New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Red Cliffs Lodge

Red Cliffs Lodge
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Moab
Walnut Creek, CA
“Great stay, but some customer service issues”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

We just stayed 3 nights and really enjoyed our stay. The view is phenomenal, and there is so much to do. We had a double queen creekside room, and there is so much room, even for a family of 4 with 2 kids. No question, I would highly recommend the Red Cliffs Lodge.

But, sometimes I felt like I was being nickeled and dimed. For instance, I just wanted a glass of milk to bring back to our room for the kids - $2.03. Then I wanted to see if they had some needle and thread. The first response was, "We can sell you one. Oh wait, we may be out, but I can probably sell you some safety pins."

I'm not looking for a hand-out, but the rooms are not cheap. And when every little request is met with "well this is going to cost you X", that just rubs me the wrong way. I just think a highly regarded place like the Red Cliffs Lodge can afford to give staff leeway in how they handle customer requests. Otherwise I'd be raving about how awesome the Lodge is (and it is awesome), instead of needle, thread and safety pins. (in all fairness, I was ultimately given 3 safey pins for free).

Finally, the last morning of our stay, there was a cockroach in my bathtub. No idea how it got there, but totally skeeved me out - bleck!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank eortman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012 via mobile

There are so many positives it's hard to know where to start. For starters, the scenery is amazing. The Red Cliffs Lodge is nestled in a valley along the river, situated under some amazing cliffs. The view in the morning and at dusk are breathtaking. There are many activites to do in the Moab area. We came out to rent a jeep and participate in the Jeep Safari weekend...highly recommend the folks at Farrabee Jeep rentals. If you like horsesback riding, Red Cliffs is a great place to be. The staff is very friendly and super helpful. The thing that impressed me the most is that our queen suite was absolutely SPOTLESS. Hats off to the housekeeping team. I have never stayed anywhere so clean. My 10 year old son commented numerous times that he thought the Red Cliffs staff showed a lot of passion for their jobs. We ate at the restaurant a couple of times and the food was always good. While there, you must try a glass of wine (or two) from their local winery.

Overall, an amazing stay and we plan to make it a regular yearly trip. Thanks, Red Cliffs Lodge! For a great Spring Break!

Stayed April 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

Red Cliffs Lodge is a great spot in Moab for families who want to be a bit off the beaten path. Location is in the stunning Castle Valley, which you will recognize immediately if you're a John Ford/ John Wayne fan. The lodge has a lot of nice touches for mountain bikers, such as the storage areas for bikes. The layout of the lodge makes it easy to pack & unpack your gear. And although the restaurant is upscale, you'll feel comfortable there either dressed up or casual due to the Western decor. What I really want to talk about are the trail rides.... we have done trail rides all over the West but the scenery here is just phenomenal, the horses are very well-trained, and they had incredibly comfortable saddles. Our two lady wranglers were experts and it was one of the best trail rides we've ever done. Staying here at Red Cliffs was a real treat, and we found the 15-minute ride along 128 from Moab was a nice way to unwind after a day of hiking & sightseeing in Arches and Canyonlands.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for about a week in March, and our stay was excellent! We checked in later in the evening, and the woman at the desk was just about the friendliest person whom I've ever experienced at a hotel. The room was perfect for our needs, spacious and had a stunning view of the Colorado River. I would suggest this hotel to anyone staying in the area. For us, the extra drive time from Moab (only about 15 minutes) was totally worth it. Plus, there are a bunch of great hiking trails close to the hotel. All in all, it was a wonderful stay!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brenda M
Ashburn, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Altho it's 14 miles from Moab, this is a great spot to serve as an anchor for your visits to these two beautiful parks. Not the cheapest lodging alternative in the Moab area, but probably the most scenic. The pix on their website are accurate. Restaurant menu was fine, and the quality of the food was excellent. Rooms are fine, but very little cell coverage since its located in a canyon. The adjoining winery has excellent wines for reasonable prices. We'd stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple