1,604 results
All reviews hitchcock film union square sutter street tenderloin ceiling fan few blocks decent size flat screen tv free coffee stayed here for nights public transport cable car fisherman's wharf around the corner homeless people ferry building lobby
Reviewed 11 January 2010

The hotel was just okay. I went with my husband for a weekend get away. The hotel was alright. Neat idea. The whole place smelled pretty bad though like a musty motel 6. We stayed in a updated room and it still stunk. The rooms were kinda cool, a little clockwork orange. Most of the staff was pleasent. We were close to union square and could walk just about anywhere. San Francisco has a great public transit system too so that helps. I'm not sure if we would stay there again. We have found better places for the same price. Were not really picky but this just wasn't our favorite spot. Also the elevator was a bit scary. But we just took the stairs. So it's not the best hotel but I have stayed in much worse. If your going to be out on the town most of the time this is a good afordable safe place. Try it out.

Reviewed 31 December 2009

This hotel was in a pretty good location, walking distance to the square and close to trams that takes you down to the water. Rooms were nice except for the ghost we experienced on our first night. The lights continued to turn themselves on during the night and even after being turned off would magically turn on again. Reception also informed us the next morning there have been reports of ghosts in the hotel!! Go figure. Staff were helpful however if you have a car don't park at the hotel very expensive, there is a garage just around the corner which was much cheaper and was also valet. Also close to lots of cafe's and little restaurants. Nothing wrong with this hotel :)

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2009

We stayed at this hotel as a relative, staying next door, just had surgery and would be there for 2 weeks. The staff was friendly and accomodating, and the room had (gasp) a really comfortable bed. Small fridge, free wi-fi, desk to work from, well - appointed bath, we would stay there again in a minute. Also, many thanks to the GM (whose name I can't remember) who made the room available and took great care of us.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2009

My boyfriend and I stumbled across this on travel zoo - they were running a special on it ~$100/night for a renovated room (although at first the staff I called to book didn't know about the deal, I talked with one of their associates who did - saved $50/night because of it - guys, if you're paying $140 a night and then get your panties in a wad about it, that's your fault, not the hotels' - they are running a stay 2 nights get the third free deal at the moment...

The difference of the non-renovated/renovated rooms may explain the different reviews: half the hotel is the original style from the Hitchcock film Vertigo, the top half, however, has been remodeled. Have no idea about the non-renovated rooms, but ours was fantastic - organic toiletries, clean, plush bedding and furniture, ipod adapter alarm clock, flat screen tv, bath robes, safe, locking fridge all in the queen size remodeled room we were in. It was tough to leave the room in the mornings our warm bed was so comfy. Our room didn't have a view of much, to be expected in a boutique hotel in the city though.

I agree that the front desk staff is a little snooty tooty (My boyfriend and I are 20 years old and thrifty little travelers - yes, we joined personality perks and unabashedly reminded them we get freebies upon check-in - free wifi, enormous bottle of water, room upgrade if available). They do greet you each time you come in/go and are helpful with questions you have about the city. Very sweet maid staff. Organic tea and coffee in the mornings, computer and printer by the front desk for you to print out your check ins for the airport, maps of the area, whatever - you just plop down and use the internet with it.

Quiet room, I liked the location, seemed closer to Union Square than Tenderloin in any respect, felt safe in the area - we took Muni and BART most of the trip and it's a good central location if you're sightseeing around San Fran - grab the CityPass too - definitely worth the $60 if you're planning on visiting the museums it entails (free Muni for 9 days too!).

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2009

I travel almost twice a month internationally and have stayed in everything from the mondrian in miami to the four seasons in paris and I thought the vertigo was a great boutique hotel with all the amenities you need without the cost. The bathrooms were brand spanking new, the linen beautiful and I loved the little art deco touches in the mirrors and the hors lamps. State of the art appliances and great size rooms. The staff were helpful and friendly even recommending a shuttle bus as a cost saver rather than a taxi. I would definitely stay here again, and wish that personality hotels were located in other locations and not just san fran! Well done to the owners and managers!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends