“Good place for camping--and biking and walking”

Ranked #87 of 204 things to do in Asheville
More attraction details
Owner description: Located within the Pisgah National Forest, this 6,300-acre area is home to the North Carolina Arboretum.
Reviewed 7 February 2017

We live very close to Bent Creek, but we tent camp with kids at Bent Creek almost every year, just because it's so convenient. The camp sites are well maintained and quiet, and the bath houses are clean and have showers. Lake Powhatan is small but nice. There are miles of trails through the forest for hikers and mountain bikers--just be aware of bikers if you are on foot. You can walk (or bike) from the campground, down a trail and through a gate directly into the NC Arboretum, which is also a wonderful place to spend time.

3  Thank rebecca287
All reviews
"mountain biking"
in 9 reviews
"east of the mississippi"
"single track"
in 4 reviews
"river"
"acres"

Reviewed 31 July 2016

Bent is a bear sanctuary and, as the title of the forest denotes, an experimental area for the rangers. Some studies are more than eighty years old. And it is big brother is the Pisgah National Forest. There are over 44 miles of trails for the masses. You can hike and bike. There is swimming and camping, too. There are three main trails for you to choose from. The signs at trail heads will let you know what you can expect ahead or behind. Pay attention to them. You can plan ahead by getting a map at their website.

5  Thank Ma_2719
Reviewed 16 February 2016

I love Bent Creek for so many reasons.
First of all, it's close. I can't always escape for a whole day on a hike in the blue ridge or a 30 minute commute, this is close to Asheville and it's the perfect escape to nature.
It's also free if you park at a certain place for the trails- I think you only have to pay access to the park if you want to go fishing, I'm unsure.
There are trails for biking and hiking that are more vigorous, but there is a loop that goes through the park and around Lake Powhatan that is the perfect amount-- not too strenuous but not a simple short walk.
I often see families here with their kids and it reminds me of the hikes I used to take with mine, I am always happy to see them out. Lots of joggers, bikes, too on some days- you just have to be mindful of those around you, or on busy beautiful days.
Although it's not allowed, I have my dog off leash here, and I find many other people do as well. You can see enough ahead of you if a person is coming to put your dog on a leash.
I have seen a bear here, though, so be careful! I was lucky and left her alone- no babies around. It was getting dark.
I come here every weekend to walk my dog and get a little taste of the mountains. It can be busy, so I usually go early mornings or later in the evening to be alone.

2  Thank Megan C
Reviewed 26 January 2016

This makes for a nice hiking/walking area near Asheville. It can be tough to find, so don't blindly trust your GPS.

2  Thank Stephen H