“Wishful trip...”

St.Claire Art
Ranked #46 of 155 things to do in Asheville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: St.Claire Art is the gallery and working studio of Asheville artist Stephen St.Claire. His paintings are unique in that he begins each one by sculpting the composition onto the canvas with layers of modeling compound and gesso, then covering the entire surface with Italian aluminum leaf. Oil paint is then applied to the metal, and then each piece is finished with several layers of solar-protectant resin. "I have called my technique Dialuminism ("light passing through") because light reflects off the metal background layer, passes through the layers of paint and then is refracted by the layers of resin (which acts as a clear lens, fused to the surface of the painting). The result is a painting that is basically back-lit, which creates very intense color. Light plays off some areas and casts shadows beneath others, creating a dimensional painting that changes in appearance depending upon where the viewer is standing in relation to the light source." Visitors are always welcome not only to view the artwork, but to pull up a chair and chat with the artist.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed 10 April 2018

I visited the St. Claire gallery because I loved what I saw online...unfortunately I loved it even more in person but my budget couldn't handle it! I spent a good while just staring in admiration and hope to be back someday to purchase a piece!

Stephen S, Owner at St.Claire Art, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Thanks so much for your review. And you’re welcome back to the studio anytime you’re in Asheville, and when you’re ready for purchase, will be ready for you!

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"dimensional"
"home"

Reviewed 16 March 2018

Be careful, once you have found your way to this world class gem of an art gallery, you will be spellbound to return whenever you are in Asheville. And if you are able to make one of these unique, luminous pieces your own, you and your family will appreciate your good fortune for many years to come. I have three pieces so far, a family legacy for each of my three daughters to share with their families for generations to come. Stephen has been extremely patient and generous in making sure each daughter has found their favorite work. Treat yourself to the gift of visiting here, and see why everyone who discovers it... raves about it.

Stephen S, Owner at St.Claire Art, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2018

Thank you so much. I'm so glad you enjoy visiting our studio/gallery and that you feel the way you do about my artwork. This is as encouraging as it is humbling!

Reviewed 3 February 2018

My wife and I stayed in Lake Lure and traveled to Asheville for several visits during our stay, one of which was focused on going to galleries and exploring Asheville's vibrant art scene. After a full day of seeing many local artists, we found St. Claire Art and we were instantly delighted. Stephen's artwork is a complex blend of the familiar joy of all the beautiful nature that surrounds the area melded with his unique and novel approach to creating his work. Ultimately, we purchased one of his landscapes of local mountain scene and one of his abstract works. They instantly became our favorite artwork in our collection.

Stephen S, Owner at St.Claire Art, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2018

Thank you! Thank you for supporting me with your purchase (that literally enables me to continue painting!). And thank you for your very kind words AND for taking time out of your day to express them. I sincerely appreciate it!

Reviewed 1 February 2018

A visit to Asheville would not be complete without a stop at this gallery. Stephen's art will mesmerize you with its luminosity and beauty. His process of foil and oil is an art form made in heaven. The landscapes are simply breathtaking. I purchased a piece there while on vacation and have enjoyed it every day since. It transports me to a quiet place of beauty with its color and composition. I cannot say enough about this gifted artist. I once told him his hands were blessed by God and I sincerely think they are!!!!!!! Do yourself a favor and stop at his gallery so you can see why I say this..

Stephen S, Owner at St.Claire Art, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2018

Hey, THANK YOU! "Foil and Oil"...I'll have to remember that. That's good. Thanks so much for your encouragement. I'm so glad you are enjoying your painting and that you took the time to say so. Come back and visit any time you're in Asheville!