“Great hotel to downtown Asheville”

Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown
Ranked #46 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 3 January 2012

This hotel seemed to be old and needs some upgrades. The outside door on the ground floor does not work and we were not told that when we checked in. The hotel knew about it b/c when I told them they told me we could go out the door but could not use our key to get in. This coul dbe a serious safety issue. You can go out of the door but you can not come in the door usless you prop the door open. The room was ok but nothing to write home about. We had a room facing I-240 and could hear traffic but it was not bad to where you could not sleep. The best thing about the hotel is that you can walk to all of the restaurants downtown. The service in the hotel restaurant was ok. If you like to drink and go to the bar and show them your room key you can get a sample of a local beer. The hallway in the ground floor had an awful smell so try and stay away from the ground floor rooms. This is not the worst hotel I have ever stayed in but I the ONLY reason I would ever stay here again is b/c of the location to downtown Asheville and all of the restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
FourPointsAsheville, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to know who you spoke with at the Front Desk that informed you about not getting back in to the door. This is a problem I was unaware of and if they knew about a problem someone from maintenance should have been called to correct the issue. Starwood standard is to have optional entry points to the hotel that function. I apologize for any inconvenience. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. We appreciate your business and would love to have you give us a second chance for an honest, uncomplicated, comfortable stay.

Reviewed 24 December 2011

My husband and I booked this hotel for 3 nights as we were in town to visit family for the holidays. I'll begin my review with stating the positives before I get into the negatives. Upon arrival, I was greeted very warmly by friendly and helpful staff at the front desk. Our hotel room appeared quite clean with the exception of the numerous dust bunnies underneath the beds (which can wreak havoc on asthmatics and allergists like myself). The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean and had much more space than many other hotels I have stayed in at the 3-star range. One major perk of this hotel, if you're a fitness fanatic like me and my husband is that you are allowed to use the YMCA free of charge while staying at the hotel. Both my husband and I took advantage of this...well...until we were unable to get enough sleep on nights 2 and 3 to have the energy to workout. The first night was great. Comfortable beds, extra hot water in the showers, along with great water pressure, I was really starting to enjoy the hotel. Well, that was of course, until the people with two LOUDLY barking dogs moved into room 324, the room directly above ours. Around 9:00 PM on night two of my stay, the barking began. What the dog owners in 324 would do before they left the hotel for their nightly excursions was lock the dogs in the bathroom, which caused the dogs to bark non-stop. Believe it or not, but because they were in the bathroom right above ours, and there is a vent connecting the two, it sounded as if their dogs were in our very own bathroom. No exaggerations. We complained (politely) to the front desk and they were friendly saying they would get the maintenance guy to ask the owners to control the animals. Well, an hour passed and the dogs were still barking and my husband and I were starting to become quite annoyed as we couldn't hear our own TV over the barking without turning the TV up so loud it would disturb other guests as well. Around 10:30 PM, it was my husband's turn to head down to the front desk to handle the issue since we were ready to go to sleep. My husband said the front desk folks were nice and they told him that they had tried calling the owners cell phones and left messages since the maintenance guy had told them no one was in the room. The hotel had not heard back from the folks from room 324. Around 11:30 PM, the hotel staff offered to move us to another room, which is a plus and minus in my review. Here I was on the 2nd night of my stay with all of my belongings already hung up in the closets, clothes unpacked and put in the dresser, and already in my pjs and I was going to have to relocate to another room in the middle of the night. On the plus side, at least they offered to move us. On the down side, why was I being inconvenienced when I think the hotel should have somehow inconvenienced the owners of those dogs. Not long after the offer was made that we could change rooms, the owners in room 324 returned and the barking stopped. My husband and I opted to stay in our room since it was the close to midnight and we were hoping the people in 324 would either check-out the next morning or at least have common courtesy to not leave the dogs locked in the bathrooms barking. Well, we probably should have just moved all of our junk to another room when we had the chance. The people in room 324 were staying another night, just like us. On night 3 of our stay, we were awoken at 1:00 AM with the loud barking of dogs. The owners had, yet again, locked their dogs up in the bathroom in the wee hours of the morning. I quickly called down to the front desk where Gavin (I believe) took my call. He told me he would call up to the room promptly. A few minutes later, Gavin called me and said that they had to call the owners cell phone since they were not in the room. Gavin said that the owners mentioned they were going out to find food and would be back soon to quiet the dogs. WTF??? Here it was 1:00 AM, the owners knew the dogs would bark and be obnoxious and yet they did it again. And you know what, they did it because the hotel management sucks at punishing people that choose to allow their pets to be obnoxious and ruin other people's stay. What seemed like a great hotel and a 3 night stay that I was looking forward to, was quickly ended because this hotel is "pet friendly" with ZERO rules/consequences (that are enforced) to ensure that the pets do not ruin the atmosphere. As an added note, the owners did not return quickly so my husband and I lay awake listening to the LOUD barking until almost 2:30 AM. RIDICULOUS. This hotel has so much to offer and yet it was quite the let down all because it is "pet friendly." I loved the location of this hotel as it was within walking distance to downtown Asheville, but there's no convenience that would make me want to choose this hotel ever again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Andrea H
FourPointsAsheville, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 December 2011

