“Pubic Hair on Sheets”
Review of Step Back Inn

Step Back Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Aztec B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 August 2009

My husband and I attended the Blues Festival. He checked in and put our things in the room and then walked back to the festival. We didn't get back to the room until after 11:00pm. When he turned down the bed, there was pubic hair and a huge blood stain. The other bed in the room was harder than a piece of plywood. The front desk is not manned after 10:00pm, so there was no one to complain to. We complained the next morning and were given $10 off the room.....a $90 room. I wrote a letter to the proprietor and explained the situation. He/she sent the letter back with a note saying we should stay somewhere else in the future. I guess blood-stained sheets, covered with someone else's pubic hair is the normal there. That type of reply from an inn owner tells me that's the way it is and we are not going to change our standards. If you're in the area, just drive on to Durango or Farmington, don't stay in a dirty hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DurangoSoonerGal

Reviewed 24 April 2009

• To Aztec Representatives;

• I have to complain due to the timeline that this experience has weighed on me.
Hello, My name is Mark Mattice. I came to visit family in Aztec last March as I always do about every 4 to 6 months a year. I was referred to the Step Back Inn hotel. My initial experience with the hotel was pleasant and the room appeared to be in order. I was soon to learn the next morning that the room had no sink or shower pressure. The sink had just enough pressure to run down the faucet and wet the basin. You would have to rub your toothbrush on the sink to get it wet!!! Then the shower..Turned on full blast, would provide a stream as if you were using a squirt bottle to wash your hair, literally a stream and a mist of fog on the outside. I approached a gal at the desk, which I figured out was a maid was very sincere and apologetic BUT only offered to move me IF we stayed another night. I said my wife is not happy but I would ask..What was I thinking.. After we loaded our luggage (to go shower at my sister’s house) I went to check out and delt with an older Lady which I learned was the Owner/Operator of the hotel. She never apologized for our experience just stated that (Nobody else has complained) nor did she want to come verify my complaint. This statement obviously disturbed me. She did offer for my wife to shower in another room but that’s not what we paid for. I asked if we could recover some of the expense and she said no. I feel due the the signs that are displayed in the morning (Which weren’t there or noticed the evening before) I feel there is a scam being conducted at the Step Back Inn or at the very least they do not conduct business in good faith. These signs said (Check your room) I do, never have had to check sink or shower water. (No cash accepted) what this about? I did not use cash but I assume they want to be able to charge your debit/credit card at their whim. After my experience, I checked my card. And last but not least NO REFUNDS..They got me here. Cost me $80.00 for my wife and myself to NOT brush our teeth or get a shower. How would you feel at this point and you paid for it? You would feel like a victim. This is not what you or anybody would expect or pay for when you get a Motel/hotel room. I have had a bad experience in Aztec due to this hotel/motel and I would like to recover at least half my money, wouldn’t that be fair? Obviously, It’s more principle than the money but I would like to see them try to rectify this in good faith. I will return, I have family there.. I hope that this letter spurs the (powers at be) to protect this community and the travelers (myself) that spend money there and keeps business operators in check.
I am contacting you to inspect The Step Back Inn. If this is not your department, please contact me and let me know, or forward my complaint to the right people.
I would like to be notified on the action and resolution to this issue. Thank You
cc. New Mexico lodging Association Mark Mattice

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank august97
Reviewed 3 October 2008

I stayed at the Inn as part of an Elderhostel tour. The reviews are generally right. For us old folks it was fine; quiet, clean, etc.
The cutsie "victorian" decor was at odds with the staff and the many notices posted which made it the least friendly place we stayed on a 10 day tour.

• Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank Lexie914
Reviewed 26 July 2008

I procrastinated in making a reservation for Farmington, NM. Unknowingly, the National High School Rodeo was launching that weekend, so there were no hotels available in Farmington itself.

Aztec is about 8 miles from Farmington. I was pleasantly surprised to find the Step Back Inn as nice as it was. Very well run. Nicely decorated rooms with room names from area historical families. Each room had a story to tell. Beds were comfortable, rooms were quiet. Wireless internet didn't reach my room, but the inn has a beautiful, large parlor with plenty of places to plug in...coffee and tea and juices available and more historical pictures and antiques. The property is 14 years old. Clerks were very friendly and helpful. Huge homemade-type cinnamon rolls were available for breakfast . Plenty of restaurants nearby. No pool.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank daburck
Reviewed 22 June 2008

we drove into Aztec looking for a motel and did a double take when we passed the Step Back Inn. Not only is it stepped back a little from the busy road, hence quiet, it is also a step back in time in the way it is presented. Although the building structure seems modern, the decor is tastefully period, with quality furnishings. I actually sampled 3 rooms as the wifi link doesn't reach all the way to the back, but the staff were excellent in the way they put themselves out to get this right for us. Their effort paid off, as we liked it sufficiently to stay for 3 nights rather than the original 1 night stop we had planned.

All rooms are the same size (large) although some have just one bed. Good quality bathroom (no tubs, just showers). Aircon is reasonably quiet. All 3 rooms I looked at were scrupulously clean, and have a really fresh feel. There is a nice patio above the reception area on which we ate supper one night, as the sun went down over Aztec, and despite this being at the front of the motel, it was pleasant and quiet, and we had a good view of the flower beds out front that give the place some character. There is also a very pleasant lounge room for residents (with piano) that doubles as breakfast room. Next door there is a good chinese restaurant that does nice takeouts, and there are other good eateries adjacent.

Nice coffee and juice for breakfast, and the only small criticism I have is that the cinamon roll is a bit limited as breakfast fare - but no complaints as the breakfast is free.

All desk staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. I'd certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Aztec_Tripper
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aztec
2.3 km away
Courtyard Farmington
#7 of 23 in Farmington
15.3 km away
Best Western Plus The Four Corners Inn

Been to Step Back Inn? Share your experiences!