“YOUR SECURITY IS AT RISK IF YOU STAY HERE”

Downtown Inn & Suites
Ranked #44 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Louisville, Kentucky
“YOUR SECURITY IS AT RISK IF YOU STAY HERE”
Reviewed 22 August 2012

On our first night our key cards quit working, so they offered us actual old fashioned metal keys. It wasn’t until our last day that I realized that they had actually given us multiple MASTER KEYS to every room in the hotel! Instead of either offering us a new room with a working key card reader, or fixing the key card reader.

I accidently got off the elevator on the wrong floor – and walked to the what I thought was my room and walked right in – but it wasn’t my room! Luckily it was empty at the time…but then I checked another vacant room, and another, and yes I had keys for everyone’s room.

I was horrified to know that the hotel gave me a key to every other guests’ rooms – no questions asked. My first thought was that if they gave me a key so easily, how many other master keys are out there? Who else had keys to my room? My second thought was – what if there had been a burglary, robbery, or assault at the hotel that weekend – the police would ask – Who had access to this room? and now I am a potential suspect.

Then I thought that I am pretty sure that most other guests would be upset to know that I had access to them, and their room while they were sleeping, or away.

This hotel DOES NOT VALUE YOUR SAFETY! DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Jeff C
NK_Patel-Owner, Owner at Downtown Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Filed by President of Rahul, Inc, DBA Downtown Inn.

This was a serious error on our part. A rare incident, we now have put a procedure in place that such instances will not occur again.

We want to point out to all our guests that we are one of the hotels in the area that implements the highest standards of guest security.

For example:
1. We do not rent rooms to anyone who does not have a valid ID.
2. We do not allow anyone to enter unless they have a valid ID.
3. All of our entrances: including stairway gates and elevator requires a guest room key to enter on the property. The main doors are locked at midnight and a guest room key and valid ID are required to enter.
4. We have night staff who make frequent security rounds to make sure that our security standards are maintained.

We have decades of records where guest security has never been a problem and no undesirable incident has taken place.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Roswell, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Location, location! This older downtown facility is at the center of everything. A few years back, this hotel was suffering from neglect but during my recent stay I was happy to see a revitalization. Newly decorated rooms. Refurbished pool and an overall renewal. Offered at some of the best rates in town and I would even recommend this to my Mother.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Rob W
Reviewed 20 August 2012 via mobile

No frills hotel, but room was clean and comfortable. Great downtown location; you can walk to just about anywhere of interest. Staff was friendly and helpful in providing directions. Great value, especially when they give many options for discount room rates: AARP, AAA, military/govt. ID, etc.

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank John K
Belmont, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 August 2012

This is what it is, a place to sleep and shower between activities. The room we had was clean, if outdated. What you will receive here is friendly service, free breakfast, and a free place to park your car while you are walking around downtown. Granted, the free parking is VERY tight (no Suburbans), but if you want to pay $3, you can park in a nearby lot. I suggest that you drive a small car and check in early. This is not a froo-froo-fancy-shampoo kind of hotel. You will not be wearing a fluffy robe and drinking espresso. What you will be doing is staying downtown for under a hundred bucks a night. :)

Room Tip: Ask for mountain view - the street side is very loud
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Darlington, South Carolina
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We've stayed several times at this very affordable hotel and will do it again and again. It is very clean, has a nice outdoor pool, and it offers an unusally good continental breakfast (including eggs, sausage, waffles, and bagels). Staff have always been friendly and attentive, and the manager Joline has always been very responsive to my occasional requests. Parking is free, and Location is a Real Big Plus if you like to indulge in this city's many nearby taverns. You can stay out as late as you want, and you never have to worry about a DUI.

Room Tip: If you do not mind the sound of water going into the pool, the mountain side rooms are very nice.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple