“Solid Choice”

GreenLeadersGold level
Illinois
“Solid Choice”
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I recently stayed at the Hotel Indigo for a business trip. I had never been to Asheville before and was surprised to find a boutique style hotel!

The hotel is very contemporary, so if you are looking for old world charm this place isn't for you. However I loved it.

I was on the 4th floor, right outside the elevator. My first reaction was not good, because I am a light sleeper and always ask to be placed far from the elevators. However I did not hear any noise from the elevator itself, hallway noise yes, but it never woke me up.

The rooms have "hardwood" floors and I was happy to see that, because hotel carpets can be so filthy. So this room felt clean right away. The only drawback to the hardwood floors is that you can hear your neighbors above you if they are wearing heals.

My particular room was a good size, larger than a standard hotel room that you are used too. The bathroom had a very large shower, with Aveda products. One small complaint about the shower is if you are fairly short like myself, the shower head is almost unreachable to adjust. I had to get on my tip toes to adjust it.

The bed was super comfortable. My particular room had a view of the business next door, so there was nothing exciting about that. But if you ask for a higher room facing the mountains you will be pleasantly surprised.

The hotel is right along 240, and just on the outskirts of town. It's a short 5-10 minute walk to everything fun in Asheville.

I would definitely stay here again, but will ask to be on a higher floor next time so I can have somewhat of a view.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Cathy G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
Austin, TX
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Hotel is on one edge of downtown but within easy walking distance of downtown attractions. Our room (902) had a great mountain view. Rooms are compact but complete. Double drapes greatly reduced the outside freeway noise and car lights.

The staff was most helpful and overall service was outstanding. Love the ease of free covered parking and free Internet access. We will stay here anytime we return to the Asheville area.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the view. Mountain side was very pretty, did not see the downtown...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hensaustin
Forest Grove, Oregon
Reviewed 10 May 2012

The Hotel Indigo is a charming, modern boutique hotel. The lobby is contemporary, but comfortable and inviting. I got a standard queen room. Simple and tastefully decorated, spotless hardwood floors, beyond clean. The bathroom featured a big counter and large tiled shower. I was staying alone, so it was plenty spacious for me. It might be a little tight with 2 people. And you can't beat the location. Beautiful mountain views (from my room, anyway) and downtown is a couple of minutes walk. It doesn't get more convenient.

The only negative I can think of is the tightness of the parking. I had to be very careful backing out in the front circle after check in and go slowly down the ramp. Parking is free and is only for hotel guests, though, which is a plus.

The staff is very well-trained--friendly, helpful and accommodating. I got room service twice. Both orders came quickly. The BLT for lunch was very good. The omelet for breakfast was just okay. The server forgot to bring salt and pepper. I'm sure they would have brought it to me if I asked, but I didn't bother.

Overall, a fantastic place to stay. Love it!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank travel2424
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Indigo is the mark that the ICH Group (Holiday Inns, etc) has established for its chic, boutique hotels. This was our second experience with the Indigo brand (last year in London) and we are hooked. Service is excellent, public spaces and rooms are immaculate and the place is green; e.g., hallway lights on motion detectors, wood floors rather than carpet in the rooms. We had a corner room with spectacular views of the mountains to the west as well as the basilica and downtown. Room was large and the bathroom was huge - a walk-in shower TDF. Had breakfast at the in-lobby restaurant both days and the food was fresh and very reasonable. Property is literally on the Interstate, great fro easy access but can occasionally be noisy. A block and a half from funky downtown Asheville and lots of great shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: Get a mountain view room - a corner room if possible
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank FSR99
Lincolnshire, Illinois
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We have stayed at another hotel in Asheville for the last 5 years but it was booked. My step son recommended this hotel. This was the best decision. The hotel and its staff were above excellent. We travel with a dog and this hotel is extremely dog friendly. The room was terrific and the location was excellent for walking to downtown Asheville. I have never been to a hotel with a friendlier and warmer staff. I will definitely stay here again when we return to Asheville later this year.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family