Bent Creek Experimental Forest
Review Highlights
Bent Creek Trail System

This is a wonderful park close to Asheville, not far from the Blue Ridge Parkway. It lies next to... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
MacNamband
Asheville, North Carolina
Very good outdoor experience for summer, here's why...

We are currently local to the experimental forest and make it a place to go during the summer... read more

Reviewed 21 August 2017
2Whitakers
Asheville, North Carolina, United States

Recommended experiences in and around Asheville
from USD 19.99
from USD 109.00
from USD 80.00
from USD 300.00
More Info
All reviews mountain biking single track trail system east of the mississippi great hiking the blue ridge parkway hikers loop trailhead bike wildlife leash paths roots technical fishing river
Reviewed 31 July 2016

Bent is a bear sanctuary and, as the title of the forest denotes, an experimental area for the rangers. Some studies are more than eighty years old. And it is big brother is the Pisgah National Forest. There are over 44 miles of trails for the masses. You can hike and bike. There is swimming and camping, too. There are three main trails for you to choose from. The signs at trail heads will let you know what you can expect ahead or behind. Pay attention to them. You can plan ahead by getting a map at their website.

Date of experience: May 2016
5  Thank Ma_2719
Reviewed 16 February 2016

I love Bent Creek for so many reasons.
First of all, it's close. I can't always escape for a whole day on a hike in the blue ridge or a 30 minute commute, this is close to Asheville and it's the perfect escape to nature.
It's also free if you park at a certain place for the trails- I think you only have to pay access to the park if you want to go fishing, I'm unsure.
There are trails for biking and hiking that are more vigorous, but there is a loop that goes through the park and around Lake Powhatan that is the perfect amount-- not too strenuous but not a simple short walk.
I often see families here with their kids and it reminds me of the hikes I used to take with mine, I am always happy to see them out. Lots of joggers, bikes, too on some days- you just have to be mindful of those around you, or on busy beautiful days.
Although it's not allowed, I have my dog off leash here, and I find many other people do as well. You can see enough ahead of you if a person is coming to put your dog on a leash.
I have seen a bear here, though, so be careful! I was lucky and left her alone- no babies around. It was getting dark.
I come here every weekend to walk my dog and get a little taste of the mountains. It can be busy, so I usually go early mornings or later in the evening to be alone.

Date of experience: February 2016
2  Thank Megan C
Reviewed 26 January 2016

This makes for a nice hiking/walking area near Asheville. It can be tough to find, so don't blindly trust your GPS.

Date of experience: December 2015
2  Thank Stephen H
Reviewed 29 October 2015

Not sure if I'm posting this review in the right spot but the mountain biking at Bent Creek is awesome!

Date of experience: June 2015
2  Thank Jack W
Reviewed 29 October 2015

So close to town and yet once you're there, you feel you're a million miles away in the wilderness. There are trails galore, from a short walk around Lake Powhatan to all-day treks. Good for mountain biking and great place to bring the dogs. Trails are mostly easy--flat to gently rolling terrain and much of it is on dirt roads. Mostly wooded, not a place for majestic views.

Date of experience: August 2015