Open today: 3:00 pm - 2:00 am

Reviewed 10 September 2015
dtraveler29
greensboro, nc
via mobile
The Root Bar is a unique, truly Asheville experience.

Reviewed 13 February 2011

from USD 114.00
from USD 68.09
from USD 37.00
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 September 2015 via mobile

This little bar was next to the hotel we stayed in. Lucky for us we were there on Tuesday, also known as $3 draft day! Just a little disappointed that no one was playing root ball that night. Very good beer selection and a taco truck in the parking lot with great food.

1  Thank dtraveler29
Reviewed 28 May 2015 via mobile

My brothers and I were staying in the hotel opposite the Root bar. Saw the reviews on tripadvisor and popped into have a drink. We were made to feel very welcome. The locals were great fun and very easy going. Many a game of root ball was played and many drinks were had. We finally said goodbye to all our new friends at 3 am!! Will be coming back for more the next time we are visiting from the UK.
Many thanks to Ron for his impromptu guitar gig ! Andrew for teaching us how to play root ball. And finally Zac and Melanie for the drinks

5  Thank julian1969uk
Reviewed 16 January 2013

If you're coming to Asheville and you want to see Asheville the way locals see it, well visit The Root Bar!
It is an Asheville landmark because of a game called Root Ball. Invented and played here at The Root Bar, the game is a combination of boche ball and horseshoes. You can even take a Root Ball set home with you. With 3 courts out back and plenty of friendly people to show you how to play, you'll have a great time!
The bar itself is truly a dive bar. But don't let that scare you away. Only local beer on tap, a full bar, friendly bartenders and great customers, this is what makes the Root Bar a great place to hang out.
So head on out to east Asheville (right off I-40 exit 55) play some root ball and have a cold local brew,. You'll be happy you did!

5  Thank Barbara V
Reviewed 11 June 2012

a friendly and safe spot for a gal to stop in and have a cold one, listen to some good tunes, and meet decent, smart, fun people. I love that there are always other women there, and my husband can or not meet me. Just a good time, and a nice outdoor spot to chill. great to get out of the house, and still find some interesting and bright conversation in a funky atmosphere. I don't play root ball but love to watch.

4  Thank spaluv
Reviewed 13 February 2011

If you're ever looking for something you can ONLY do in Asheville, NC, you can find it at The Root Bar! The drinks are strong and affordable, and there's an AWESOME game out back called Root Ball, which was invented in Asheville, NC! I love the Root Bar, and I personally think that Asheville would do well to have a few more bars just like it.

5  Thank dulcinyc