“Always wanted to stop here...glad we did”
Review of Southern Kitchen & Bar - CLOSED

Southern Kitchen & Bar
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 19 March 2018

After a long day of walking and shopping, we stopped in for drinks at Southern. Outside was packed at 5 on St. Patty's, inside was quiet and relaxed. We ordered beers, which were cold and crips but our girls, 16 and 17, felt left out...so I asked the bartender to make something that tastes like alcohol but isn't. He nodded and came out with a super fruity, fizzy concoction that blew our girls away! It was so cool. I said what do you call that and he said, "don't know, just threw some things together - enjoy"! I really loved this bar. Has a lot of character. Clean. Not to stuffy, loud, or grungy. The right mix of everything we like!

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Even though the doorman was nice, the rest of place did not have it together. This is not the place if you want to order fun shots or have a group of more than 4 people. I’m sure it’s fine for locals, but not welcoming to outsiders. The bathroom was decent. One of the waitresses was a bit rude but we didn’t let it get us down. Check out 5 Walnut Wine Bar for a chill & friendly atmosphere.

Reviewed 24 December 2017

Met a friend for a drink here and everything about it was average- the cocktail was ok, the service was pretty slow….the bartender played on her phone nearly the entire time or talked to another employee. Not sure I would return unless whoever I was with just really wanted to come. The place is very convenient in terms of parking/walking distance in downtown.

Reviewed 15 December 2017

If you love pork belly, then get yourself here ASAP! You will thank me! I went the first night because it was one of the few places I could still get food after 11pm. I went back the 2nd night because I had been salivating over the pork belly sandwich all day! What makes their pork belly sandwich so special? The Korean slaw - i.e. kimchee flavor - that cuts the grease AND makes thick slab of pork belly even tastier. Had I stay longer, I would probably have gone back a 3rd night even though the friendly bartender encouraged me to try other restaurants around town, "we have a lot of great restaurants in town." He did successefully nudged me out to get dessert else where (French Broad Chocolate Lounge - mmmmmmm....!) before coming back for their weekly open mic. So fun!

Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

The place was recommended for mac'n cheese... nothing special...we got chicken on one order and pork on the other...both came out with cold meat and cold pasta. They took it back and brought new plate of it.... cold again. Ended up eating a couple bites and just throwing in the towel. Do not recommend.