“Aesthetic Delights”

St.Claire Art
Ranked #46 of 155 things to do in Asheville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: St.Claire Art is the gallery and working studio of Asheville artist Stephen St.Claire. His paintings are unique in that he begins each one by sculpting the composition onto the canvas with layers of modeling compound and gesso, then covering the entire surface with Italian aluminum leaf. Oil paint is then applied to the metal, and then each piece is finished with several layers of solar-protectant resin. "I have called my technique Dialuminism ("light passing through") because light reflects off the metal background layer, passes through the layers of paint and then is refracted by the layers of resin (which acts as a clear lens, fused to the surface of the painting). The result is a painting that is basically back-lit, which creates very intense color. Light plays off some areas and casts shadows beneath others, creating a dimensional painting that changes in appearance depending upon where the viewer is standing in relation to the light source." Visitors are always welcome not only to view the artwork, but to pull up a chair and chat with the artist.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed 3 February 2018

My wife and I stayed in Lake Lure and traveled to Asheville for several visits during our stay, one of which was focused on going to galleries and exploring Asheville's vibrant art scene. After a full day of seeing many local artists, we found St. Claire Art and we were instantly delighted. Stephen's artwork is a complex blend of the familiar joy of all the beautiful nature that surrounds the area melded with his unique and novel approach to creating his work. Ultimately, we purchased one of his landscapes of local mountain scene and one of his abstract works. They instantly became our favorite artwork in our collection.

Stephen S, Owner at St.Claire Art, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2018

Thank you! Thank you for supporting me with your purchase (that literally enables me to continue painting!). And thank you for your very kind words AND for taking time out of your day to express them. I sincerely appreciate it!

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"dimensional"
"home"

Reviewed 1 February 2018

A visit to Asheville would not be complete without a stop at this gallery. Stephen's art will mesmerize you with its luminosity and beauty. His process of foil and oil is an art form made in heaven. The landscapes are simply breathtaking. I purchased a piece there while on vacation and have enjoyed it every day since. It transports me to a quiet place of beauty with its color and composition. I cannot say enough about this gifted artist. I once told him his hands were blessed by God and I sincerely think they are!!!!!!! Do yourself a favor and stop at his gallery so you can see why I say this..

Stephen S, Owner at St.Claire Art, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2018

Hey, THANK YOU! "Foil and Oil"...I'll have to remember that. That's good. Thanks so much for your encouragement. I'm so glad you are enjoying your painting and that you took the time to say so. Come back and visit any time you're in Asheville!

Reviewed 30 January 2018

Every time we are in Asheville we make a point to stop in the gallery. I own two small pieces and hope someday to be able to afford a larger piece. One of my favorite artists in Asheville!

Stephen S, Owner at St.Claire Art, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2018

Thank you so much! That's one of the best things about an open studio here (being visited by nice people like you). I used to work by myself at home, which was nice and quiet but this business model is a lot better than just painting alone all day long! Thanks for visiting, and thank you so much for the very kind review.

Reviewed 17 January 2018 via mobile

We originally saw St. Claire's artwork a couple of years ago, were so impressed we kept the contact information. For our anniversary my husband surprised me with an original piece commissioned by Stephen. All along the process the artist kept us informed, sending photos of the progress.
Once completed, it was packaged very securely for its trip to Utah.
The painting is of the special place my husband and I met, so not only is it beautiful, but has extreme sentimental value.
His technique is one we've not seen elsewhere.... we especially love the gold leaf!
We look forward to going back to the gallery again!

Stephen S, Owner at St.Claire Art, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2018

Your project (I think you know this by now) was SO MUCH FUN. I had a blast. So...thank you!

See more reviews
Reviewed 15 December 2017

We had Stephen create a painting for our living room from a picture I took on my iPhone of Waterfall Park located here on Gateway Mountain which is just east of Asheville. The end result was absolutely stunning and looks great in our home and more importantly reminds us of what a beautiful place we live in. We look forward to work with Stephen on another piece of artwork in the future!

1  Thank john650wpc
Stephen S, Owner at St.Claire Art, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2017

Thank you! The waterfall piece I did for you was so much fun to work on and I was glad I got to deliver it in person and see your mountaintop house! I look forward to any future painting I do for your amazing home.