“My favorite is starting to fade”
Review of Bowen Motel

Bowen Motel
Ranked #18 of 37 Hotels in Moab
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I've stayed at Bowen a number of times now. It's my favorite place to stay in my favorite town to visit. I really like Moab. Anyway, this year was a little different. We got the fancy room with the twin recliners, just like last year. The room is nice enough, a king, two recliners which are great to relax in after a day at the parks, a microwave and refrigerator. Clean, good service, a pool, pretty much just what I like. Except this year something odd was going on, everything in the room got damp. This is the middle of the desert, how can it get damp??? But it did. Kind of unpleasant to put on damp clothes in the morning. Everything just felt wet, it was very odd. And internet was odd too, they had some sort of firewall or something that would block a lot of things. No, I'm not talking anything strange, things like a search or even a second page on Newegg, a large online electronics retailer. I mean I got there and wasn't happy with my pictures so I wanted to look at cameras, but no, it wouldn't let me. An automotive forum, it wouldn't let me post anything. I know it wasn't the sites themselves as I could log on to the motel across the street and things worked fine. I asked the gentleman at the desk and he kind of made light of both the dampness and internet but said he'd try to reset it. Nothing changed.

The prices are reasonable, rooms are nice, service is nice, location is great, we walked to dinner every night, but it was definitely down a notch from the past. Much to my disappointment as I really like staying here.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
BowenMotel, Manager at Bowen Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2011

We will look into the dampness of your room, which is very odd. Regarding the internet problems we are unable to track down why you would not have been able to access whatever you wished. We shop new egg ourselves and use the same internet service on the property you do and were successful navigating through anything, may I suggest when you return let’s look into again together, ask for the guy who responds to these reviews. We are planning serious upgrades to the property this coming winter so I ask that you try us one more time. These upgrades will be great and will include room remodels, new furniture, internet access upgrades, etc.

Reviewed 16 August 2011

We were fairly late in booking this motel as it was a quick stop off before heading towards the Rocky Mountains. The room was clean and cool, although a little smelly! The air con worked brilliantly but kept us awake at night - take some ear plugs. The free wi fi was brilliant as we were travelling and booking at the same time. We had breakfast around the corner at Jail House Cafe - was delicious. For dinner we went to the Brewery House which is walkable and very pleasant in the cooler evening. A fun town and the best place to access Arches National Park.Overall a cheap place to stay; bed, air con, wifi, bathroom and that's ya lot! Good value for money in my opion. Would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2011

This motel is very solid, it is not by any means upscale but for a pet friendly motel in the budget price range it is quite good. The rooms are clean and the beds were comfortable. The first impression I felt the room was a bit heavy on air freshener / cleaning product smell, but better than smelling something else! The pool is adequate but when it's hot out the kids are happy to be in the water. The best thing about the motel is the location right at the edge of the 'commercial' section of Moab, where the town gets very charming. You can definitely use this as a base to explore the little shops and restaurants (great book shop a block away). The A/C was up to the task in the August heat.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2011

It is right in the heart of Moab, walking distance from the adventure company we picked and close to everything. Many hotels in this price range don't have breakfast at all; we were very happy with the continental breakfast provided and were able to get enough to hold us through to lunch. There wasn't indoor seating for breakfast, but we took it back to our room and that was fine. Desk staff were polite and available, parking was fine. Room was fine, of average size and clean.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Stayed 3 nights. Everything fine.
Close to everything in town.
Breakfast well set-up in lobby.
Pool was useful in 35C temperature.
Large room.