“Great Location”

Ramada Asheville / Biltmore West
Ranked #59 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Once again I am surprised by a hotel after reading the reviews. This hotel had a great location for my friends and I to enjoy downtown Asheville as well as the Biltmore Estate Area. After reading the review I almost decided not to say but got a really good deal. The lobby of the hotel looked fairly update and a nice looking check-in area. I decided to book one of the rooms on the inside of the hotel and it was worth it. The room opened onto a large atrium area that contained the pool and spa area. The pool and spa were in operation when I stayed at the hotel. The room was not brand new but everything looked ok and was very clean. The front desk was very helpful when we had any questions. I would stay again when we return to the Asheville area.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 March 2012

This hotel is in serious need of cosmetic and structural upgrading. Room was shabby as was rest of common space. The door keylock only worked with a lot of patience.The worst thing though is that my car was broken into at night, right next to the back door There were lights but no cameras nor security guards. My car is alarmed but I have no idea whether it went off. My window was smashed and valuables and my suitcase and computer taken. I have had to do the entire identity theft routine.
Id never stay there again and you shouldn't either!

Room Tip: Not in this hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank iris m
Reviewed 24 March 2012

This was the worst hotel experience I’ve ever had. The staff is very lazy, and does not care about the customer at all. This was almost like a ghost hotel, as there were no other patrons but my group, and almost all of the amenities were out of order.To listen to the whole story please read on. Beware, it’s very long.

So my friends and I were coming back from a 12 hour drive from Indiana to southeaster North Carolina. We wanted to stay overnight in the Biltmore area for some R&R, as to cut the agonizing drive down a bit. So we checked online at a couple of places in the area for a hotel that specifically had a hot tub, and wasn’t too pricy. The Ramada Inn Biltmore West seemed to fit the bill, at least by the description. I ignored the great number of negative reviews I found online, as I thought to myself “Most bad reviews are by spoiled people that are just way too picky”, and decided to give it a shot anyways. I and another passenger in my car both called the hotel to find out if they had a WORKING hot tub. We were assured by the front desk clerk that they had one, and that it was working as well. We then reserved a room for the night and headed to the hotel. After checking in we headed up to our room, and on the way I noticed that the hotel was decaying. Nothing looked like it was working except the pool and hot tub. Actually the same things that weren’t working were the same things that were listed in the year old reviews, how surprising. So when I get to our room it took 10 minutes just to unlock the electronic lock on the door. It looked like they were still using the original card reader locks from when the hotel was first built. So we FINALY get the door open, and get our luggage into the room. The room décor was very dated, the TV was an old dusty 90s model CRT tube, Bleh! The remote to the Television didn’t have any batteries in it, so I called down to the front desk clerk Nick and asked the guy if he had an extra remote or batteries I could come and get. He said that he would take care of it and have someone bring a remote up to the room. So we waited for about 20 minutes, and after not hearing back from him, we decided to go grab a bite from the restaurant next door. After dining we decided to head down to the hot tub. Ah! I am finally about to dip myself into this nice hot bubbly tuuuuub, or am I? This hot tub water had a greenish-yellow tint to it, and the water jets weren’t turning on. Luckily the guy Nick, who was working the front desk walks by, so I grab his attention “Excuse me sir! I’m having an issue getting the water jets to come on. Am I doing something wrong?”. Nick replied “Probably not, we’re waiting on a part for it”. So then I asked “How long has it been out of commission?” He then replied “About a week”. Wow…………………………………………………………….

Of course I wasn’t going to settle for this, and would not expect anyone to do so in this situation. So I go back to the front desk and complain (I don’t think I even need to get into what that conversation was about), and told the clerk I was not going stay and demanded a refund. The clerk said that I would need to call the General Manager in the morning (Monday) to get a refund, and that he did not have the authority to do so. He then canceled the reservation and said that the transaction wouldn’t go through my debit card since it was canceled so early. After going from one hotel to another we found somewhere else to stay for double the price that had a WORKING hot tub. Mind you it was 9oclock by the time we got settled in our new room.
3 days later I check my bank account, and of course, the transaction went through. I got charged anyways. I picked up my phone and called the hotel and spoke with some lady, who I found out later was one of their Home Office Managers. I explained to her the situation, and told her that this needed to be taken care of today, because if it was not I would risk bouncing a check. She told that she would call the general manager, work it out, and get back to me within a few ours. So 3-4 hours went by and I hadn’t received a call, so I decided to call back and see what the status was. This time I spoke with the lady who I originally spoke with over the phone, and who made the reservation. I expressed to her my discontent for the lack of knowledge and inconveniences she brought upon my friends and I. Of course she denied the fact that the hot tub had be out of order for a week and blamed Nick (the guy working the front desk the night of) for twisting the truth. I asked her where the lady was that I spoke with earlier about the issue because she was supposed to call me back, and she said that she had left for the evening, and passed the buck off to her so she could ask the guy Nick about what happened that night as soon as he clocked in at 5pm. So I’m furious at this point and ask her why the lady left without calling me back to tell me what was going on. She said that she didn’t know why, seeing as she was one of the managers from the home office. So I waited another 4 days to talk to this illusive manager that works only 2 days a week from what all the staff told me (Must be nice). The money finally got refunded back to my account, I spoke with the general manager who said that he was on vacation, and that the staff, including the women from the home office never even contacted him, but only left a written note.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Isaac S
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Upon booking we were told we would receive a free complimentary breakfast to the onsite IHOP. Upon check out, we were offered a 25% discount instead. The rooms are nasty and mostly isolated from the hotel lobby. They advertise a Sauna, which doesnt work. The pool was nasty and the service was terrible. If u want to enjoy yourself and your family AVOID this hotel!

Room Tip: All rooms suck here
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I wish I had seen the negative reviews before we booked a stay here prior to our trip to the Biltmore! DISGUSTING! Stains on furniture and floors. Mold in the bathroom and a hole in the wall by the sink. The headboard literally fell off the wall when I was checking for bedbegs (which I am surprised I didn't find...) Breakfast was BAD as the cold items weren't cold, including the milk. I asked the gal behind the bar area to bring some cold milk out, and she said they were all warm as the fridge was "turned down". Guess that would have been their cost-saving maneuver. Luckily my small children didn't get sick from it. No wonder the Ramada website only has an "artist rendition" photo of the interior atrium!

We wanted a hotel with an indoor pool as we were traveling with our kids from quite a distance away, and knew they would need the exercise. I was terribly disappointed. The hotel appears to have been an old Holidome from the early 80's, and doesn't appear to have been renovated much since then. The bedding appeared to be newer, and the pillows might have been brand new. They were so fat the kids couldn't even use them. The bathroom had some remodeling, but not sufficient to cover the problems. The hot tub was sectioned off as if it was being fixed or re-done, but the hotel fron desk gal told another patron when he complained that it hasn't worked "for years". No toilet paper in the bathroom by the pool. Sauna not working. The hotel pool had very few chairs, which were all taken when I took my kids down, so I basically had to stand holding their clothes and towels and watch them swim. We will never go back or recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family