Thank you for your feedback. I have informed my Front Desk staff that we do not tolerate obnoxious dog barking. If the owners cannot come back in a reasonable amount of time we will charge them and compensate the guests that are being disturbed. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. We appreciate your business and would love to have you give us a second chance for an honest, uncomplicated, comfortable stay.

Reviewed 23 December 2011

Got to be honest, when you book this hotel, nowhere on the website does it tell you how much the pet fee is...we booked it through SPG/Starwood Preferred Guest and on that particular website it does not show any fees to be charged. After disputing the charge they responded that they do mention that pets can stay for a fee on their personal website but nowhere does it show the actual fee. We did not even see their website because we book directly through SPG and why would a customer go to the particular hotel site to book it. Once we checked in we were advised that the pet fee is a non refundable $50 and it was too late for us to cancel without loosing our points and cash. They have plenty of room to be upfront and more open with their fees, everyone else seems to post their fees and if they are to high, we don't book it. By the way, the hotel is old and it shows. We wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. After our conversation I have spoken with SPG and asked them to disclose the pet fee amount. We do not mention the $50.00 on our website but will gladly disclose the amount when people call and ask. I assure you there is nothing to hide. Our building was fully renovated 5 years ago and is 42 years old. In 2013 we are due for another renovation. We appreciate your business and would love to have you give us a second chance for an honest, uncomplicated, comfortable stay.

Reviewed 22 December 2011

This hotel has a great location in relation to downtown Asheville and most of the area attractions. The hotel clearly was a revamp from a previous branding. Overall is acceptable and have all necessary amenities available as restaurant and gym area including a deal with YMCA next door. Highly recommend to avoid a room next facing the Interstate as can be noisy during early mornings. Also avoid rooms ending 01 on each floor since are behind the elevator and facing the highway - if you are a light sleeper would be an issue.
The customer service is inconsistent. Depend who you get at the front desk you will have from a Professional amicable customer service oriented employee ( thanks Kevin!) or you could have an obnoxious, rude and careless employee (example: JP ) that makes no sense and is unable to detect his own mistake and instead of looking for help from the Manager on duty, he will create more inconvenience to the customer. As a fact , I did needed the intervention of a Manager for a simple recheck in to the same room due to a different reservation number.

Room Tip: Try to avoid highway side
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you had a problem with our Front Desk. the only way to make them better is to receive comments such as yours. I will certainly use them as a coaching tool to make my team better. We appreciate your business and look forward to you visiting us again soon. Shannon Mason Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 21 December 2011

The noise outside the hotel is terrible. I could not get to sleep with the highway outside my window. The windows shook from the trucks passing the windows. I told the gentleman at the front desk about the noise and his reply was "Okay, we know"! Thinking this was the worst thing that could happen, I went to the food establishment inside the hotel for coffee and breakfast, the waitress was rude and the food was terrible. I went to another hotel (Crown Plaza)the next morning to get some sleep. Four Points management needs to sleep in those rooms they put us in and then go visit a real three star hotel at the Crown Plaza.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank traverette
FourPointsAsheville, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2011

Thank you for speaking with me yesterday on the phone. I have spoken with my Front Desk staff about the situation and believe it to be resolved. We did not discuss you having a bad experience in our restaurant. I am passing this information to our restaurant manager for her review. I am glad you were able to have a restful night at the Crowne Plaza as we are both franchised by the same owner. Please allow us a second opportunity to give you an honest, uncomplicated, comfortable stay. Shannon Mason -- Guest Services Manager