“Accomodations were Horrible. A swarm of bees inside room”
Review of Shoji Spa & Lodge

Shoji Spa & Lodge
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Asheville's only private outdoor hot tub spa. A Japanese style hot tub retreat nestled in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains and overlooking the Blue Ridge Parkway yet only 8 minutes east of downtown Asheville. Experience breathtaking views, the cedar sauna and invigorating cold plunge, luxury showers with Japanese shampoo, conditioner & body products. We supply everything you need including your robe, sandals, and towels. We offer private outdoor hot tubs, massages, yoga, spa packages, seasonal specials and even overnight lodging. Refresh your body and renew your spirit at Shoji's earthy sanctuary.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 6 January 2012

The hot tubs have a beautiful view and you are in your own private area, the massage also was good however the ambiance could have been better. However, the nightmare began once I got to my room! It looked nice a first glance with a view of the mountains... then I noticed bees on the window... but they were inside! I looked at the bathroom jacuzzi (brown) 60'S don't you think. I complianed about the bees I am talking dozens... what would you like us to do.... I checked out pronto.

5  Thank Tangaroa

Reviewed 4 January 2012

The first time I came here I loved this place - really the hot/cold tub was the best part - and daydream a lot about revisiting. I did the one hr private tub. It clean and there was a small outdoor stove with wood burning. The place had a wonderfully relaxing a serene ambiance; a remote retreat feel so close to Asheville. The shower facility was great too - I think I spend a good half hr in there. Sauna was nice too if you like dry saunas; smelled great and was clean. Absolutely beautiful setting even with all the leaves gone in winter. The only thing that this place was really lacking was service, in terms of friendly/helpful custumer staff. For the amount of money you pay, I expect more in terms of service. I also got a one hr massage, which was nice but much to write home about. It was in a space that was just separated by curtains, so I didn't feel there was much privacy. Also, I tried to visit again Memorial Day weekend but the receptionist gave me the wrong info so we never ended up going! I was really upset because I was really looking forward to being there again on my way home from a weekend of camping. We wanted to try the 'group spa' time because it is more affordable - I had called in advance to make sure they were open that Monday and if I needed to make reservations; I asked several questions and she assured me that I didn't need reservations and that group spa time would be available. The receptionist had completely misinformed me. When I called again Monday to confirm, they said there was no group spa time that day because it was a holiday. I was irate - she didn't even apologize or ask who it was I spoke too. Terrible service. Even the first time I was there, the guy there at the reception desk was rather cold and not so helpful, like it was a bother that we were there. He warmed up a little after talking to him but just only a little.

2  Thank koreanita
Reviewed 29 December 2011

My husband and I decided to go at last minute on our trip. One of the deciding factors was that bathing suits in the tub was optional, since we didn't think to pack bathing suits on our winter trip to Asheville. The receptionist was incredibly accommodating. We brought our own wine and she prepped the bottle and served it to us on a tray with glasses. We couldn't afford the massage, but the private tub experience was well worth the price. We plan on going again and staying at the retreat. The only thing I wish I'd done was to bring a hairbrush for after my final shower.

2  Thank Sneal1009
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Privately tucked away, neat experience, wonderful ambiance. My wife and I did the "Double The Fun" package. The girl at the front desk was very accomodating. The private huts with the hot tub were very romantic. Thats about where the good experience ended. My wife said her massage by Charmaine was good, but my massage by Andra left a lot to be desired. I have had many massages, but this was the first where my head nor neck were even touched. She left in the middle of the massage for a few minutes. Not the best technique. I left my massage more tense than I came in because it was dissapointing for the money we spent. Mixed opinion.

6  Thank Tacomajason
Reviewed 19 November 2011

My husband treated me to a shoji soak on my birthday. It was a very thoughtful (and pricey) gift, and I was looking forward to it. the environment at shoji is relaxing and the design of the place is very well done. If you have ever been to 10 thousand waves in Santa Fe, you will notice the effort to create a similar style and ambience. Unfortunately, the tub we soaked in was so full of chlorine that it absolutely reeked, and that made it difficult to enjoy. If a tub is properly emptied and cleaned between users, I don't think it's necessary to go toxic with the chlorine. It's really a shame because I probably won't go back.

3  Thank talaria9