“Great views”

Ranked #25 of 100 Restaurants in Moab
Price range: USD 12 - USD 25
Good for: Romantic, View, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Sunset Grill is in the former home of Uranium King Charlie Steen. In the early 1950s Moab was a small farming community. Arches and Canyonlands were places only a lucky few experienced. In 1952 Charles A. Steen, geologist and prospector, put Moab on the world map. The Sunset Grill specializes in hand-cut steaks, prime rib, seafood, and other traditional dishes.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

The views from the outside seating are excellent. The food was good, I was expecting better. But really it was just good. The prices are a little on the expensive side but you are paying for where you are eating. Service was ok. The waitress seemed forgetful and too busy. She had a hard time handling her tables. it took 3 times asking to get more than water.
I had the special Mahi Mahi with mango and strawberry on top. I found this to be too sweet for my taste. My wife had the salmon and that was much better. Kids had chicken and rice which was just fine.
I would suggest the place for the views and atmosphere but don't expect the food to be over the top.
The drive is a narrow winding road but they do offer a free shuttle from town. Nice option if you are going to have a few drinks.

Date of visit: April 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,249)

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We decided to make reservations to eat here after a day of riding. Very friendly staff and great food. Most of us ordered the Filet special. Delicious! The owner came out to talk to us and ended up giving our group a history lesson on Moab. Best evening of the week!!!

2  Thank CLindsey71
Reviewed 22 March 2018

This restaurant promised delicious food in a high-quality setting. It was an utter failure. We sat at our table for 20 minutes before the waitress made her first appearance. We ordered appetizers, drinks, steaks...we eventually allowed our 6-year old to find a waitress-any waitress-to ask for bread or something to eat. This was after we had been seated for 51 minutes. The waitress finally brought the bread and salads, and then almost immediately brought our steaks, so that we didn’t have time to eat the salads despite being half-starved by this point. I had ordered my strip steak medium-rare; it was served raw. I mean purple, cold-in-the-middle raw. I sent it back. Then my son tried his prime rib. It was so salty he couldn’t eat it. We didn’t want to send back another dinner, so he just shared with us. I would tolerate any one of these things at a cheap, $10 steakhouse, but if I’m going to drop $30+ for an entree, I expect better service and edible food. Save your time and money and go elsewhere.

3  Thank anthropologist_12
Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Amazing end to a great day in the National Parks. The Atmosphere was relaxed and special. The restaurant is full of dinosaur fossils, uranium history, and rooms of exciting decor. It's the former home of the famous Charlie Steen, who made the major uranium find in 1952.
The food was excellent. I had the New York Strip, baked potatoe and veggies. Add bread and salad and there was farmmore than I could eat. My date had the special, stuffed salmon and loved it as well.
I can't say enough about the employees. Peter was our server but the young lady working our room was also great. They both welcomed us to Moab, answered all of our questions about the area and did everything they could to make our evening out perfect. No reservations needed, plenty of room so normally no wait. They provide shuttle service if you have a large motor home or are pulling a trailer, as the road has a few turns.
Had the pleasure of meeting the manager as well. John is so amazing. His employees really admire him and he obviously cares for them. By the time we left, I had a new friend. If you visit Moab, treat yourself to an elegant dinner at the Sunset Grill.

Reviewed 17 March 2018

Ask for Karla- she was excellent! our first time in Moab and this place was a great place to start the weekend! We missed the sunset but the food was great, staff was excellent and very friendly! Would highly recommend anyone to check out! We look forward to coming back!

Date of visit: March 2018

Been to Sunset Grill? Share your experiences!