“Worst tour I've ever been on - like an SNL sketch”
Review of Hole 'N the Rock

Hole 'N the Rock
Ranked #53 of 107 things to do in Moab
More attraction details
Owner description: This 14-room home, built in 1945 by its eccentric owner, is a definite must if you're driving near Moab.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

This place has potential, but our visit was terrible. It was terrible 100% due to a tour guide who seemed bored and uninterested in her job. We paid $26 for four people to do a tour that was less than 10 minutes. The house is filled with interesting articles and tidbits.The problem was that the guide was awful.She spoke very quickly and very quietly and very much from a canned script. She couldn't wait to finish the tour. We felt very rushed. There was no joking, no smiles, no interaction. The tour could have been awesome with interaction, questions, assumptions, etc. All things that make a tour guest remember the tour. The only thing we are talking about a week after leaving Moab is how bad that tour was. I have traveled the world and never experienced such a poor job. If you would design a spoof on a bad tour guide, you would model our experience at Hole N the Rock. Someone in the group asked a question, she said "I don't know. I never lived here." We know she never lived here...yet we were to believe her about other things she told us. That was a very rude answer. At the end, she offered that we purchase a book to learn more about the house. Our group suggested she read the book herself, because there were so many questions she didn't answer. Her tour belongs on an SNL sketch.

1  Thank Thyme8
"worth a stop"
in 11 reviews
"interesting place"

Reviewed 3 April 2018

interesting bit of history, great tour if not a bit fast. love the view although seems a bit commercialized with disparate number of businesses there that have nothing to do with the history, such as an exotic petting zoo; which really was not that exotic.

Reviewed 21 March 2018

I have been here before and was impressed. My wife and I were in Moab and I decided to take her there. I was quite displeased. The tour guide rushed us through in about 5 minutes. She clearly was not interested in sharing this gorgeous house with us. I felt like my wife and I were more of a bother to her than anything else. And, of course, at the end of the tour she had a huge tip jar and stated, "If you think the tour guide did a good job, you can leave a tip." I dropped in the 97 cents that was changed to me when I purchased the tickets. She looked rather annoyed at that and did not even say thank you. I will not go back. The house is amazing, but the tour guide we had on 3/17/18 was horrible. She said she normally works in the zoo, could be why she looked like she needed a shower. If you have never been there, it might be worth taking your changes at getting a better tour guide. The house is amazing. So is the story when told with patience and enthusiasm. They have an attached zoo, but I did not tour it.

Wyndee H, Owner at Hole 'N the Rock, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2018

So sorry for your experience here. This will be dealt with immediately. We have been shorthanded here lately just like many others in this small tourist town. We have people multi-tasking. Her behavior is unacceptable. She normally works in the zoo and may have been worried about her behavior but she could have overcome that with her tour. Hope you can find it in your heart to give us another chance.

Reviewed 12 March 2018

We were passing through and this attraction caught the attention of all of us. It's impossible to miss! Incredibly interesting history of the couple who built this home in the rock. They are even buried here. You can even visit their grave! They also have two gift shops with a lot of interesting items and a general store for snacks. There was so much quirky eye candy to look at on the grounds! Walk slowly to see it all! The staff were very friendly. We visited the zoo as well and it was interesting to see the animals. You can tell they are accustomed to being fed by the tourists, especially the zebra who pounded on the fence with his hoof to get our attention. :) I would have liked to see more roaming space for the larger animals, like the zebra and buffalo, but all of them seemed to have items in their pens to entertain them/play with, so that was good. Overall, it was a fun stop. I'm glad we popped in!