“Just Dinner but would avoid ”
Review of The Bull & Beggar

The Bull & Beggar
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bull & Beggar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #80 of 840 Restaurants in Asheville
Price range: USD 3 - USD 100
Cuisines: French, British
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: River Arts District European Inspired Appalachian Cuisine. Raw Bar. Handmade Cocktail. Old World Wine
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

The place is located in the River Art District. It was nice compared to its surroundings.

If you cannot read French you may need your wait staff to break it down into plain terms.

Our waitress did that. I was very surprised at the limited entree choices.

We both ordered the Sheepshead fish on the waitress’ recommendation.

The restaurant does not allow substitutions for the side item. This was very disappointing.

The fish was over cooked and extremely bland with the cream cauliflower. The whole plate blended together.

I definitely would not return.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Happy hour oysters are $18 a dozen from 5-6. Great selection to chose from and they put a label by the different types so you can tell which they are. Oysters are great with selections from from New England and California. Bartender was very snobby. Drinks are $10 each and up. Owner had their toddler eating at the bar. Was going to have dinner here but decide to go else where where we felt more welcome.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Raclette is not often on menus in my journeys, and B & B's version is very tasty. As for the toothpick with the flag of Switzerland? Can't decide if that's goofy or good-quirky.

The lobster roll here has plenty of lobster but nothing "special" about it - perhaps with the brioche roll I would love it (but my requirement to keep GF just doesn't permit that.) the chili sauce served with the lobster roll is not a particularly good match and definitely overpowers the lobster. Finally, the accompanying house-made potato chips for this dish were not GF; I think the waitress should have informed me of that in advance.

My friend's steak was perfectly cooked and accompanied by a marrow bone, which he didn't choose to enjoy! Another diner found the lamb shoulder confit exquisite, so flavorful and rich. My husband very much enjoyed the grilled octopus.

Drinks here are good. Prices overall are on the high side.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

This was once one of my favorite places in Asheville. My wife have had many great meals here. They have a great oyster selection and we have gone to 6$ burger mondays many times. I think the table service here is still great. However, our last trip here ended quite poorly at the bar. We were to meet at the bar on a monday. The bartender, who according to the new restaurant next door, has a bad reputation that preceeds him, was rude and essentially harassed my wife before she could even order. Had to do something with the amount of space on the bar in front of her. I came in and met her as she was leaving. People in the service industry need to know how to serve people. Doubt we will be back for awhile.

Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

How’s it all good restaurants the sauce is the thing. This restaurant pulls it off. The fillet had an excellent reduction and was cooked perfectly perfectly. The Raclette tasted like it does in Switzerland. The Maddalens were good but the smallest I have seen. I loved the lemon posset with thin strips of raw rhubarb. I have never seen that before.