“One of the most impressive hotels I have stayed in....”

Mandarin Oriental, Boston
Ranked #11 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 6 March 2012

My wife and I stayed in a spa floor room, with hardwood floors. Just fantastic. The service on all levels at this hotel is at the top of it's class. Perfect location on Newbury Street. Would recommend this place time and time again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nevels2000

Reviewed 4 March 2012

When I called MO in Boston and told the front desk I would have a late arrival from California (11PM),
she graciously asked if there was anything she could do upon my arrival. Jokingly, I said “yes, I would love some room service - 2 scoops ice cream. MO is know for bringing each guest their yummy tea. To my surprise, and delight, the kitchen staff sent not just the tea, however brought me THREE scoops of ice cream with a flower on the tray and a big welcoming smile on behalf of the server and the staff!!
I was so blown away because my conversation with the front desk had been over a week before my arrival!
I continue to tell this story, and most of all, I continue to get that special attention throughout during my frequent returns to Boston.
Laurie M
San Diego, Ca

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Laurie M
Reviewed 28 February 2012

After spending some time looking for a place to live in Boston I decided to treat myself. I also loved the atmosphere of welcoming as soon as you arrive, the front desk and doorman and all the staff. I throughly enjoyed my experience , my room, the spa and the location. So glad I treated myself ! I love hotels where you feel something when you walk in the lobby and not just have a room. So few places realize what a little consistent friendliness can do for a hotel . They have it right!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 February 2012

The hotel was nice. To be fair I don't love oriental decor. The bellman and front desk were friendly and made you feel welcome immediately. All the staff we encountered were wonderful. My husband and I went to celebrate an evening away without our little ones. The location is perfect. You can walk to shops and restaurants, they are just outside the hotel. We had room service for dinner which was spectacular. The food was delicious and our server was extremely pleasant. The spa is the best Boston has to offer. We arrived an hour before our treatment and got to enjoy the vitality pool, rain shower and steam room separately. I was so relaxed before I even began my 80-minute massage. I highly recommend this spa even if your looking to go for the day. We will definitely be back again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Our recent trips to Boston included stays at Marriott, Hilton, Westin and Hyatt hotels and we decided to aim a little higher this time. Taking advantage of weekend "3 for 2" rates, we chose Mandarin Oriental, having never stayed at the Boston location even though we have stayed at Mandarins in other locations.

The hotel did not disappoint. The rooms are modern and cozy, the location is excellent if you want access to restaurants and shopping without going outside in the Winter....and if you do want to go outside, Newbury Street is just around the corner with more restaurants and shops.

Service is top quality, as good as we would expect from a hotel of this level. The free Mercedes pick up and drop off is not quite as convenient due to the requirement that it is booked in advance, can only go a maximum of two miles and only in 1/2 hour increments, but who can really complain about free Mercedes service, even if it requires a little schedule adjustment? It really is a nice touch that we appreciated.

The staff is amazingly well selected and trained, including front desk staff, room service, housekeeping and concierge, all of which we utilized.

Room Tip: Try to get an upgrade, which is offered through Amex Fine Hotels program.