“Complete and Total Pleasant Surprise!!”
Review of Bowen Motel

Bowen Motel
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Moab
Bellevue, Washington
“Complete and Total Pleasant Surprise!!”
Reviewed 27 September 2011

I think my son and I got the last hotel room in Moab in September. It was at the Bowen. The description of what I needed and the price were certainly right. But the proof is always when you show up. Wow what a great little place.

Sparkling clean, and owned for the last 36 years by a local, the hotel, while not fancy at all, is obviously well cared for with a lot of little touches that made the stay great.

Heated Pool with covered patio? Check
Pool impeccably clean at all times? Check
Bike wash? Check
Pool towels? Check
Refrigerator? Check
Microwave? Check
Room neat? Check
Dust cloths in the room for your gear? Check
Continental Breakfast, internet usage, right on the main drag, and many many other things? Check and Check.

Downside? Get an upper floor. Thin walls and thin floors. Rooms a bit stuffy. Road noise is loud.

I can't express how tickled I was with the stay, and the fact that they are upgrading and replacing the old furniture soon was something they were only too glad to tell me about.

Great stay. For the price you can't beat it.

Room Tip: Get an upper floor, otherwise you will hear stomping all morning long as people mill around in the m...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank sumiyoshi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I highly enjoyed my stay at the Bowen. I was allowed to check in early and they upgraded my room! The room I was given was clean, and smelled clean as well. I will stay anytime I come down to Moab, and am planning a visit in October. Thanks for honoring great customer service, 5+ stars!

• Stayed July 2011
Central Florida
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I stayed at Bowen motel twice. Once in #115, (up five or six steps) a triple room (three beds -no recliners) and once in 107, a two bed units. Both had a microwave and a small refrigerator of sorts. The family room had a hair dryer...and a table, a good size area & some extra seating. Hotel THOUGHTFULLY had old cloths for you to clean up after a wilderness adventure. Hotel had two computers...and would print boarding passes for you. Sometimes internet was spotty. Breakfast was minimal. They had gallons of milk and real orange juice, fruit (apples and banana), coffee, cocoa and tea. A couple dry cereals..maybe fruit loops and bran flakes, Plain toast and bagels. I did not see cream cheese. They had peanut butter, jelly and margarine. They had tables outdoor for dining Al Fresco. Due to steps at office and in rooms, not sure how "accessible" this would be. Parking is limited and trailers are not permitted. Hotel gets a very good rating because it is great for Moab. Convenient to walk to restaurants, etc. and enjoy. And the front desk folks were very friendly. I felt I could ask them for help and they would accommodate...(Unlike my recent Marriott). To be clear, this is a motel. Not fancy. But it was fine for a pre and post wilderness adventure. Glad I found it.

Room Tip: bring ear plugs. ask for a room based upon your needs. Some do not have microwave, for example.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
magalia
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We had one of the rooms with a king bed and two recliners. We usually stay in more upscale places, and compared to them, the Bowen room is shabby with very cheap and old furniture which is arranged in a very strange way.

The bed is tucked into a smaller area right next to the bathroom, so there is no space on one side for a bedside table and very little space to walk, so the person sleeping on that side has to crawl over the bed to get into bed. While laying in bed, you look directly into the bathroom and can hear everything that goes on in there. The recliners are arranged on either side of a round table, with the TV situated to be viewed from them. You can't watch TV from the bed. We tried using our computer (there is WiFi service) but there is no desk space and it is difficult to use a computer on the round table while sitting in a recliner! There is a huge open space left in the larger part of the room, with a dresser, fridge and bench for suitcase all lined up along a wall facing the recliners. The clothes hanging space is directly over the suitcase bench, so when we hung our clothing there we couldn't see inside of our suitcases. Due to the way it is arranged, this is probably the most unpleasant space I've ever stayed in while traveling. I think the owners need to visit a Hampton Inn or some other nicer hotel to get some clues about room arrangement. Recliners are not a plus when they are in rooms that are so oddly arranged.

We didn't eat breakfast because the breakfast tables are located in an unpleasant space outside, beside the building, right on the driveway or front walk. There is nothing pleasing about eating breakfast on a hot asphalt driveway.

The linens are thin and cheap, and the bottom sheet didn't completely cover the mattress, leaving about 6 inches of bare mattress exposed at the bottom. When water is used in rooms above or beside, the noise is terrible. The towels are also thin, but on the plus side, they provided plenty of clean towels both days. The toilet paper holder is broken, the sink rim has a burn hole and a crack, and the floor molding in front of the tub is disgusting. Other then that the room seemed clean and the maid did a nice job. We appreciated that fact that the fridge in the room also had a separate freezer, and there was a microwave in the room if we needed it.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms with the recliners.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
BowenMotel, Manager at Bowen Motel, responded to this review, 30 October 2011
The layout could be better; I will make note of your comments and make some changes. I do feel your review was greatly exaggerated. You are comparing this motel with the Hampton Inn which is like comparing apples to oranges, please remember we are not the Hampton Inn and don’t claim to be. I respectfully say pay twice as much and get what you like there. The Bowen Motel is reasonably priced for what you get. FYI we are going to make some changes this winter and update the rooms. We will be keeping up with the Jones’s.
California
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I've stayed at Bowen a number of times now. It's my favorite place to stay in my favorite town to visit. I really like Moab. Anyway, this year was a little different. We got the fancy room with the twin recliners, just like last year. The room is nice enough, a king, two recliners which are great to relax in after a day at the parks, a microwave and refrigerator. Clean, good service, a pool, pretty much just what I like. Except this year something odd was going on, everything in the room got damp. This is the middle of the desert, how can it get damp??? But it did. Kind of unpleasant to put on damp clothes in the morning. Everything just felt wet, it was very odd. And internet was odd too, they had some sort of firewall or something that would block a lot of things. No, I'm not talking anything strange, things like a search or even a second page on Newegg, a large online electronics retailer. I mean I got there and wasn't happy with my pictures so I wanted to look at cameras, but no, it wouldn't let me. An automotive forum, it wouldn't let me post anything. I know it wasn't the sites themselves as I could log on to the motel across the street and things worked fine. I asked the gentleman at the desk and he kind of made light of both the dampness and internet but said he'd try to reset it. Nothing changed.

The prices are reasonable, rooms are nice, service is nice, location is great, we walked to dinner every night, but it was definitely down a notch from the past. Much to my disappointment as I really like staying here.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
BowenMotel, Manager at Bowen Motel, responded to this review, 27 August 2011
We will look into the dampness of your room, which is very odd. Regarding the internet problems we are unable to track down why you would not have been able to access whatever you wished. We shop new egg ourselves and use the same internet service on the property you do and were successful navigating through anything, may I suggest when you return let’s look into again together, ask for the guy who responds to these reviews. We are planning serious upgrades to the property this coming winter so I ask that you try us one more time. These upgrades will be great and will include room remodels, new furniture, internet access upgrades, etc.