you might have during your stay. This was my second choice -- as my first choice had no availability -- but I was very satisfied with the experience, and I remarked to my business associates what a gem this place is. Thank you for a nice stay!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

My husband and I felt like we were walking into authentic Boston as we strolled through the park, down the street and up the steep stairs that lead to the front door of the Gilded Lily. We spent the first 2 nights in a Parlor Room - very spacious, squeaky clean and we could prepare our own breakfast before heading out for the day. The last 2 nights were in the Garden Room which offered a luxuriously high, comfy bed. Loved this B&B - we could come and go as we pleased, very private and incredibly well presented and serviced.

Room Tip: Parlor rooms are more spacious but slightly more expensive.
1 Thank Kate R
Lodz, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

The Gilded Lilly, located in the impressive Brownstone building in South End is very good option for visiting Boston. Very conveniently located in the authentic surrounding, 5 minute walking to the subway station, this B&B has been our comfortable base for exploring the town.
We occupied the Parlour Room, sharing the kitchen with the neighbour Garden Room.
In the moment of booking we got very precise instruction about the arrival, entering the house and using all the facilities. This system is good for the tourists preferring to protect their privacy and being completely independent from the the housekeeper. However if you prefer every day contact and expect more assistance in the new place, there is rather no proper address for you.
In any case, the room we had, was absolutely perfect. Very tastefully restored , faultless clean and with specific touch.
The only one serious remark concerns the banal choice of breakfast assortments, which are stored in the fridge. Such a "plastic" frozen components do not match to this exceptional, chic place.

1 Thank laserkid
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

Great location. Great neighbourhood. Convenient walking to everything. Parlour Room was immaculate and comfortable.
Because my sister-in-law operates an outstanding B & B in BC, Canada (ranked 1 of 14 on TA)
our standards are high. The Gilded Lily exceeded our expectations.

2 Thank BB_McGee
East Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

The Gilded Lily is the best guest house I have ever stayed in. It is immaculate and well considered, with a real personal touch. I would certainly recommend staying here.

On arrival we let ourselves in with a pre-arranged code to enable us to get in the room. We were presented with the Garden Room on the first floor, with an adjoining kitchen which we shared with the other room on our floor. The room was beautifully decorated and spacious, with a large bathroom with a shower. The adjoining kitchen was stocked with breakfast foods/juices etc. You had access to a fridge if you wanted to store your own food, and there were facilities for you to cook a meal if you wished. We chose to eat out but it was nice to have the option. There a few restaurants within walking distance - we recommend the cafe/restaurant literally on the corner and the thai restaurant opposite.

I noticed some people have mentioned the stairs - I am not able to walk brilliantly, but I found them ok. There is a steep flight to get into the main door, and then one flight up to our room on the first floor. Just be prepared to carry you're bags up and you'll be fine.

As first time visitors to Boston, we were delighted to have a downtown map, guidebook and other information on Boston in our room on arrival. Not many places provide you with everything you need for your stay.

With regards to the location, you're three stops from the main downtown subway station. However, you can easily get to Chinatown close by (two stops), the Prudential building (which gives amazing views of the whole of Boston from the viewing deck - one stop or a short walk), and it's an easy ride up to Cambridge where you can see Harvard. The T (subway) is one block away for the orange line, and two for the green line, so it's a great location for getting about.

If you've not been to Boston, there are a few things I would recommend you do - we only had two days there but here are our experiences. For amazing views of Boston up to Harvard, try the river cruise going from Lechmere (on the green T) - the sunset one is great and you can have a cocktail as you sail :). As mentioned before, the Prudential building is great for an ariel view. Of course, Harvard is worth a look, and a picnic by the Charles River on a sunny day is a good thing to do. We also wanted to see the Boston Tea Party museum, but this is currently under reconstruction, so don't waste a journey over there.

So, if you're a discerning traveller wanting quality and comfort, I recommend the Gilded Lily. It's personal without being overbearing (you might not even see the inn keeper but the rooms have a personal touch) and definitely value for money.

Room Tip: We were in the Garden Room at the back of the building - a superb quiet room.