“Great opportunity to see the night sky like you've never seen it!”
Review of RedRock Astronomy

RedRock Astronomy
Ranked #32 of 95 things to do in Moab
More attraction details
Owner description: Don't miss your opportunity to view Moab and the surrounding area in its unique dark sky setting. SEE the stars & planets as you have never seen them before! COME ALONG with Alex as he shows you faraway galaxies, glittering star clusters, nebulae, & other breathtaking celestial sights with his high-powered telescopes and learning tools. Groups from 2-40, young & old alike, can share in this spectacular stargazing experience. Daytime solar viewing also available.
Frankfort
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great opportunity to see the night sky like you've never seen it!”
Reviewed 15 September 2012

This is a must when you're out in the Arches / Canyonlands area. Alex filled the evening with great stories and information, and was very accommodating to our young child (4 years old). I highly recommend calling him up when you're out this way. I was concerned this was something that filled up weeks in advance, but we were able to get a spot in one of the planned groups by calling the day before. The sky is magical out here, and to see it through the powerful telescope is something else. We viewed at the Andromeda galaxy (my fave), a nebula, double stars, and planets... a little bit of everything.

Visited September 2012

Jerusalem
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Red Rock Astronomy”
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We were thrilled with our evening with Alex Ludwig, who took us out of the city to a place where we could really see the sky and stars. He began with a brief history of telescopes and astronomy as the sky darkened and then set up the scopes. Alex interspersed the viewing with many stories about the region. Although there were 10 of us in the group (the maximum he takes), we all got a chance to see each of the settings. The highlights included a double star, a circle of stars, and the main event of the evening was seeing Saturn with its rings as "clear as day". The $25 fee is extremely reasonable for an evening that went on and on. Although advertised as an hour and a half to two hours, we actually spent more than three hours looking through the scope with Alex, and we were the ones to call a halt to the evening. A very entertaining night, which we highly recommend!

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Eli P
carmel
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great evening”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The owner, Alex, is really personable and knowledgeable. My daughter and I loved it. Highly recommend him.

Visited June 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Interesting but Lacking”
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Alex is a fun entertaining person. He was most accommodating to our ever changing schedule. The night sky in Moab is beautiful! If you are a novice, an evening with red rock astronomy will be great. If you know something about constellations or have ever been to an outdoor astronomy club event you will be frustrated. We did get to view saturn which was the highlight. My family enjoyed the evening, I wanted more.

Visited June 2012
AlexinMoab, Owner at RedRock Astronomy, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Thanks for your review, we appreciate all the input we get from our guests, I am always working to improve the program!!
I am happy your family enjoyed the night! I'm not sure what was lacking from your experience as the review does not say what you hoped for ‘More of”!!
I must apologize as this guest had written to me she was interested in constellation viewing and I should have made a point of mentioning that ours is not much of a constellational program.
We have several Natl. Park and state park constellation programs right here in the area offered once or twice a month for free, so I have made a choice to have a program that is different than what is offered to most of our guests by planetariums and parks in their hometowns across the world.
I do try to make a clear on the website that this is more of a telescope viewing program, as this is what our guests have asked for. That being said, we can do constellation, solar and any other type of program requested by our guests; I recently drove over 100 miles of dirt road to offer a special program like this!!' Have Telescopes will travel'!!
I do this because I love doing it, and strive to offer an excellent program at far less than half the cost of some others, making it affordable to all families and groups!! On a viewing night like this We try to view at least 2-3 star clusters,2-3 nebulae,2-3 galaxies, some binary or double stars and all the planets we can see!! Moon conditions being bright affect this but we go to 12-20 objects a night with plenty of viewing time and excellent equipment!! We also spend some time on telescope history and design, and the program is about 2.5hours!!! If there are kids, times can be shortened. So I must choose how best to spend our trip time, although suggestions and requests are happily accepted!!
blanco, tx
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“I traveled in Space for a few Hours”
Reviewed 17 May 2012

A high mesa near Moab, Utah became my "Space Ship" for a few hours as Alex, our cosmic guide, took us on a space trip to see the remains of a Super Nova which exploded centuries ago, a Galaxy beyond our Galaxy, Planets visible this night in May, 2012, Star clusters, much much more. All the time Alex talked [with expert knowledge, intelligence & enthusiasm] about space/stars past, present and future.

Oh, as we arrived at the destination, the sun was setting. It was beyond spectacular...........

To find a person willing to share his extensive knowledge of astronomy was wonderful. However, that was not all. He also shared his knowledge of the surrounding countryside. Locating the National Parks and many points of interested that could be seen from this high mesa. He talked about each area with great enthusiasm.
Always patient with our many questions.
It was, for me a spiritual adventure. The sunset, the Stars seen were mind-boggling. I would wish for everyone to have this opportunity.
I hope to be a better person as a result of this inspirational experience.

Jo