“Misleading sign”

Ranked #58 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Loganville, Georgia
“Misleading sign”
Reviewed 7 July 2011

My wife and I were traveling thru Asheville on the 4th of July weekend and most hotels were full. We did find the Econo Lodge on Tunnel Road that had several empty rooms. The sign out front said Newly Updated Rooms. So we thought we were safe(WRONG). We checked in only to find our room did have new carpet (like indoor/outdoor)and paint. That was it for the updating. The door would not close well or by itself as most hotel room doors do. The door did not have a chain lock and the dead bolt would not even work so we were at the mercy of just the key card door lock. The furniture looked like it was about to fall apart and the BIG BOXY T.V. was sitting on a dresser that was directly to the side of the bed so if your wanted to watch it you had to lay across the bed to not strain your neck. The tub had rust in it and the towels looked and felt like i could push my fingers thru them. OOOH no sprinkler system either so the building must have been as old as it looked. No extra pillow,blanket or shampoo either. I forgot my razor and went to the front desk and the lady for one and she said that they did not supply razors, after several times trying to ask her and she did not understand RAZOR so i had to use sign language like i was shaving my face to get her to figure it out. OOOH well on a lighter note the small fridge did work keeping drinks cold. You don't have to worry about the check out time either since we were in a big hurry to get out of there as many people we saw in the morning doing the same thing.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cop59

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Pawling, New York
Reviewed 12 September 2010

Arrived at room in late afternoon. Went to bed that night and pulled back bedspreads and notice potato chips and other food stuff under bed. Went to front desk and asked for floor to be vacuumed. Came back to room the next day at lunch time and room still not vacuumed, but the beds were made. When you check into a room and PAY for 2 days you expect the room to be vacuumed and cleaned. When we checked out the owner had charged us an additional $14 for the 2nd night because it was a Friday. We told her she never told us that the room would be more for the 2nd night and she said it was all hotel policies and we should have known that. We told her that she had a lot of nerve charging us $14 more for the 2nd night especially since we had to request TWICE that our room be cleaned. Never again would I ever stay there or would I recommend the hotel to anyone. The owner was very rude to us. They advertise hi-speed internet but it only works in the first 3 rooms in the row.....if you want to use your computer you need to bring it down to a table and chair in the main office. How annoying is that? We specifically asked if they had hi-speed and they said yes. This owner runs a very unreliable and untruthful hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rgieseking
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 20 February 2010

I visited Asheville and decided to stay here with some friends who traveled with me. I stayed based solely on the price of the hotel since it was a budget trip. I would hardly call it Biltmore since Biltmore is 20 mins away. It is almost directly across the street from the back entrance to the Asheville Mall - which is very convenient. BUT, it is also across from Waffle House, which means there are a ton of loud sketchy drunks wandering around at night. This was ok for a budget trip with friends, but I would never ever take my family here.

When we went to check out and I was heading back out of town, I realized I left my really nice jacket there next to the bed against the wall. When I called, she said she would leave a note for the housekeeper. When I called back a week later, she said the housekeeper never turned anything in. I guess someone's daughter has a really nice jacket now - which is worth more than I paid to stay there. It was a good price for just a bed to sleep though.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
charleston sc
Reviewed 12 February 2010

by Traveling Man 02/11/2010
I recently 02/09/10 stayed in Asheville Due to a snow storm that delayed my travel, looking for a great rate, clean rooms, I found Excellent Front Desk personal Donna & Kathy were so nice & helpful. The complimentary breakfast ,bagals, Doughnuts,orangejuice & coffee was more than enough, & what impressed me the most was how clean it was. The Front Desk girls made me feel at home. When your looking for a clean, friendly, affordable nights stay this is the place. Close to all the shopping & resturants. 5 STAR ON THIS ONE. I will be back.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank travling_man36
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 9 August 2009

Stayed here for 2 night on vacation. Place was recently remodeled so the room was great. Did not smell, was clean, comfortable no complaints. There is no breakfast worth braggin about so don't expect more than coffe and a donut. Great local diner about 2 or 3 blocks down.
The only drawback is a few Harley lawnmowers checked in and these guys were loud with there lawnmowers and also you could hear them seap loud in the morning before they left. But it wasnt the hotels fault. Compared to many of the dives out here this is a good one.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple