“Great opportunity to see the night sky like you've never seen it!”
Review of RedRock Astronomy

RedRock Astronomy
Ranked #8 of 102 things to do in Moab
More attraction details
Owner description: Don't miss your opportunity to view Moab and the surrounding area in its unique dark sky setting. SEE the stars & planets as you have never seen them before! COME ALONG with Alex as he shows you faraway galaxies, glittering star clusters, nebulae, & other breathtaking celestial sights with his high-powered telescopes and learning tools. Groups from 2-40, young & old alike, can share in this spectacular stargazing experience. Daytime solar viewing also available.
Reviewed 15 September 2012

This is a must when you're out in the Arches / Canyonlands area. Alex filled the evening with great stories and information, and was very accommodating to our young child (4 years old). I highly recommend calling him up when you're out this way. I was concerned this was something that filled up weeks in advance, but we were able to get a spot in one of the planned groups by calling the day before. The sky is magical out here, and to see it through the powerful telescope is something else. We viewed at the Andromeda galaxy (my fave), a nebula, double stars, and planets... a little bit of everything.

All reviews
"excellent excursion"
"celestial bodies"
"solar eclipse"

Reviewed 21 July 2012

We were thrilled with our evening with Alex Ludwig, who took us out of the city to a place where we could really see the sky and stars. He began with a brief history of telescopes and astronomy as the sky darkened and then set up the scopes. Alex interspersed the viewing with many stories about the region. Although there were 10 of us in the group (the maximum he takes), we all got a chance to see each of the settings. The highlights included a double star, a circle of stars, and the main event of the evening was seeing Saturn with its rings as "clear as day". The $25 fee is extremely reasonable for an evening that went on and on. Although advertised as an hour and a half to two hours, we actually spent more than three hours looking through the scope with Alex, and we were the ones to call a halt to the evening. A very entertaining night, which we highly recommend!

2  Thank Eli P
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The owner, Alex, is really personable and knowledgeable. My daughter and I loved it. Highly recommend him.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

A high mesa near Moab, Utah became my "Space Ship" for a few hours as Alex, our cosmic guide, took us on a space trip to see the remains of a Super Nova which exploded centuries ago, a Galaxy beyond our Galaxy, Planets visible this night in May, 2012, Star clusters, much much more. All the time Alex talked [with expert knowledge, intelligence & enthusiasm] about space/stars past, present and future.

Oh, as we arrived at the destination, the sun was setting. It was beyond spectacular...........

To find a person willing to share his extensive knowledge of astronomy was wonderful. However, that was not all. He also shared his knowledge of the surrounding countryside. Locating the National Parks and many points of interested that could be seen from this high mesa. He talked about each area with great enthusiasm.
Always patient with our many questions.
It was, for me a spiritual adventure. The sunset, the Stars seen were mind-boggling. I would wish for everyone to have this opportunity.
I hope to be a better person as a result of this inspirational experience.

Jo

3  Thank jo s
See more reviews
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We visited Moab during spring break this year. I found Alex via an internet search and called him a couple of weeks before our trip. He was very friendly and suggested what he thought would be the best nights for stargazing during the time that we would be in Moab. He called me after we arrived and we ended up having to reschedule due to weather. We met him in town and he led us out to a mesa near Dead Horse Point north of Moab. There were 10 people in our group ranging from 2 to 75 years old. While he set up his equipment he talked a lot about the geology and history of the area, including the La Sal Mountains which we could see perfectly from our site. His native American heritage lent a unique perspective and insight to the entire evening. The night was clear but also pretty cold for the young ones so we ended up calling it a night after just about 2 1/2 hours. Alex was very laid back and I got the impression that he would have stayed there talking about the heavens all night. That would have been fine with me! As far as I'm concerned this was one of the high points of the trip. Thanks, Alex!!

3  Thank Craig B