“Great learning place.”

John Brown Wax Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: This vintage wax museum opened in 1963 and has hosted thousands of visitors in its many years of operation. Mr. Dorfman, the artist of the realistic hand-made figures, is the very same gifted man who also crafted the figures for Gettysburg. The John Brown Wax Museum is perfect for small groups or large school field trips. It truly does make history "come alive." The museum is seasonal, opening for weekends in March but in April through November, it stays open 7 days a week. Spring and fall hours are 9:00 until 4:30 and summer hours are 10:00 until 5:30. For countless generations, this has been a "must do" activity.
Reviewed 1 September 2017

The first time I went here was when I was a small kid. It was a little creepy. I was more interested in the wax people than in learning . It wasnt untill I was older that I really understood what this place was about. I took my niece here manyl yrs ago and she was freaked out at the place but it left her with a great memory of the museum . I dont think she will ever go back inside. If you have never been there then you need to experience this historic museum.

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"learning"
"fort"

Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

I brought three young teenagers who could barely remember what they learned about John Brown in U. S. history class. This museum made an impact. They were captivated by the details of the figures and then captivated by the details of the story. We had a chance to talk about tough moral issues and the rest of the trip through the town was much more meaningful for all of us. Thank you!

Reviewed 24 July 2017

Haven't been to Harpers Ferry since '97 so revisited the wax museum.
It may be a little outdated but it is well kept and the setting with 87 wax figures gives a good impression of the life of John Brown.

Reviewed 4 July 2017

This is a wonderful place for a family to visit. The manager of the place was wonderful to talk to, and where we wasn't from the area she was a great help in suggesting places to visit and places to eat. She was very friendly and great to talk to.

1  Thank Amanda M
See more reviews
Reviewed 28 June 2017

So, we were walking by and my son wanted to go in. For $7, why not? I learned more about John Brown than I'd known before and he thought it was cool. It was, however, not cool in any literal sense. While I'm sure the enclosed areas with the wax figures were chilled to prevent melting, it was very hot in the "museum," which is just an old house. There are lots of steps up and down to get through the "6 floors." There are multiple figures in each scene, so I'm sure that adds up to the 87 they advertised. Like I said, it was interesting. I don't think I'd have paid any more for it than I did. It took about a half hour to go through the entire thing. If you like history, stop in. But don't feel like you've missed a hidden gem if you skip it. :)